Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone order kits from Crazy Crow?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone order kits from Crazy Crow?

    I'm looking at buying a moccasin kit from Crazy Crow trading post. Anyone order from them? Are they recommended by anyone?
    Dreams feel real when we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.


  • #2
    Seriously, just buy some minnetonkas. They are already made, straite up clean lookin, will fit your feet and look just butter! Go ahead and get the crazy crowe if you want some mountain man unauthentic moccs.
    ScarryWolf

    Comment


    • #3
      The kits are fairly ok......they come with good latigo soles and fair instructions, but the leather seems to be kind of stiff. The kits are not bad for a first pair of moccasins......at least you can kind of learn how to make your moccasins........and then later you may want to buy the material for your moccasins yourself.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by NancyJo View Post
        The kits are fairly ok......they come with good latigo soles and fair instructions, but the leather seems to be kind of stiff. The kits are not bad for a first pair of moccasins......at least you can kind of learn how to make your moccasins........and then later you may want to buy the material for your moccasins yourself.
        Do I have to cut the leather myself, or is it already pre-cut?

        I figured it would be best to make my own moccasins and buy a kit for about $40 instead of paying more than $150 for a pair of pre-made moccasins.
        Dreams feel real when we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

        Comment


        • #5
          These are primal kits. No pre-cut uppers, no punched holes, and no cutesy laces.

          But the time you're done, you'll see why those of us who make moccs charge $150-$300 for a finished pair.

          By the way, don't forget you want to fit 'em nice and tight. Otherwise they'll stretch the first time you sweat, so that your mocc upper arrives at the powwow five minutes ahead of your toes.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
            These are primal kits. No pre-cut uppers, no punched holes, and no cutesy laces.

            But the time you're done, you'll see why those of us who make moccs charge $150-$300 for a finished pair.

            By the way, don't forget you want to fit 'em nice and tight. Otherwise they'll stretch the first time you sweat, so that your mocc upper arrives at the powwow five minutes ahead of your toes.
            Hmm. I'm a little nervous now. I've never made moccasins before.

            Would it be better to pay $150 for a pair of pre-made moccasins, or $40 for a kit and do everything myself (despite the fact I've never made them before)
            Dreams feel real when we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by WhiteWolf89 View Post
              Hmm. I'm a little nervous now. I've never made moccasins before.

              Would it be better to pay $150 for a pair of pre-made moccasins, or $40 for a kit and do everything myself (despite the fact I've never made them before)
              Make 'em yourself and dance hard till all the beads fall off!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Grits & Beans View Post
                Make 'em yourself and dance hard till all the beads fall off!
                I guess I could experiment and try to make my own moccasins. There's a Pow-Wow in about two weeks so I won't have them ready in time for that Pow-Wow, but there's another one in September that I should have them ready for.

                Does anyone have any links on how to make your own moccasins?
                Dreams feel real when we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by WhiteWolf89 View Post
                  I guess I could experiment and try to make my own moccasins. There's a Pow-Wow in about two weeks so I won't have them ready in time for that Pow-Wow, but there's another one in September that I should have them ready for.

                  Does anyone have any links on how to make your own moccasins?
                  when the dance judges see all the beads popping off your mocs they'll say wow he's dancing hard and will give you extra points.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just my 2cents here.......buy the kit, learn to make the mocs. Maybe I'm making it sound worse than what it is in my first post. Basically, if you are pretty handy at crafts and really want to make your mocs than the kit will give you good experience. It has instructions on how to cut the leather to fit YOUR foot, so they'll fit you better than buying premade mocs. Besides, if you buy premade and then try to bead them, your going to be some big time hand gymnastics to do the beading. Good luck......

                    Another thing.........might be a good idea to by pass on the minnetonka's.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Minnetonka... straight from the heart of Minnesota, represents well with their elegant and stylish contour and fit. No finer moccasin to be had.
                      ScarryWolf

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BigChef View Post
                        Minnetonka... straight from the heart of Minnesota, represents well with their elegant and stylish contour and fit. No finer moccasin to be had.
                        I could have sworn they were made in China
                        Dreams feel real when we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by WhiteWolf89 View Post
                          I could have sworn they were made in China
                          uh no. try a ittle harder...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by WhiteWolf89 View Post
                            I could have sworn they were made in China
                            your sig says maengun endizhinikaz. you said that you weren't ojibwe.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              As far as ordering from CCTP,I ordered some stuff from them,included in my purchase was some buckskin for mocs.Now it was pretty good but ,I've heard that people have had trouble on their second order from them,the hides were not so nice etc. Also there are lots of patterns you could get a hold of that could help if you decide to make your own.Just remember,this is our first shot a making moccasins enjoy it,learn from it,and dont expect perfection the first time around OK!!

                              some one who might be able to help is goldeneagle555 she is pretty busy however so getting a hold of her could take some little time.
                              Any how Go For It

                              Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: Rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
                              - Solomon

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Loading...

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X