Wooden NDNz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden NDNz

Just wanted to know what u guys thought about these when u seen them around.

It seems like here in TX, I see them EVERYWHERE! I dont feel honored or appreciative to be represented this way.

I feel that they should be stored and left to private collectors in personal home collections much like the old Sambo and Aunt Jemima art work.

What do u guys think?

I'm thinking about creating a picture site of all these wooden creations I see around.
    The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

I've never liked them since the first one I saw when I was little. I agree that they shouldn't be out on public display, but put away so they're not out there offending NDN people.

And that Johnny Cash song - Poor ole' Kalijah. That's always rubbed me the wrong way.

On the other hand, have you seen those big wooden carvings some guy made years ago and donated one to each state. They're pretty cool and very TALL. I think I've seen 3 of them. I know there's on in Idaho Falls, I think the Wyoming one is in Buffalo.
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Here's a pic on one on the East Coast. The guy's name is Peter Toth and he did carve one in each state ending with a Polynesian carving in Hawaii in 1988. Now he's gone on to do some in Canada and Mexico.
      Attached Files
      ...it is what it is...

Comment

Re: Wooden NDNz

Originally posted by superndngyrl
        Just wanted to know what u guys thought about these when u seen them around.

It seems like here in TX, I see them EVERYWHERE! I dont feel honored or appreciative to be represented this way.

I feel that they should be stored and left to private collectors in personal home collections much like the old Sambo and Aunt Jemima art work.

What do u guys think?

I'm thinking about creating a picture site of all these wooden creations I see around.
        ....i just see a empty box with a red X...what is it of SUPER?.....:p
        Never squat naked in spurs

Comment

Click here --> Wooden Indian Statue

Comment

We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
            If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance.

....that's what it says when ya click on it.... :(

Comment

wierd! when i click on it works...

I'll upload the pic after work then. Sorry if you peeps can't view it... Its like one of those cigar store Indians. This one is located in front of 3 Forks Restaurant here in Dallas... an Upscale place. hmmm...

Comment

I say ignite the sucker and just watch it burn!O U T T I E:Angel2

Comment

....that would send out a statement.... but she may wind up burnin the building down 2.....

Comment

Ignorance is Bliss

Crackers just don't understand.....Ignorant.....If I respond more on this it might be grounds to Incriminate myself....
                    "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Hey Super did you take that picture on my front porch????

I thought everyone knew that was the best way to let all the neighbors know you are a real live NDN.
                      The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
                      -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

[QUOTE][i]Originally

And that Johnny Cash song - Poor ole' Kalijah. That's always rubbed me the wrong way.

It was Hank Williams that sang that
                        :Chatter
                        "come on dale". J.J..

Comment

Hank williams, Johnny Cash both sang Kawliga. I didn't like the song either.
                          yeah, yeah, yeah...

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?

Comment

ATTACHED IS A PIC OF THE "CIGAR STORE INDIAN"
                            Attached Files

Comment

and for those that wanted to see the lyrics they were talking about, here you go:

Kawliga was a wooden Indian standing by the door
                              He fell in love with an Indian maid over in the antique store
                              Kawliga - A, just stood there and never let it show
                              So she could never answer Yes or No

He always wore his Sunday feathers and held a tomahawk
                              The maiden wore her beads and braids and hoped someday he'd talk
                              Kawliga, too stubborn to ever show a sign
                              Because his heart was made of knotty pine

Poor ol' Kawliga, he never got a kiss,
                              Poor ol' Kawliga, he don't know what he missed
                              Is it any wonder that his face is red
                              Kawliga, that poor ol' wooden head. ...

Kawliga was a lonely Indian never went nowhere
                              His heart was set on the Indian maiden with the coal black hair
                              Kawliga just stood there and never let it show
                              So she could never answer Yes or No

Poor ol' Kawliga, he never got a kiss,
                              Poor ol' Kawliga, he don't know what he missed
                              Is it any wonder that his face is red
                              KAW-LIGA, that poor ol' wooden head. ...

Then one day a wealthy customer bought the Indian maid
                              And took her, oh, so far away, but ol' Kawliga stayed
                              Kawliga just stands there as lonely as can be
                              And wishes he was still an old pine tree.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• OLChemist
                                Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                                by OLChemist
                                *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                                06-21-2021, 01:08 PM
                              • TigerEyes214
                                Neverending Game
                                by TigerEyes214
                                k. I didn't see any game like this before so....short and sweet here goes:

Last one to post wins!!! GO!!!!!!

(so far I'm the winner) :taunting:
                                05-07-2004, 04:12 PM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X