Your Grandma's Face on a T-shirt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Grandma's Face on a T-shirt?

How would you feel about having a t-shirt with your grandma on it?
    Doesn't it seem absurd?

Does it matter the premise of the t-shirt? Say if it was a cultural statement vs. advertisement of liquor. would you be ok with it if it was a political statement?

The reason why I'm asking is because a similar situation has come to my attention. This man Jimm Goodtracks created a t-shirt for the Otoe Ioway Language and then put a drawing of my grandma on there as well. The shirt would be cool without her on there but with her it just seems to have crossed the line and strayed from its intended purpose. Not that the photo is tasteless or demeaning but she's not a commercialized product either.
    The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

im not sure what u can do about yer grandmas pic.. but

if u post his pic here we can have some fun with it. i can
    think of some ad lines already, maybe he will get the point
    thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

LOL if only i had one.

Comment

did he have her permission? Wouldn't he need permission? Like Injunboys idea though.

Comment

she passed away in the early 90s. He just made the shirt.

Comment

I bet the shirt is beautiful...however the dude should have asked the family or got some kind of permission. And if the family said no, then it can't be done.

Our family would never go for it. Taboo!

Comment

Originally posted by injunboy View Post
              im not sure what u can do about yer grandmas pic.. but

if u post his pic here we can have some fun with it. i can
              think of some ad lines already, maybe he will get the point
              Have at it!
              Attached Files

Comment

A drawing may be viewed differently than an actual photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe G View Post
                  Have at it!
                  Joe G. do you just shave and put a cap on?

Comment

Originally posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno View Post
                    Joe G. do you just shave and put a cap on?
                    TT: That is FAR from looking like me! I googled him....and there he was...
                    thx for the insult though....have a rotten evening

Comment

Don't worry about it .., chill and be merry, eh?

Comment

That's kind of a weird situation, because it sounds like he didn't ask permission. Then again, your grandma probably has many living family members. For instance, I'm not sure how I would get permission from a whole family if I wanted to use your grandma's picture. There's always going to be the relatives who don't like each other, so one will say yes just because the other says no. Where was this picture taken?

I guess you are photographed at a powwow, a lot of people think your subject is fair game. Some powwows have you sign waivers. I've seen my picture in a powwow line up at the top of this site as part of the rotating pictures, and I know several people who've found their pictures on here, in powwow programs, even on a powwow billboard on an interstate highway (!) without their knowledge...although we all signed waivers when we registered for the competition. Even if this isn't the case and your grandma's picture was taken at a small dance 20 years ago, I think the mentality is that powwow images are there to be used however people see fit.

Maybe you can offer autographed copies of the t-shirt, announce a fashion show of Grandma's family modeling various colors, or something else that's equally absurd to make the point how silly it is to randomly have her picture on a shirt about a language program?

Comment

Hi C!!!

Comment

I know this is off topic (sorry Super!!) but I was wondering how many tribes do the cakes with the photo of their dearly departed on the cakes? I saw this on that movie Skins and read on another forum how some tribes do this. In a way it's kind of cool but I don't think my people would go for it, especially when it comes to cutting up the cake and then eating it. any thoughts?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.