At risk of being labeled a "fearmonger..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At risk of being labeled a "fearmonger..."

A couple of issues have come to my attention this week and I found them disturbing. At a risk of being labeled a fearmonger I wanted to bring them to your attention...

Senate Bill S.773

This bill, among other things, would give the President the power to seize temporary control of private sector computer networks during any event he might deem a "cybersecurity emergency."

Probably the most controversial language begins in Section 201, which permits the president to "direct the national response to the cyber threat" if necessary for "the national defense and security." The White House is supposed to engage in "periodic mapping" of private networks deemed to be critical, and those companies "shall share" requested information with the federal government. ("Cyber" is defined as anything having to do with the Internet, telecommunications, computers, or computer networks.)

Sounds to me a lot of power encompassed by this law and not much specificity. Who determines which networks are "critical?" Who defines the word "emergency."

FCC Diversity Issues

The Chief Diversity Officer of the Federal Communications Commission, Mark Lloyd, has proposed using funds collected from privately held media to underwrite the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. In his book "Prologue to a Farce: Communications and Democracy in America."

“Federal and regional broadcast operations and local stations should be funded at levels commensurate with or above those spending levels at which commercial operations are funded,” Lloyd wrote. “This funding should come from license fees charged to commercial broadcasters. Funding should not come from congressional appropriations. Sponsorship should be prohibited at all public broadcasters.”

“Local public broadcasters and regional and national communications operations should be required to encourage and broadcast diverse views and programs,” wrote Lloyd. “These programs should include coverage of all local, state and federal government meetings, as well as daily news and public issues programming."

If private broadcasters are REQUIRED to fund the CPB or NPR at their own budget levels how can they afford to continue to operate? Will this not put private broadcasters in danger? Will they be told what to broadcast? How does freedom of speech fit into all this? Or does it?

Civilian Military Force

In his campaign last summer Obama said, "We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives we've set...We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded."

I know it was said in the context of something along the lines of Americorps or the Peace Corps, but if that is really what was meant, why not call it a "Civilian Service Corps?" Why does it need to be "just as powerful, just as strong, and just as well funded" as the military. Our military threats are usually pretty well defined. If we need a "Civilian Security Force," who is the enemy here?

Call me a fearmonger, call me crazy, but this stuff bothers me. If anybody has seen or read anything that puts these issues in a different perspective please feel free to share them.

yeah this worries me.............
    sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

Well being that the internet is really just one giant network made up of smaller networks connected together, does this mean that they can just take full control over the whole internet in the U.S.?

The mapping of private networks is nothing new, the information is already there, and I could care less if the feds know my ip and or mac addresses and where I am physically located, my cable company already knows that.

In terms of internet privacy issues, I don't think the government needs to be poking around and monitoring in and out bound traffic of anybody without the probbable cause. Even then I, myself, am not worried as I don't do anything on the computer that could be considered illegal or "extreme", plus I have an encrypted hard drive that I can remove whenever I want (the encryption is so strong that the NSA, with current tech and brute force., couldn't break the encryption for like 10,000 years).

In terms of the FCC diversity thing, I think the person who is comming up with these proposals have no idea how televison and radio stations actually work. Banning sponsorship from public broadcast operations would be the end of those stations. In Bethlehem where I live we have a PBS station had to pull back their plans to open a new facility, to better serve their viewers and the community. They were supposed to build a new studio on the former site of the Bethlehem Steel mill, but private funding for it ran out when the economy collapsed last summer.
      CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
      sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Looks like we are headed down the same road the nazi's took...they took over the car industry, banks, health care, etc.
        sigpic
        R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Comment

Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
          Well being that the internet is really just one giant network made up of smaller networks connected together, does this mean that they can just take full control over the whole internet in the U.S.?

The mapping of private networks is nothing new, the information is already there, and I could care less if the feds know my ip and or mac addresses and where I am physically located, my cable company already knows that.

In terms of internet privacy issues, I don't think the government needs to be poking around and monitoring in and out bound traffic of anybody without the probbable cause. Even then I, myself, am not worried as I don't do anything on the computer that could be considered illegal or "extreme", plus I have an encrypted hard drive that I can remove whenever I want (the encryption is so strong that the NSA, with current tech and brute force., couldn't break the encryption for like 10,000 years).

In terms of the FCC diversity thing, I think the person who is comming up with these proposals have no idea how televison and radio stations actually work. Banning sponsorship from public broadcast operations would be the end of those stations. In Bethlehem where I live we have a PBS station had to pull back their plans to open a new facility, to better serve their viewers and the community. They were supposed to build a new studio on the former site of the Bethlehem Steel mill, but private funding for it ran out when the economy collapsed last summer.
          The thing about the FCC issue that I don't get is that if people like what is being broadcast on a certain station, they will listen to it - if they don't like it they won't. There is plenty of diversity here that I can see. If I want to listen to salsa music I can - or I can listen to polka. If I want to hear Rush Limbaugh I can or I can shut him off.

I don't like the idea of anything that could conceivably be used insidiously to silence the voice of someone or some group that might be critical of society, government or whatever.

And actually some of the framework for some of these issues and legislation was laid under the Bush administration - so it's not a Republican/Democrat issue - it's a government control concern - how much control should whoever's in charge have over us?

Comment

so what else is new??? I mean the govt oppressed native people and continues to do so..its just another tactic..to control whomever gets out of line..but then the govt uses the media for propaganda anyways..so interesting who they will really target.
            "I don't know why you never tried to tell me I was the one for you, I'm telling you my love is true and you're the only one for me -NC

I'm not crazy I'm jus a little impaired I know right now you don't care but soon enough you're gonna think of me and how I used to be I'm not crazy jus a little unwell...-matchbox 20

Comment

I heard some pretty disturbing news. Obama is the next AntiChrist or he is the one. .......????

So I looked up Obama the Antichrist on the Internet. Wow. For someone who claims to be Christian, he dodged alot of questions, more like a wolf in sheeps clothing......Look it up and see what i'm talking about.

With all this talk about the End of the World....the Hopis are going nutz about their prophecies coming...
              I wannabe cool.....2

Comment

I'm more concerned with what control the big corporations have/will have over our lives than anything our government is doing.

If you don't like governmental actions - throw the bums out in the next election; corporate Boards of Directors answer to no one but their shareholders (if that) and can't be held legally or criminally accountable for their actions or decisions.

I'll take Obama (or Bush) anyday over Rupert Murdoch. I can vote out the former; the latter can tell me to p*** up a rope, and I have no recourse.

sigpic

Comment

What do yall think about the smart grid technology? I recently read some information about how it could be vulnerable to a cyber terrorist attack, now I know that its not really worth it for a hacker to crack into the meters of individual homes and small businesses. Its the large businesses, hospitals, and support facilities that would be my worry if they lost power, even if its for just a few mins while any back-up generator starts up. The biggest worry is if they crack into sub-stations and generation plants.

Smart grid technology is designed to make the current grid effecient, so that the utility companies can manage power, and diagnose problems remotely, not to mention it would save energy that would otherwise be wasted by the the faulty current system.
                  CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
                  sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

I think RDNKJ is pretty smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Ndnsoldierboy View Post
                      Looks like we are headed down the same road the nazi's took...they took over the car industry, banks, health care, etc.
                      Come on, really! You are going to compare political decisions in the US to the Nazis.

Get a grip!

Let's remember that Bush is the one that invaded a country without provocation. Isn't that more like some of the things Obama is compared too?
                      New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthofAda View Post
                        A couple of issues have come to my attention this week and I found them disturbing. At a risk of being labeled a fearmonger I wanted to bring them to your attention...

Senate Bill S.773

This bill, among other things, would give the President the power to seize temporary control of private sector computer networks during any event he might deem a "cybersecurity emergency."

Probably the most controversial language begins in Section 201, which permits the president to "direct the national response to the cyber threat" if necessary for "the national defense and security." The White House is supposed to engage in "periodic mapping" of private networks deemed to be critical, and those companies "shall share" requested information with the federal government. ("Cyber" is defined as anything having to do with the Internet, telecommunications, computers, or computer networks.)

Sounds to me a lot of power encompassed by this law and not much specificity. Who determines which networks are "critical?" Who defines the word "emergency."

FCC Diversity Issues

The Chief Diversity Officer of the Federal Communications Commission, Mark Lloyd, has proposed using funds collected from privately held media to underwrite the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. In his book "Prologue to a Farce: Communications and Democracy in America."

“Federal and regional broadcast operations and local stations should be funded at levels commensurate with or above those spending levels at which commercial operations are funded,” Lloyd wrote. “This funding should come from license fees charged to commercial broadcasters. Funding should not come from congressional appropriations. Sponsorship should be prohibited at all public broadcasters.”

“Local public broadcasters and regional and national communications operations should be required to encourage and broadcast diverse views and programs,” wrote Lloyd. “These programs should include coverage of all local, state and federal government meetings, as well as daily news and public issues programming."

If private broadcasters are REQUIRED to fund the CPB or NPR at their own budget levels how can they afford to continue to operate? Will this not put private broadcasters in danger? Will they be told what to broadcast? How does freedom of speech fit into all this? Or does it?

Civilian Military Force

In his campaign last summer Obama said, "We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives we've set...We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded."

I know it was said in the context of something along the lines of Americorps or the Peace Corps, but if that is really what was meant, why not call it a "Civilian Service Corps?" Why does it need to be "just as powerful, just as strong, and just as well funded" as the military. Our military threats are usually pretty well defined. If we need a "Civilian Security Force," who is the enemy here?

Call me a fearmonger, call me crazy, but this stuff bothers me. If anybody has seen or read anything that puts these issues in a different perspective please feel free to share them.
                        Yes, these are disturbing.

Having the funding of NPR controlled by networks is a terrible idea! Just look at the bias in some of the network news channels. I'd hate for them to control any more than they do now!

I do agree with finding them a solid funding source. Public broadcasting should have stable, ongoing funding. The source of that doesn't need to be from other networks though.

As for the network issue, I find those suggestions hilarious. I have a network at house, you want to map and control? Really? Not only is it an issue of privacy, but it is too large of an undertaking. And something that changes on a constant basis. The people who suggest such things don't truly understand the issues.

We'll see how these actually develop though.
                        New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.