Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Non Natives be patriotic to America??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Non Natives be patriotic to America??

Since they are all originally from other countries, shouldn't they be more patriotic to their country of origin?

Edit
    Last edited by Wolfn; 10-15-2009, 11:51 PM.
    Agent of Chaos

Comment

^something is wrong with you dude. Congratulations in becoming pws.com first official "WTF? Member!"

Comment

Originally posted by Grits & Beans View Post
        ^something is wrong with you dude. Congratulations in becoming pws.com first official "WTF? Member!"
        Dang...I hope your old ruthless self doesn't bring the Smackdown on ^^^^ somebody!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

I'm saying, if you don't feel patriotic to a country then you must be from a different planet.

Comment

Edit
            Last edited by Wolfn; 10-15-2009, 11:52 PM.
            Agent of Chaos

Comment

Wtf???!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kiyaanii mom View Post
                Since they are all originally from other countries, shouldn't they be more patriotic to their country of origin?

Sure, why not. My family ended up in the States by being expelled from Canada for trying to import the American Revolution.

Besides, I'm too much of a mutt. There are at least 5 countries my ancestors came from. How would I ever choose?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfn View Post
                  A country is just an imaginary line on the ground that says where one plot of land ends and another begins. I'm not sure why one should be proud of an imaginary line on the ground.
                  I feel your wrong, in that type of thinking you allow yourself to believe that boundaries exist.....I believe that patriotism derives from the fact that men and women would voluntarily join the military to fight for what they believe in. Patriotism, to me, is not a idea or a status....it is something from the heart....no imaginary line on the ground ever stopped me from doing what I do.....it is a history and culture of people long past of the area you are in that you take pride in, the fact that the people are there to defend for that culture is patriotism. True patriotism is a fight for your right to coexist with others, to live in harmony with those that share the same ideals.

online definition of the word....
                  patriotism
                  a devoted love, support, and defense of one’s country; national loyalty. — patriot, n. — patriotic, adj.
                  Last edited by 50cal; 09-29-2009, 09:23 PM.
                  sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

I think patiotism to any country is stupid. If you're born in Germany or Russia or something, that's because your mother's uterus happened to be in that country when you were born.

so personally, I think patriotism to any country is stupid.
                    I don't agree, but I understand where you're coming from. I had the same sentiments wa-a-ay back in the day.

But, let's take your argument a step further. (And, my questions are really more rhetorical than anything else).

You seem to take pride in the fact that you are "part-Ojibwe." Why? Your bloodline has nothing to do with anything that you have done. You could just as easily have been born ethnically Japanese, or Somali, or whatever. You are part-NDN because of a choice(s) your parents made (to have a child). So, to use your own argument you really shouldn't feel anything about your heritage.

And, (again, rhetorical - I don't really expect an answer)...

Since you think patriotism to any country is stupid, can you really say that the events of 9/11 didn't affect you any more or any less than, for example, the subway bombings in Madrid?

I'm not hatin' - I'm just sayin'

sigpic

Comment

A country is just an imaginary line on the ground that says where one plot of land ends and another begins. I'm not sure why one should be proud of an imaginary line on the ground.
                      Seriously, you live in Florida, you don't powwow. Are you a wannabe spiritual vest-loving hippy, or someone who has a great-grandmother that was a cherokee princess? Are you special needs or are you just coming here to be a butthead? Your comments and threads can be interpreted in either way. WTF? Your asking us if you should grow your hair long? Come on? How old are you.

Comment

Originally posted by Grits & Beans View Post
                        Wtf???!!!
                        let me spell it owt in crayon for those who don't happen to speak retard, I shall translate....
                        What this person is alluding to is that they believe that the concept of sovereignty is stupid, as we should really all become one nation world. They got to this end by the means of eroding their sense of sovereignty by dissolving over time, their sense of identity. So, after a lengthy period of slowly, but increasingly, accepting ideas and standards outside the poster's norm, they have eventually forgotten about the common threads that once held us together, while increasingly accepting values once viewed as taboo. The poster has obviously been taught an entitlement philosophy, is too lazy to get a job, or has some strange mental illness. (think: hippie)

In my opinion, our country is slowly but surely becoming a collective group of individuals who have become so absurdly self-absorbed and disinterested in acquiring knowledge that we, as a nation, are slowly but surely losing touch with the reality of what is actually going on in the world. The best example is our population's general sense of ignorance in relation to world history.

When one chooses to let go of their sovereignty, they make a statement that they simply don't care about anything. To be a patriot, one must belong to a sovereign entity to be patriotic towards. Patriotism is simply a statement of sovereignty. Without it, anyone can walk all over you. So, here's my question..... Should I be patriotic to Germany, Ireland, England, or France if I am white, but have never been to any of those countries, but was born in the USA? Or should I be an American, since that is where I was born, still live, will continue to live the rest of my life, and believe in what America stands for?

I believe the OP is obviously a 4th dimensional alien working with the illuminati....and by that I mean... TROLL
                        So I put my hands up, they're playin' my song
                        The butterflies fly away
                        I'm noddin' my head like "Yeah!"
                        Movin' my hips like "Yeah!"
                        -Miley Cyrus

Comment

Originally posted by kiyaanii mom View Post

WOW! I took this a joke cause of the little smileys rolling around laughing....but I guess some didn't take it that way!?!

Traditions.....keep them and keep them sacred!

I am NOT Indian. I have never been to India, nor has any of my family before me! I have met these people from India, of whom you speak, and I am nothing like them. Why do you call me an Indian?

Comment

Definition of WTF?- WTF? Is the appropriate response to a post that is absurd/weird/false/stupid...

As for pws.com first Official WTF? Member: Get a sense of humor, nee-gee.

Comment

Holay I needed that!! Nothing like a good frickin laugh in the morning to get you going!! Good post K-mom!!
                              I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.