Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you bring with you on a deserted Iceland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    yaahl
    Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

• yaahl
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
    And the bikini she wore on Dusk til Dawn!
    JD, you need to get out more... why have clothing at all? You're scaring me that you would want her to cover up...

Leave a comment:

• Joe's Dad
    The voices tell me...

• Joe's Dad
    replied
    Originally posted by Zeke View Post
    1. Salma Hayek.
    2. Latex prophylactics.
    3. A radio transmitter: which I wouldn't turn on until we got hungry.
    And the bikini she wore on Dusk til Dawn!

Leave a comment:

• wyo_rose
    Ready to dance

• wyo_rose
    replied
    I'm so ready to move to a desert isle and stay a good long while.
    My special request that the island has a hot springs.

My lil survival kit contains a Rambo knife, with all the bells and whistles, rope, tarps, a water filter, cast iron pan, and fish hooks.

I'll need to be barged over cuz I'm bringing plenty of chickens, a couple pigs, a milk cow, a little herd of beef, veggie seeds and a farmer!

To keep my sanity, I need a solar powered Kindle with10,000 books loaded, my beading kit with kilos of beads, bolts of fabric, paper, and colored pencils.

My kids and grandkids can come visit whenever they want. Friends and relatives can come over for the day.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy_truckin_NDN
    3 down and 1 to go! lol

• Chevy_truckin_NDN
    replied
    I would take my husband, because he does the whole outdoorsy thing....that way I wouldn't have to worrry about food....as in fishing or killing something to eat, cleaning it or cooking it. And then he would also do the fire and make the camp.

I would take seeds, so I can have a variety of vegetables...

the library of congress.......so I could have something to read....and read about what I don't know about being stranded, foraging...etc..

And since my whole goal is not to come back...I think I'm pretty much set.... :)

Leave a comment:

• Zeke
    Self-Righteous Injun

• Zeke
    replied
    1. Salma Hayek.
    2. Latex prophylactics.
    3. A radio transmitter: which I wouldn't turn on until we got hungry.

Leave a comment:

• elokuu
    Pow Wow Visitor

• elokuu
    replied
    Oh argh, the other day I had a horrible nightmare about Iceland, as in Iceland Iceland...I was on a boat and a volcano erupted in Iceland and there was nothing left of the country except some lava, and then the "magnetism" (it was a dream, I dunno!) sunk the ship as well, and everyone in the cheap cabins below sea level drowned, and I would have died too if I wasn't at the time in a bar on one of the upper deck. Soo anyway I interpreted it so that the Iceland volcano was the financial crisis and the ship was a metaphor of society and the only way one can survive is to party with the upper classes...

Aaaanyway...last night I was "stranded" outside my apartment, having lost the key, and at first I tried to pick the lock open with a bobby pin but it turns out you need some sort of tension wrench too. So I "survived" by hanging out at a nearby gas station reading old newspapers until I could reach one of my friend with a phone. So in light of recent experiences I would take sufficient tools, a gas station, old newspapers and if I'm allowed two more things then maybe a ukulele and some chocolate. Phew, seems I'm in anecdote mode again! :)

Leave a comment:

• yaahl
    Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

• yaahl
    replied
    Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
    Well, in my desert island fantasy, Britannia's been refurbished and would be up to par as if Her Majesty were going to come aboard any minute to sail around the world making state visits to the Commonwealth!

Oh, one thing though, I get to choose the furniture. American and English taste is not the same!

Make sure you paint the main staircase, it's a yukky pusser's green. But the dining table is pretty kewl... so is the guest book... one page is signed by the Russian Tsar Nicholas. Little trivia about the yacht, the engine room is so clean that if Aunty Betty were to visit it in a white ballgown, she would not get dirty. The funnels are cleaned twice a day for the same reason... it kind of makes the skipper seem a little OCD on cleaning stations... lol

Leave a comment:

• neling4
    Eskimo wannabe

• neling4
    replied
    After thinking about this seriously, I would have to amend my list, because my first priority would be to get off that isolated island. A ship or yacht would do me no good as I don't know how to operate them.

Since food and clean water are already available, the five things I would take would be:

#1. A powerful two-way radio or whatever is the most efficient mode of communication which does not require electricity or frequent battery replacement, so I can call for someone to come and rescue me.

#2. A large and well-supplied first aid kit, which would include my medication so I don't go crazy while i am waiting to be rescued.

#3. My toiletry bag full of toiletries (ie. soap, toothbrush and toothpaste)

#4. A Swiss army knife with everything imaginable attached.

#5. My fancy LL Bean tent.
    neling4
    Eskimo wannabe
    Last edited by neling4; 02-27-2011, 03:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RDNKJ
    Lion of Judah

• RDNKJ
    replied
    Well, in my desert island fantasy, Britannia's been refurbished and would be up to par as if Her Majesty were going to come aboard any minute to sail around the world making state visits to the Commonwealth!

Oh, one thing though, I get to choose the furniture. American and English taste is not the same!

Leave a comment:

• yaahl
    Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

• yaahl
    replied
    Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
    Well, if we get to bring things like the navy....

Dibs on the Royal Yacht Britannia! (fully staffed and provisioned)

But, really...

1. a good wilderness survival manual
    2. a guide to the flora and fauna of the island
    3. a full general toolbox (basic handtools, a small supply of nails, screws, etc.)
    4. a machete
    5. a small box/bag of magnifying glasses (for fire)

I think that should about do it. But, if you were somehow marooned, you would probably still have those things that you routinely carry in your pockets. In my case, that would include 1 or 2 bic lighters.
    The snotty yachties have been put into moth balls... well a museum actually..so good luck with that.

I'd have to add my own version of a Wilson...and a few jars of coffee mate.. for fire starting.

Leave a comment:

• RDNKJ
    Lion of Judah

• RDNKJ
    replied
    Well, if we get to bring things like the navy....

Dibs on the Royal Yacht Britannia! (fully staffed and provisioned)

But, really...

1. a good wilderness survival manual
    2. a guide to the flora and fauna of the island
    3. a full general toolbox (basic handtools, a small supply of nails, screws, etc.)
    4. a machete
    5. a small box/bag of magnifying glasses (for fire)

I think that should about do it. But, if you were somehow marooned, you would probably still have those things that you routinely carry in your pockets. In my case, that would include 1 or 2 bic lighters.

Leave a comment:

• wanjica_the_one
    Pow Wow Visitor

• wanjica_the_one
    replied
    cans of menudo

white flour

lard

sacks of lemons

can opener

Leave a comment:

• neling4
    Eskimo wannabe

• neling4
    replied
    That's an idea! Forget the tent. I'll just bring the Navy.

Leave a comment:

• yaahl
    Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

• yaahl
    replied
    Originally posted by neling4 View Post
    I would bring a tent, non perishable food and a can opener, my campstove and lots of fuel, matches, a water purifier, my books, a cell phone, a laptop and the Army Corp of Engineers.
    My great big grey messenger of death... self contained, fully victualized, go anywhere brown or blue waters, and soup for 10:00 stand easy.

Leave a comment:

• Grits & Beans
    Ugh. As. If.

• Grits & Beans
    replied
    oh yeah and lots of soap lol

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X