Two-year-old girl survived on ketchup, dried pasta while mom in jail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two-year-old girl survived on ketchup, dried pasta while mom in jail

My son just turned two, and this broke my heart. Made me cry, and I don't often do that. :(

JACKSONVILLE, Fla., Oct. 1 — A 2-year-old girl left home alone for 2½ weeks while her mother was in jail has been released from the hospital after being treated for malnutrition and dehydration, officials said Wednesday.

THE CHILD, who survived by eating ketchup, mustard and dried pasta, was released late Tuesday from Wolfson Children’s Hospital to the custody of the state Department of Children & Families.

“The only thing I can tell you is that she is in good condition,” hospital spokesman David Foreman said.

The state agency was reviewing the case to determine where the child should be placed. “The child is safe in our care,” said Patricia Mallon, a DCF district manager. “Our every effort is to ensure her safety and well-being.”

The little girl, whose name was not released, had been left alone since her mother, Dakeysha Telita Lee, was jailed Sept. 10 for aggravated assault and petty theft, police said. The mother was charged Monday with child abuse, and was being held Tuesday on $20,000 bond.

The child’s father, Ogden Lee, who is separated from the 22-year-old mother, said he had been trying to contact her for two weeks and did not learn until Sunday night that she was in jail.

When a manager let him into the apartment, the youngster was lying nude in a baby’s bathtub, covered with a towel and was watching a TV cartoon channel. She was filthy and covered with dry ketchup and jelly, Sheriff John Rutherford said Tuesday.

“She grabbed me and wouldn’t let go of me,” Lee said. “It is really a miracle how good a shape my daughter is in. I don’t know how she did it.”

Lee, 33, said the girl had dragged the food, toys and other things into her mother’s bedroom, where he found her. Leaford James, who lives across a breezeway from Dakeysha Lee’s apartment, said he had heard crying from the apartment “but nothing to get suspicious about.”

Dakeysha Lee was represented by the Public Defender’s Office on the original charges, but it had not been assigned the child abuse case. Her appointed attorney was not immediately available for comment.

GEEE

what is this world coming to where her mother didnt even inform any one of her girl at home? at least the girl is safe now will she be given to the father?
    Friends dont let friends take home ugly Men. :huddle:

:indian1: THE DARKER THE FLESH THEN THE DEEPER THE ROOTS :indian1:

Comment

i heard this on the news the other morning...and all I can say is that's just wrong..I don't know how anyone in their right mind could do something like that to an innocent child...i ain't gonna say no more cuz...well yeah..haha...
      >:< ~~ >:<

Comment

I don't know. All I can think of is the worst--maybe that mom wanted something bad to happen to her child. Surely not. But can you imagine how scared that little girl was? Nobody there for over two weeks! :( :Cry

Comment

Safe in there care now ! Where were they when they placed the mother In jail ? Where were the other family members ? Stuff like this makes me so mad I could just spit!!!!!!!
          Better known an loved as Men~Nie Turtles !
          Life is what you make it. Becareful what you give . You just might get it back!

Comment

The mother lied and said the little girl was with a sitter....
            That woman does not deserve to have a child.I hope the father takes better care of her.The mother apparently did not tell anyone the truth about the child being in the home for fear that she would get stuck with child abuse charges for leaving her home alone..now she really IS gonna get the charges..
            Last edited by Pony; 10-02-2003, 02:39 PM.
            believe in yourself

Comment

:JawDrop

Comment

Man...some people are just a waste of skin. :Yell :Yell The mother should be locked up for 2 1/2 weeks eating only ketchup and mustard and see how she feels.

The poor girl will have some serious issues...I hope she can get professional help.

What would you do if someone did this to a relative of yours??

I would lock her (the mother) in a rat infested basement with nothing to eat on and see how she likes it:Yell
                yeah, yeah, yeah...

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?

Comment

Thats child abuse in one of it's ugliest forms, poor baby, hope she'll be safe now.

Comment

This woman--I will not call her a lady--is definitely not fit to be a
                    parent. She should lose custody of the child, go to jail for
                    child abuse/neglect--and lose visitation rights.
                    alamosaurus

Comment

I wonder whatever happened to the baby now that time has past.

Comment

I think they said the baby is still with the Dad.
                        believe in yourself

Comment

what race of ppl does this kind of thing!
                          "come on dale". J.J..

Comment

Race

the race of stupid fuken idiot losers as a parents
                            Friends dont let friends take home ugly Men. :huddle:

:indian1: THE DARKER THE FLESH THEN THE DEEPER THE ROOTS :indian1:

Comment

Re: Race

Originally posted by theepowwowchic49
                              the race of stupid fuken idiot losers as a parents
                              Boy did i say that... but a race is a race.. some people in any race should not even have kids ..:Yell
                              "come on dale". J.J..

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• OLChemist
                                Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                                by OLChemist
                                *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                                06-21-2021, 01:08 PM
                              • TigerEyes214
                                Neverending Game
                                by TigerEyes214
                                k. I didn't see any game like this before so....short and sweet here goes:

Last one to post wins!!! GO!!!!!!

(so far I'm the winner) :taunting:
                                05-07-2004, 04:12 PM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X