Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy_truckin_NDN
    replied
    Our tribe started raising buffalo about 10 years ago. I finally got to sample some ground up buffalo meat and I really thought it was gonna taste like cardboard, like the commod bison meat. And it was the bomb. Man! Loved it. Now they give out the meat to the diabetics and elders, of which, I don't fall into either category. bleah. I can't even talk my uncle out of his rations....LOL

Leave a comment:

• caity
    replied
    Originally posted by Grits & Beans View Post
    grass fed beef should really be the only way to go. i wouldn't be surprised if they started cloning meat and selling it in grocery stores. a co-worker told me about a documentary called food inc. and i'm going to check it out on youtube...
    It's a superb documentary, albeit quite disturbing. I really had no idea what kind of a stranglehold agribusiness had on our food supply until I watched it.

Leave a comment:

• Toolbox
    replied
    The taste difference between industrial processed cattle and free range farm cattle is very noticable. My GF lives near a farm where they only sell the fresh stuff, including milk, and I had a steak from there once and it was one of the best steaks I have ever had, beside an Omaha steak a few years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Grits & Beans
    replied
    yeah luda i was thinking about getting my beef(and bison when i can afford it) from whole foods, which isn't far from where i live. still want to get my hands on a buffalo tenderloin!

Leave a comment:

• RDNKJ
    replied
    Yeah, the (human) disease in Papua New Guinea is called "kuru," similar to Jacob-Kreutzfeld, and linked to cannibalism, specifically eating (people's) brains. I don't recall if that link is restricted to eating your own species or not.

I'm adventurous when it comes to food - but I won't even sample brains.

That's also one of the reasons I buy most of my beef and buffalo from ranches now, not the grocery store. I want my beef and buffalo to be 100% grass-fed. It's healthier, usually better-tasting, and is more humane. Compare the taste of milk from a grass-fed cow and one who has been feed ground up sheep spines and chicken shyte. A world of difference!!!

Leave a comment:

• MCKiemle
    replied
    That's right!
    Even if it does make you sick,at least you know what you have been eating all these years.

Leave a comment:

• Grits & Beans
    replied
    i'd rather be informed than ignorant.

it just might confirm what i think about the food industry in general, plus show me some things i never knew...

Leave a comment:

• Toolbox
    replied
    I was told that if you see Food Inc that it'll make you never want to eat any meat that isn't "free range".

Leave a comment:

• MCKiemle
    replied
    Be careful G&B!! you may not want to eat anything for a while after watching it!!
    i have not seen it yet,not in the mood for something depressing...and we grow most of our own food!
    Last edited by MCKiemle; 07-15-2010, 11:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Grits & Beans
    replied
    grass fed beef should really be the only way to go. i wouldn't be surprised if they started cloning meat and selling it in grocery stores. a co-worker told me about a documentary called food inc. and i'm going to check it out on youtube...

Leave a comment:

• Toolbox
    replied
    It was for a show my company did years ago and RD you are correct that was what they determined it to be. They also showed 16mm footage of a tribe in New Guinea (sp?) that had a funeral ritural where they consumed part of the deceased person's brain and that was causing some transmission of a similar disease within the tribe, if I remembered that correctly.

Leave a comment:

• RDNKJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
    While I was at work today I came across some old footage of the mad cow disease (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) out break in the UK. There were cows mooing, flipping out, and being burned in a big fire pit, oh yeah and sheep with scrapie. Sad to say the least.
    That's what happens when ya take herbivores and force them to be carnivores/ cannibals.

Leave a comment:

• Toolbox
    replied
    While I was at work today I came across some old footage of the mad cow disease (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) out break in the UK. There were cows mooing, flipping out, and being burned in a big fire pit, oh yeah and sheep with scrapie. Sad to say the least.

Leave a comment:

• xTekno
    replied
    Yellow Pig Day is coming right up!

As well as Ugly Truck Day and Take Your Pants for a Walk Day!

Leave a comment:

• Grits & Beans
    replied
    today is tan'neeszahnii techno day. tomorrow is cow appreciation day lol

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.