Balancing school/family/powwows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balancing school/family/powwows

How many peeps out there have ACTUALLY been able to balance work (if you work)/ family (kids & marriage) / school (3/4 to full time enrolled) / and powwowing??? I have a few friends that have been trying to do the powwowing still and they get sooooo behind on their academics and its like you kind of have to give up one or the other in order for it to work if you really want a degree? What do you all think? Inquiring minds want to know :p

It is HARD to balance all of those! Especially with the kids. Trying to divide equal time between all of those. And to add the general care of your house, that takes up even more time. If you're a single woman doin all of these, all my kudos to ya! I knew a girl back home that maintained a 4.0 in a business major, raised her small son and worked 40 hours a week. She probably could've thrown in the pow-wows too but since she was a white Georgia peach, that wasn't happening.:Chatter
    I know during the school year, I'm able to make it to only a few pow-wows. I have two small kids and working on a architecture degree, those two are my priority, because I have to make sure I can take care of my children financially as well, especially when they go off to college.

Comment

Its hard to balance time for work, powwows and family time. Its a lot easier if your family is into powwows as much as you are. My first year of school, i was commuting 120 miles a day (5 days a week) for school and working 2 part time jobs on top of that. I was taking 18 credits that semester....I bout went nuts. I had no time for any kind of fun...just work and school. Now that i have my degree...it was well worth it. specially with a daughter, now i can provide her with all that she needs.:D
      yeah, yeah, yeah...

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?

Comment

Yup! Exactly!:clap: It all pays off huh.

Comment

Originally posted by ~*ReZeBel*~
          It is HARD to balance all of those! Especially with the kids. Trying to divide equal time between all of those. And to add the general care of your house, that takes up even more time. If you're a single woman doin all of these, all my kudos to ya! I knew a girl back home that maintained a 4.0 in a business major, raised her small son and worked 40 hours a week. She probably could've thrown in the pow-wows too but since she was a white Georgia peach, that wasn't happening.:Chatter
          I know during the school year, I'm able to make it to only a few pow-wows. I have two small kids and working on a architecture degree, those two are my priority, because I have to make sure I can take care of my children financially as well, especially when they go off to college.

So Rezebel wow, architecture thats cool! How far you got to go in your major?? I know a few friends that have actually put the powwowing aside to get their degree and they have kids as well.

Comment

I am trying to do it as well. I work a full time job, and am trying to raise my two little girls. I am also going to school part time it's hard, but well worth it. I try and take my daughter to pow-wows but its hard. My little girl is a southern traditional dancer so she loves to powwow.
            Ur A Dork

Comment

I'm ALMOST done with my lower division. I got my studio classes left, the ones that count the most cuz these are constructing my portfolio. I was lucky to make a hook-up this semester, I know I'm gonna need it when I submit my portfolio. It's all my own work of course, but that one little supporting voice is gonna go a loooong way, I just know it. Yup I hear ya's about still trying to pow-wow. I try to do it still to keep my sanity plus ya know, having my kids exposed to something other than mommy sitting at home drawing all night.

Comment

oh yes it's hard...........it all about compromises......for me I have 5 kids and work...the kids are young still so I stoped going to school untill the last one is in 1st grade, then I'll go back to school. We also only go to local PW now, and when they get older and I am done with school then we can start travling again.
                Last edited by ndnkidz_5; 10-06-2003, 01:43 PM.

Comment

when i was goin to school... i was also working part time and in the reserves. I tried to powwow in the summertime but soon when I started taking summer classes powwows took a back seat to everything.

soooo whoever can balance powwows school, work and family and everything else is TALENTED and I give ya props.
                  The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

When I seperated from my husbin, I made my kids their dance ragalia & we had so much fun that summer. I didn't go to school but I was working 40hrs a week, had them in school or day care. We would be all packed on Thu nite & ready to jump in the car right after 5 for the next pw. It was fun. If I had to that now, I don't think it could happen cause of the weekend sports & other things they want to do right now, since their older...

So if you can do it, keep those kids in school, work & keep yourself in school then you have my props too. Its hard sometimes but worth all the memories of family time, especially if you get to go to pws all the time.

Comment

It Helps when you have a job that keeps you right on the trail....:)

I know a whole lot of folks who juggle all 3 though....Many are Year Round Pow Wow Folks and some have jobs that enable them to Pow Wow....

Now matter how you look at it there will always be a Pow Wow, but doesn't it suck when you have to miss one or two due to other responsibilities.....
                      "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Poom-poom!! I have to agree with all you....:huddle:it's not easy juggling all these tasks we place upon ourselves to better our lives and for your children. But, without the 'go-go-go' I'd be bored, stuck in a rut financially, stagnant and a boob-tuber...:p. It's great being busy and staying active, but yes, at times I feel like throwing in the towel. But then I see other people wishing and wanting to do things...they don't...and time passes them by without self-improvement...not for me...I'm always going to push myself for living a rich and fulfilled life....:Crazy

To those in school or thinking of returning...Good for you! Even if you have time for only one class a week, go for it! If that's your dream...your goal, don't let anything stop you....go for it, and go for it hard....:Thumbs
                        "Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it."

~ Ah nech me hewet ~ :49:

Comment

You know whats funny....when I was growing up, I didn't know there was anything else to do but go to war dances, handgames, prayer meetings & pws. I was always around my grandparents & mommy!! I often thought thats why white people were mean....cause they didn't have anything to do all summer (the yr for that matter).:)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X