What do People Think of This

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do People Think of This

There's no right or wrong answer, I was just curious about what different people thought.

"Our Body: The Universe Within" is coming through Austin. Some of my friends invited me to go see it with them, but I had to decline.

This is the "blurb" from their website about what the exhibit is. I won't even post the link, but if people want to see their website is ourbodytheuniversewithin dot com.

"OUR BODY: THE UNIVERSE WITHIN is a fascinating, artful and educational exhibit consisting of actual human bodies and organs. Appropriate for all ages, this exhibit literally goes "under the skin", revealing the mysteries of the human anatomy. The bodies, specimens and organs have been preserved using a process known as polymer impregnation. OUR BODY: THE UNIVERSE WITHIN allows you the insight to the inside: giving one a true look at the inner workings of the extraordinary human body.

As you enter the exhibit, you will have the opportunity to examine the human body as a whole. Continuing throughout the exhibit, you will journey through each of the body’s major systems allowing you to see first hand how they function and relate to other systems."

So, they take a corpse, plasticize it somehow and remove the skin and pose it in various activities so you can see the muscles, etc..

My concerns are twofold:

1. I wonder if the people whose bodies are on display truly consented - the bodies are from China - and that increases my concern about informed consent.

2. My friends think I'm terribly old-fashioned about this - but, consent or not, educational or not - I can't help but think that the bodies are on display more for entertainment than for educational purposes. My background teaches that that is the "mocking of a corpse," and is strictly forbidden.

I was just wondering what others thought.
    sigpic

not bothered at all, as long as it's done with the corpses of crazy white people who want to be seen in all their gory details.

i took a look at the site and it is interesting, especially the one corpse that looks like pink beef jerkey muscles.
    Last edited by wanjica_the_one; 04-19-2010, 03:39 PM.
    Wanjica Infinity No One

Comment

Well, for some reason some museums and collectors have a passion for collecting ceremonial items, funerary objects and human remains.

In the National Museum of Natural History (NMNH) on the 3rd floor (where the public is not allowed to go) there are thousands of human remains representing most historical eras and cultures from around the world. They even have skeletons from here in N. America.

This exhibit wouldn't happen to be at the NMNH would it???
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

A similar exhibition came through here a while back, and I didn't attend. I, too, am uneasy with the whole corpses-as-entertainment scenario - and I do think it's more entertainment and morbid titillation than education - whether it's these folks, Celtic bog men, or Vladimir Lenin, for that matter. I remember seeing a mummy in a touring show of Egyptian artifacts when I was a child, and even then, it just seemed wrong to me.

The fact that they do it for profit - don't they charge something like $30.00 admission? - and that there have been ongoing questions regarding whether proper consent was secured from the families just compounds my distaste for the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
          Well, for some reason some museums and collectors have a passion for collecting ceremonial items, funerary objects and human remains.
          If it were objects - I would have no problem, and would probably go see, but I understand that other peoples view that differently.

In the National Museum of Natural History (NMNH) on the 3rd floor (where the public is not allowed to go) there are thousands of human remains representing most historical eras and cultures from around the world. They even have skeletons from here in N. America.
          I don't have a problem with academic study, and I assume those 3rd floor bodies aren't posed riding bicycles, kicking soccer balls, etc..

This exhibit wouldn't happen to be at the NMNH would it???
          I don't know where it was before, it opens here on the 24th at the Stark Center for Physical Culture & Sports at UT-Austin.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by caity View Post
            A similar exhibition came through here a while back, and I didn't attend. I, too, am uneasy with the whole corpses-as-entertainment scenario - and I do think it's more entertainment and morbid titillation than education - whether it's these folks, Celtic bog men, or Vladimir Lenin, for that matter. I remember seeing a mummy in a touring show of Egyptian artifacts when I was a child, and even then, it just seemed wrong to me.

The fact that they do it for profit - don't they charge something like $30.00 admission? - and that there have been ongoing questions regarding whether proper consent was secured from the families just compounds my distaste for the whole thing.
            Yeah, I think admission is about $20. I just find it distasteful and troublesome all the way around.
            sigpic

Comment

It is kinda disturbing...about as disturbing as the first people who dissected people to advance medical studies.

It's really disturbing that most of these bodies were Chinese prisoners who probably didn't even give their consent.
              ...it is what it is...

Comment

i dont even need to say it, messin with dead people and their things is hella no-no,
                thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

Originally posted by injunboy View Post
                  i dont even need to say it, messin with dead people and their things is hella no-no,
                  i agree, you should have respect for the dead.

Comment

u know before it all went down, they asked them who wants an all expenses paid trip to the United States!! ahaha
                    thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

u know before it all went down, they asked them who wants an all expenses paid trip to the United States!! ahaha
                      That's some dark humor - love it!
                      sigpic

Comment

The bodies were probably donated to medical colleges for science research. Of course The people who left their bodies to science never dreamed of this. They were thing more in the lines of cancer research. This whole idea is sickening to me.
                        Courage is just fear that has said it's prayers.

Comment

o gosh did i say that!

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

o gosh did i say that!
                            Too Funny.

Lot of us were, OK I was thinking summthang along those lines

Comment

Thats kind of messed up.

Do yall remember years ago Time did a special on a project where an executed criminal donated his body to research and what they did was freeze him in some blue polymer and then basically ran his body across a giant deli meat slicer set to very thin, thus creating thousands of sheets of sliced human. Once they finsihed they shot each slice with a camera and made an animation of him, similar to how they used to make cartoons.

I'll have to see if I can find the video when I get home, the T1 line here at work is way too slow.
                              CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
                              sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.