X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween Indian Costumes.

____

It's that time again. . .

Next Friday, children of all ages will be wearing costumes of their favorite cartoon caracters, witches and American Indians etc. etc.

Some say this is to honor us.

Some just want to be Indian for an evening.

Some say it is harmless.

"I think it's an atrocity and mockery and sends a really negative message about Indian culture."

What do you think??????????
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

i think its BS

but then someones always tryna be someone else
    *~*~*~Do Not Lead me in to Temptation I can Find it myself*~*~*~ :D :uptosomet

Comment

3 words.....

PEE -- WEEEE HERMAN!!!!

Comment

I am going dressed as an urban Indian

if not then I will dress as a guy without socks.

better, maybe I will cut up some sheets and dress up as a ghost with a pointy head.
        It is so sad that a family can torn apart by something as simple as a wild pack of dogs.

Comment

Hmm... I was adopted by a white family...When I was younger and couldn't object to what I was made to wear...My parents would dress me up as an "indian". Now that I think of it....They were poopyheads!
          "A single tear found it's way down her face. She swallowed in an effort to choke back the flood that threatened to follow. She lifted her chin. She was an Apache. Her captors would NOT see her cry...."
          --Walks Alone, Brian Burks

"My hair is long, my skin is tan, my eyes brown, and my heart strong. I am an Apache woman. I will not be broken."

Comment

Well I definitly don't think it honors us. Halloween IS to dress as something you are not or someone you would like to be or admire for one night though and get candy and treats... at least that is the childrens' point of view. Granted the costumes suck and so do the warhoops and the stereotypes..but what did you dress up as when you were a kid?

cowboys
            clowns
            monsters
            ghosts
            witches (think of how much this ticks off wiccans with that negative sterotype! LOL)
            superheros
            animals
            princesses
            monsters
            hobos (how do the homeless feel with this one?)
            cartoon characters

I don't think there has'nt been a race, culture, social class not covered in the costume department. I don't know, I just don't think I will let a child having fun dressed in a "COSTUME" (key word here since they never really resemble anythign we'd wear anyhow) offend me.
            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Touché....Touché

sp??
              "A single tear found it's way down her face. She swallowed in an effort to choke back the flood that threatened to follow. She lifted her chin. She was an Apache. Her captors would NOT see her cry...."
              --Walks Alone, Brian Burks

"My hair is long, my skin is tan, my eyes brown, and my heart strong. I am an Apache woman. I will not be broken."

Comment

I think it's kinda stoopid, I don't see people dressing up as white
                people! haha can you imagine how many bottles of white out that would take? LOL just playin. well I dunno...some people can juss go as theirselves...now thats scurry
                LOVE ME OR HATE ME

Comment

I think im gonna be a "A.I.M.ster"
                  LOL:JawDrop :chief:
                  Mens inhumanity to each other is surpassed ONLY by what women do to each other.
                  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
                  Quote: "I blame it on my youngnessness..." BTH
                  DEATH TO ALL LURKERS!!!! ME

Comment

Originally posted by breezy_fosheezy
                    I think it's kinda stoopid, I don't see people dressing up as white people
                    Someone, somewhere on my rez does this every year.:D

Comment

Re: Pointy-headed ghost. Someone who dresses in a white bed
                      sheet and a pointed hood is dressing up as something a lot more
                      dangerous than a pointy-headed ghost. Know what the initials
                      KKK stand for?
                      alamosaurus

Comment

can i be a jew for halloween????
                        who lives in a pineapple under the sea? man i wish it was me!

Comment

Maybe Andrew Jackson with an arrow through his head.
                          believe in yourself

Comment

Originally posted by kneegrow_native
                            maybe I will cut up some sheets and dress up as a ghost with a pointy head.
                            HAHAHA... good one!

ahhh, who cares? i don't... i mean, it's a costume anyways and yes of course it sends out negative messages, but i agree w/blackbear... someone having fun in a costume will not offend me. it's all in good fun anyways.
                            "i don't like to walk fast man - i like to strut!"

Comment

Originally posted by lakotajingledancer
                              can i be a jew for halloween????
                              How ig-nant...
                              "Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it."

~ Ah nech me hewet ~ :49:

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• OLChemist
                                Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                                by OLChemist
                                *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                                06-21-2021, 01:08 PM
                              • Tsalagi_Phoenix
                                Books!
                                by Tsalagi_Phoenix
                                It seems that all the 'what are you reading now' threads have died and I decided to make my own thread for books.

Post what you're currently reading, ask for recommendations or give recommendations, post what books you got most recently and anything else book related.

I'm...
                                02-16-2012, 08:46 PM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X