Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My elder vs. Your elder

"Go ask your elder if you want to know the answer."

How many times have we heard that on here?

Oh well, I went to ask my elder. My aunt married a white guy. He didn't know the answer to any of my powwow related questions. What am I supposed to do? After all, he IS my elder.

Have you ever asked YOUR trusted elder, and he/she didn't know the answer? Have you ever asked your elder about a question of permission to dance another tribes dance? and they said go ahead and do it?

Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

LOL!!!.....I was just going to say what if your elder don't know nothing about nothing in the first place????........Your lost buddy.......cultural identity gone......LOL!!!!............
    sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

my "elders" know... but its hard for them to explain sometimes... so i have to take my mom with me, so she can translate it correctly... LaL!!

thats what u get 4 breaking my heart...

Comment

Or what if your elders are all gone.....

Comment

Dude, I thought it was gonna be like a cage match.

Comment

I did to I thought that this was kinda like my Dad is better than your Dad thing....
            Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

yep, I was lookin for a brawl. Steele's Elder is gonna make her into an Innuit princess so she probably wins anyway.

Comment

Hey Suzzze what about the new improved model of Elder from walmart! For a mere 149.99 they will sell you a real Elder with instructions!

To Elders, seen many come and go. Too many business card thumping wannabees that should never even be called Elders, seniors yes but certainly not Elders. They come and go and fade away. The real ones are there and remain true to their path.
                The ones that get me have websites on teachings and think they are cool. The teachings become a greed for $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and no longer about pride in passing on the heritage. The two Elders that I consider Elders are first very humble and quiet. They never ever toot their own horn. I sit with them and listen to their words, which can be several hours worth. There is no such thing as a fast answer to a question for them, first the question is heard and aborbed, then the mind sets in and the question gets taken apart to the details. Then the minds process the formulation of the question and then come the answers. Not always the way we would wish to hear them but they do come out the way the question is asked. SO to get the answer you want or need to hear, formulation of the question is the biggest issue.

As an example of what not to do.....
                I saw a gal take a bundle of tobacco to an Elder and sit down by his feet. Quietly the person sat there for over an hour, then frustrated got up and left. At the sacred fire this person was gritting her teeth and saying the Elder was useless. I walked over and said why do you say that... her answer was he told me nothing.! I giggled. Getting the attention I said, "for you to hear anything from him you NEEDED TO ASK A QUESTION!"
                Her jaw dropped.
                Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
                Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Suzz we can make you and Innuit princess too!!! I don't want to be the only one it will be to lonely.....

A lot of the time my elders answer my questions with another question, so I have to think about their answer and the answer to the question that they asked me.... they do that so that I have to spend time at peace studying what they have said to me so that the answer comes for the creator often and not just from them.... they are wise beyond me!!!!
                  Last edited by steelemagnolia63; 07-07-2009, 12:09 PM.
                  Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

wow platinummagnolia, I could not have said it better, one question leads to,,,, another!
                    Hey Inuit princesss where are you, we wanna take pics of the tourists with you inside the melting igloo with the polar bears lined up outside wanting the tasty filling!!!
                    Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by kiyaanii mom View Post
                      Or what if your elders are all gone.....
                      guess that means you're the elder.
                      The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by superndngyrl View Post
                        guess that means you're the elder.
                        YIKES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kiyaanii mom View Post
                          YIKES!!!
                          Where can I hide,,, I am still in training! My eternal excuse,,, ah bless that fact that I am still in training!!!!

Comment

And..and...What about them so-called elders (old people) who say, "Dont you know?" I be like, "Uh hello...if i knew I wudnt be standing here like an idiot asking you" Of course only saying this in my mind. Could only manage to mumble..."Uhh okay, I guess, thanks NEWAYZ"

Same here gotta have my mommy translate...WHAT SHE SAY, HUH? WHAT SHE SAY!!! LOL.

The old people on my rez dont tell NADA...keep it all to themselves!! And, it soo funny cuz when they get asked to say/preach sumthing at a social function...then its like WE NEED TO TEACH OUR YOUNGER GENERATION OUR WAY OR WE WILL LOSE WHAT LITTLE WE HAVE..blah blah blah...

Comment

Thanks for making my day, here I was thinking the same thing about passing on teachings and listening very hard and watching the judgements coming back to haunt us!!! There are times when even I would like nothing more than to avoid a teaching. There are those out there that do nothing but ask questions and before you can formulate one answer they have walked away and tell the next person that they had a great conversation with you!!!!
                              So to the ones asking A question, wait, let the Elder think about your question, then let the Elder think HOW you want the answer, formulation is everything so that your question does not get misunderstood they may need to ask, in which concept you are asking, then go from there as well, Paitence is lacking to get the proper answer, time is wasting is all I hear from impatient folks that want a fast remedy!
                              Have a great day!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• OLChemist
                                Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                                by OLChemist
                                *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                                06-21-2021, 01:08 PM
                              • TigerEyes214
                                Neverending Game
                                by TigerEyes214
                                k. I didn't see any game like this before so....short and sweet here goes:

Last one to post wins!!! GO!!!!!!

(so far I'm the winner) :taunting:
                                05-07-2004, 04:12 PM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X