2 die, 19 others overcome at Sedona sweat lodge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 die, 19 others overcome at Sedona sweat lodge

SEDONA - Two people died and an estimated 19 others were taken to hospitals after being overcome while sitting in a sauna-like sweat lodge at a Sedona retreat on Thursday night.

About 50 people were in a "sweatbox" type structure located at the Angel Valley resort, a facility which provides spiritual retreats, Yavapai County sheriff's spokesman Dwight D'Evelyn said on Friday.

Many people began feeling ill after about two hours in the sweat box.

2 die, 19 others overcome at Sedona sweat lodge#

terrible news

dang i hope the others recover and tell what happened
    ski

Comment

Wow, FIFTY in a sweat!! Is that maximizing profits or what??
      ...it is what it is...

Comment

Comment

Yeah i aint sweating at any "Retreat" or "Center" If its run by people who dont know what they are doing, its not really safe now is it :p

Bet those people paid a preety penny for sweat too.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Angelights Home Page

This should be one of their links. From the looks of it, they charge a lot:

$999/person double or triple occupancy

$1399/person single occupancy
            Wanjica Infinity No One

Comment

I couldn't imagine 50 poeple in a sweat. ...but I couldn't imagine being in a sweat at a resort either!

Traditions.....keep them and keep them sacred!

I am NOT Indian. I have never been to India, nor has any of my family before me! I have met these people from India, of whom you speak, and I am nothing like them. Why do you call me an Indian?

Comment

In a sweat for two hours?! Guess they had a lot of "purifying" to do!

Comment

Originally posted by Grits & Beans View Post
                  In a sweat for two hours?! Guess they had a lot of "purifying" to do!
                  ... and it sounds like both men and women were in at the same time!!

Comment

Fire Lodge

"Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust -
                    we all dance to a mysterious tune,
                    intoned in the distance by an invisible piper.
                    ~
                    Albert Einstein

In the Fire Lodge, we enter the womb of the earth, the safe sacred womb that is within us all. Here there is only sacred space, a place of purification, surrender, and release. A place of returning to the center. Fire Lodge ceremony has become such a profound moment of prayer for me. Something is awakened in the darkness of a sweat - those things that hold us back from moving into the light are mysteriously healed within the fire, the hot rocks, the sweat, the singing and chanting, the tears. Something is heard in our prayers.
                    Aboriginal people all over the world have used the sweat to cleanse, purify and heal their body, soul and spirit. It is a sacred place, a place where we honor our Creator with our prayers, sweat and tears.

When you sit in the darkness with only the glow of firey rocks as light, this quickly becomes the core of the earth releasing its ancient sunlight as a gift to your healing. And the web of willow that supports the lodge is the great web of life that encircles the earth and supports it; and that web connects with the sun and the stars; web into web on into infinity. When you sit in the lodge, you sit at the center of all things.

We occasionally hold the lodge as a component of our retreat program or for special occasions and celebrations. Please inquire.

Comment

Silly rabbits...Sweats are for skins!!!
                      anishinabealltheway
                      Grass Dancer
                      Last edited by anishinabealltheway; 10-09-2009, 08:21 PM.
                      Niin sa, Chi anung

Comment

Um, how long exactly are you supposed to be in a sweat-lodge? I was thinking like 30-minutes to an hour, not more than two hours.
                        Agent of Chaos

Comment

I see you came back seeking more wisdom so you can show everyone you associate with just how indian you are! You must be talented in the way you juggle being white, muslim and Ojibwe all at the same time! Well we know that you come here when your being indian. But what website do you go to when your being white? And is there a website you go to when your being muslim?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfn View Post
                            Um, how long exactly are you supposed to be in a sweat-lodge? I was thinking like 30-minutes to an hour, not more than two hours.
                            Ummm...3 hours for you. The more sweating you do, the more NDN'd out you get!!!

Jusss kiddin!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Grits & Beans View Post
                              I see you came back seeking more wisdom so you can show everyone you associate with just how indian you are! You must be talented in the way you juggle being white, muslim and Ojibwe all at the same time! Well we know that you come here when your being indian. But what website do you go to when your being white? And is there a website you go to when your being muslim?
                              I thought wolfm said he was Ojib, muslim and BLACK!!! I musta not been listening.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X