No announcement yet.

Cow Appreciation Day - July 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the (human) disease in Papua New Guinea is called "kuru," similar to Jacob-Kreutzfeld, and linked to cannibalism, specifically eating (people's) brains. I don't recall if that link is restricted to eating your own species or not.

I'm adventurous when it comes to food - but I won't even sample brains.

That's also one of the reasons I buy most of my beef and buffalo from ranches now, not the grocery store. I want my beef and buffalo to be 100% grass-fed. It's healthier, usually better-tasting, and is more humane. Compare the taste of milk from a grass-fed cow and one who has been feed ground up sheep spines and chicken shyte. A world of difference!!!
    sigpic

Comment

yeah luda i was thinking about getting my beef(and bison when i can afford it) from whole foods, which isn't far from where i live. still want to get my hands on a buffalo tenderloin!

Comment

The taste difference between industrial processed cattle and free range farm cattle is very noticable. My GF lives near a farm where they only sell the fresh stuff, including milk, and I had a steak from there once and it was one of the best steaks I have ever had, beside an Omaha steak a few years ago.
        CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
        sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Originally posted by Grits & Beans View Post
          grass fed beef should really be the only way to go. i wouldn't be surprised if they started cloning meat and selling it in grocery stores. a co-worker told me about a documentary called food inc. and i'm going to check it out on youtube...
          It's a superb documentary, albeit quite disturbing. I really had no idea what kind of a stranglehold agribusiness had on our food supply until I watched it.

Comment

Our tribe started raising buffalo about 10 years ago. I finally got to sample some ground up buffalo meat and I really thought it was gonna taste like cardboard, like the commod bison meat. And it was the bomb. Man! Loved it. Now they give out the meat to the diabetics and elders, of which, I don't fall into either category. bleah. I can't even talk my uncle out of his rations....LOL
            sigpic This is how I dance when your standing next to me...

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."

Comment

I love Whole Foods! The flagship store is just down the street from where I work - it's like a food palace! It's dangerous though. I always end up spending way too much money when I go in there. But the food, esp. the produce! mmmmmmm

Just be careful. When meat is labeled "grass-fed," "organic," "free-range," etc. that often (usually?) doesn't necessarily mean what people think it means.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
                Just be careful. When meat is labeled "grass-fed," "organic," "free-range," etc. that often (usually?) doesn't necessarily mean what people think it means.
                ok, so if i wanted ground beef or ground bison, which brand(s) would you recommend(that actually is what it says it is)?

Comment

You'd have to ask your local Whole Foods. That is something that would be sourced more-or-less locally. I don't think there is a national brand of truly grass fed beef/buffalo. You might also check out your local farmer's market. I'd be willing to bet there'll be at least one ranch vendor there selling grass fed beef.

I know up unti recently Whole Foods had a contract with the Northern Arapaho to supply buffalo for their stores in 4 or 5 states. So, my guess is it is regional.

There are people on here who are far, far more knowledgable on this than I am, but here are a few things to consider.

Free-Range. Free-range doesn't necessarily mean that animal ever saw the sun or a blade of grass. It just means they "had access to" the outdoors for some unspecified amount of time. The term is unregulated for cattle. But for poultry the USDA allows the use of the term free range if the poultry had open air access for as little as five minutes per day.

Organic. For cattle, basically means that they weren't fed animal by-products. I think we all have different ideas as to what "organic" means. People should just be aware the reality may not quite mesh with what they think of as organic.

Grass-Fed. I found this out when I was first going toward grass-fed beef/buffalo a few years ago. The use of the term is often deceptive. A lot, maybe most, of the grass-fed beef out there are only fed on grass until they are sent for finishing where they go the same mega feedlots as all the other cattle and get pumped full of hormones, antibiotics, and they are fed grain. And unless grass-fed and organic, might be fed animal by-products as well. The USDA was/is considering a rule that would allow the label beef "grass-fed" if as little as 80% of the animals feed was grass (with no definition of what is or isn't allowed for the other 20%.)

So, depending on the reasons people want to go to grass-fed, they probably want to ensure that the animal was 100% grass fed. For that, ya gotta ask, and research (thank god for the internet!).

Personally, I think Whole Foods can be trusted not to use sources that are egregiously deceptive, but...they are big business so, who knows? But, all the meat I've ever bought from Whole Foods has been excellent, both in quality and taste. And you can taste the difference.

For anyone interested, check out eatwild. com. It has a lot of information as well as a Pastured Products Directory broken down by city/state. And other directories as well.

Happy Eating!

Poor cows. A thread about Cow Appreciation has turned into being about eating them! I don't think that was the kind of appreciation that was meant.
                  sigpic

Comment

thanks alot for the info luda! i will definitely ask what is what when i go to whole foods.

Comment

why dey make da cows appreciation day in da middle of summer? all dey produce then is curddled milk! *laughin*
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Life is too short to not take the time to laugh” ~AME~
                      "Who can afford NOT to laugh at themselves?" ~AME~
                      "I laugh the most when i laugh at myself!” ~AME~
                      "Laughter is'nt really "the best medicine"...it’s the CURE!” ~AME~
                      "Give me a good laugh,... and i will give you my world!” ~AME~

**laughin**

Comment

Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
                        Poor cows. A thread about Cow Appreciation has turned into being about eating them! I don't think that was the kind of appreciation that was meant.
                        holy cow luda, i think you have us indians mistaken for indians lmao!

ha ha ha ha ha i made a joke

Comment

Hey ApacheFire! Glad to see you back. Yes, I got your e-mail. Just been dealing with some family issues. I'll get back to you in a few days.
                          sigpic

Comment

RDNKJthank you for the welcome. im not back like i used to be. still have to spend all the time i have to spare, searching online for a place to move to. im actually searching out of state now.

its so hard to coordinate everything that has to be done. so many forms to fill out, phone calls to make, e-mail letters, finding a way to move my stuff, etc.
                            then starting on monday i will be going back to aqua physical therapy for a month to start. every monday and friday. then there is the standing appointment i have for my brain/mental therapy (depression & PTS) every thursday. oh, and inbetween all that there are my pain management dr. (what a joke HE is), and the guy who gives me my emo-meds.

oh, wait....this is the COW APPRECIATION DAY THREAD.
                            how about we get the prez to make a TAKE YOUR COW TO WORK DAY! *laffz*
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Life is too short to not take the time to laugh” ~AME~
                            "Who can afford NOT to laugh at themselves?" ~AME~
                            "I laugh the most when i laugh at myself!” ~AME~
                            "Laughter is'nt really "the best medicine"...it’s the CURE!” ~AME~
                            "Give me a good laugh,... and i will give you my world!” ~AME~

**laughin**

Comment

G&B and RDNKJ,you guys are lucky to have a whole foods market so close to you!! We order through the co-op that comes out from WA once a month. G&B there is a bison farm near Fargo,I don't believe they use chemicals,you could come check it out...Just Kidding!!

Hey,RDNKJ,eating cows is part of appreciating them,for all that they were meant to be.....
                              Last edited by MCKiemle; 07-20-2010, 12:24 PM.

Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: Rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
                              - Solomon

Comment

oh from fargo yaaaah?

people i met that are from brainerd don't like that movie, which makes it funnier!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.