No announcement yet.

Books!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm reading Mankiller: A Chief and Her People by Wilma Mankiller.
    Make sure to post on the books thread http://www.powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=62514

And look, a Stitch smiley!

Comment

• Currently reading Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul.
      Make sure to post on the books thread http://www.powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=62514

Comment

• Hey, I just wanted to let everybody know about HathiTrust website:

https://www.hathitrust.org/

It's a non-profit digital website and it's free. You can sign up as a guest (courtesy of University of Michigan) then you can download pdfs and print books (or just selected pages) whose copyrights have expired.

Highly recommend it! Great for doing research.

Lots of ole NDN books out there that are out of print or would cost a fortune to buy.

Comment

• I'm reading Illegal by Bettina Restrepo.

Comment

• Currently reading Urban Gothic by Brian Keene.

Comment

• Custer died for your sins

by Vine Deloria, JR.
              Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
              Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
              Show me, and I will understand.
              Involve me, and I will learn.”
              Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
              Courage to change the things I can,
              And wisdom to know the difference.
              Living one day at a time,
              Enjoying one moment at a time,
              Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
              (Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)

Comment

• Last night I started:

David Grann, Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI, Doubleday, 2017.

This is the story of the murders of members of one Osage family during the 1920's and 1930's. They were, like many many other Osage, being killed for their mineral rights. The federal investigation of the sizable criminal conspiracy that killed 24+ Osage was conducted by the then fledgling FBI.

Comment

• This weekend I finished rereading Mary Roach's Packing for Mars That was my fun read.

I also got about 1/4 of the way through The Handbook of Ellipsometry. I got bogged down somewhere in dielectric tensor. Wish I had actually had an E&M course. Learning the Maxwell equations in the gutter has been a distinct disadvantage.

Comment

• Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
                    I also got about 1/4 of the way through The Handbook of Ellipsometry. I got bogged down somewhere in dielectric tensor. Wish I had actually had an E&M course. Learning the Maxwell equations in the gutter has been a distinct disadvantage.

I am always surprised by expressions used. Gutter I have found in the dictionary and there are thee main German words which are listed to gutter.

Whatever of those three words is applicable I agree to you. The real challenge later is to apply the right math under given boundary conditions.

That is good for long scientific debates about Maxwell, his equations and algebraic as well numeric solutions to practical problems. That is long ago that I did such math.
                    Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
                    Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• Sorry. I use a lot of idioms and then forget they don't translate well.

"In the gutter" is an American expression meaning in, to or from a squalid, filthy condition. To learn about something in the gutter is to imply you learned about it under unsavory, slightly illicit conditions. It also implies some of what you learned about the subject might be of questionable accuracy. In American English we'll say things like "That language belongs in the gutter," meaning that language is crude or profane and shouldn't be used in most circumstances.

I was making a feeble joke about learning E&M on my own, in bits and pieces as I needed it, rather than in a classroom.

Comment

• No need for sorry but thank you very much for the explanation.

Learning E&M on your own without classroom that requires a lot of personal qualities to will, persistance, endurance,...

"Learning in the gutter" is than not easy to translate to German in one short sentence and retaining the full meaning.

The general meaning of two of the words for gutter carry in them the meaning of your explanation. "The language belongs in the gutter" may be translated as "Gossensprache" or "Sprache aus der Gosse. "Gosse" a pleb word for "Rinnstein". Third word listed is "Dachrinne" = roof gutter.

It makes a difference between written and edited books and classroom learning of "Oxford English" in "higher" education against normal day usage of English.

Here at least I am not exposed to the spoken language of the Scots and Welsh here.

Again learned something new. Taught English by "Indianer".

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• I finished Killers of the Flower Moon. Heartbreaking.

This review gives a rough outline of the action.

Killers of the Flower Moon review: The best book of the year so far

Comment

• Finished Custer died for your sins.

A very interesting reading. Parts informative as to details, parts agreeable to the truth, parts to laugh, parts to disagree and perhaps intended to provoke thinking.

Not every chapter is easy to read, to understand and comprehend due to many reasons.

Some description of BIA behavior let's me think "Schilda".

Der Begriff Schildbürgerstreich findet in der Umgangssprache für aberwitzige und irreführende Regelungen oder Auswüchse der Bürokratie Verwendung.
                            The term "Schildbürgerstreich" (shield citizen prank)is used in the colloquial language for the irresponsible and misleading regulations or excesses of the bureaucracy.

Started just with "Bead on an Anthill, A Lakota Childhood" by Delphine Red Shirt.
                            Last edited by Broken Arrow; 05-02-2017, 02:49 PM.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• Finished Bead on an anthill. I very much like it.

Now reading Turtle Lung Woman's Granddaughter by Delphine Red Shirt.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• Finished Turtle Lung Woman's granddaughter.
                                A very great reading. I like it.
                                Its so personal and takes you only by writing into another world as real if you let it happen.

Next book.
                                Dancing with a ghost by Rupert Ross.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.