X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toolbox
    replied
    Originally posted by MCKiemle View Post
    I have not seen the Fargo movie and don't have any wish to either,I wonder,is the tourism down this year due to that?
    You have to see Fargo, its so funny, and almost all in part due to Steve Buschemi (sp?), hes just such a odd ball in this film. You should also see Raising Arizona, same people who made Fargo.

Leave a comment:

• MCKiemle
    replied
    I have not seen the Fargo movie and don't have any wish to either,I wonder,is the tourism down this year due to that?

Leave a comment:

• xTekno
    replied
    I appreciate the cow that donated the hide which was used to make my new leather vest! It's the Harley-Davidson extremely classic Legendary Eagle Vest with the large eagle on the back (PART NUMBER: 98131-08VM). This vest is being discontinued so they're collectable items.

Leave a comment:

• Grits & Beans
    replied
    where's the beef?

Leave a comment:

• Toolbox
    replied
    That movie is funny because SPOILER!
    Steven Buschemi gets the stuffing beat out of him and then put in a wood chipper at the end.

Leave a comment:

• Grits & Beans
    replied
    oh from fargo yaaaah?

people i met that are from brainerd don't like that movie, which makes it funnier!

Leave a comment:

• MCKiemle
    replied
    G&B and RDNKJ,you guys are lucky to have a whole foods market so close to you!! We order through the co-op that comes out from WA once a month. G&B there is a bison farm near Fargo,I don't believe they use chemicals,you could come check it out...Just Kidding!!

Hey,RDNKJ,eating cows is part of appreciating them,for all that they were meant to be.....
    Last edited by MCKiemle; 07-20-2010, 12:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• APACHEFIRE
    replied
    RDNKJthank you for the welcome. im not back like i used to be. still have to spend all the time i have to spare, searching online for a place to move to. im actually searching out of state now.

its so hard to coordinate everything that has to be done. so many forms to fill out, phone calls to make, e-mail letters, finding a way to move my stuff, etc.
    then starting on monday i will be going back to aqua physical therapy for a month to start. every monday and friday. then there is the standing appointment i have for my brain/mental therapy (depression & PTS) every thursday. oh, and inbetween all that there are my pain management dr. (what a joke HE is), and the guy who gives me my emo-meds.

oh, wait....this is the COW APPRECIATION DAY THREAD.
    how about we get the prez to make a TAKE YOUR COW TO WORK DAY! *laffz*

Leave a comment:

• RDNKJ
    replied
    Hey ApacheFire! Glad to see you back. Yes, I got your e-mail. Just been dealing with some family issues. I'll get back to you in a few days.

Leave a comment:

• Grits & Beans
    replied
    Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
    Poor cows. A thread about Cow Appreciation has turned into being about eating them! I don't think that was the kind of appreciation that was meant.
    holy cow luda, i think you have us indians mistaken for indians lmao!

ha ha ha ha ha i made a joke

Leave a comment:

• APACHEFIRE
    replied
    why dey make da cows appreciation day in da middle of summer? all dey produce then is curddled milk! *laughin*

Leave a comment:

• Grits & Beans
    replied
    thanks alot for the info luda! i will definitely ask what is what when i go to whole foods.

Leave a comment:

• RDNKJ
    replied
    You'd have to ask your local Whole Foods. That is something that would be sourced more-or-less locally. I don't think there is a national brand of truly grass fed beef/buffalo. You might also check out your local farmer's market. I'd be willing to bet there'll be at least one ranch vendor there selling grass fed beef.

I know up unti recently Whole Foods had a contract with the Northern Arapaho to supply buffalo for their stores in 4 or 5 states. So, my guess is it is regional.

There are people on here who are far, far more knowledgable on this than I am, but here are a few things to consider.

Free-Range. Free-range doesn't necessarily mean that animal ever saw the sun or a blade of grass. It just means they "had access to" the outdoors for some unspecified amount of time. The term is unregulated for cattle. But for poultry the USDA allows the use of the term free range if the poultry had open air access for as little as five minutes per day.

Organic. For cattle, basically means that they weren't fed animal by-products. I think we all have different ideas as to what "organic" means. People should just be aware the reality may not quite mesh with what they think of as organic.

Grass-Fed. I found this out when I was first going toward grass-fed beef/buffalo a few years ago. The use of the term is often deceptive. A lot, maybe most, of the grass-fed beef out there are only fed on grass until they are sent for finishing where they go the same mega feedlots as all the other cattle and get pumped full of hormones, antibiotics, and they are fed grain. And unless grass-fed and organic, might be fed animal by-products as well. The USDA was/is considering a rule that would allow the label beef "grass-fed" if as little as 80% of the animals feed was grass (with no definition of what is or isn't allowed for the other 20%.)

So, depending on the reasons people want to go to grass-fed, they probably want to ensure that the animal was 100% grass fed. For that, ya gotta ask, and research (thank god for the internet!).

Personally, I think Whole Foods can be trusted not to use sources that are egregiously deceptive, but...they are big business so, who knows? But, all the meat I've ever bought from Whole Foods has been excellent, both in quality and taste. And you can taste the difference.

For anyone interested, check out eatwild. com. It has a lot of information as well as a Pastured Products Directory broken down by city/state. And other directories as well.

Happy Eating!

Poor cows. A thread about Cow Appreciation has turned into being about eating them! I don't think that was the kind of appreciation that was meant.

Leave a comment:

• Grits & Beans
    replied
    Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
    Just be careful. When meat is labeled "grass-fed," "organic," "free-range," etc. that often (usually?) doesn't necessarily mean what people think it means.
    ok, so if i wanted ground beef or ground bison, which brand(s) would you recommend(that actually is what it says it is)?

Leave a comment:

• RDNKJ
    replied
    I love Whole Foods! The flagship store is just down the street from where I work - it's like a food palace! It's dangerous though. I always end up spending way too much money when I go in there. But the food, esp. the produce! mmmmmmm

Just be careful. When meat is labeled "grass-fed," "organic," "free-range," etc. that often (usually?) doesn't necessarily mean what people think it means.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• OLChemist
    Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
    by OLChemist
    *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
    06-21-2021, 12:08 PM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X