X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLChemist
    replied
    You need to read:

Edward Kadlecek, To Kill An Eagle: Indian Views on the Last Days of Crazy Horse, Johnson Books, 1983.

You can hear the author talk about his book.

Book TV: The Killing of Crazy Horse
    Last edited by OLChemist; 06-20-2020, 08:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Just started:

The killing of Crazy Horse

by Thomas Powers.

The beginning is very interesting reading as it is readable like a story told and yet incorporates traceable sources of all kinds available given in endnotes.

OK, endnotes requires to leaf through the book but footnotes wouldn't be a better choice. You can choose between footnotes and endnotes and both have there merits and misgivings. Yet they are useful and helpfull in the way the book is written. Else the charakter of a story told would be destroyed.

May be read first without rcourse the endnotes and a second read with consulting the endnotes.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Rosebud June 17, 1876
    Prelude to the Little Big Horn
    by Paul L. Hedren.

Somehow it reads very much one sided or as seen by the soldiers on General Crroks side.

I had hoped for a view as seen by either side and very much more including oral history of the Cheyenne, Lakota and Araphaos to point out there view fo the fight on the large battlefield of the Rosebud.

That are historical sources too. Different than a written report of the officers and the newspaper articles but nevertheless, real sources which exists and have to be taken into account.

Sigh.

Leave a comment:

• Tsalagi_Phoenix
    replied
    I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Leave a comment:

• Tsalagi_Phoenix
    replied
    Currently reading A Tale of Two Castles by Gail Carson Levine.
    Last edited by Tsalagi_Phoenix; 05-25-2019, 05:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ndnsoldierboy
    replied
    I found my old pocketbook of the US Constitution. I carried this copy in a small plastic bag in Afghanistan and Iraq. I started to read it again. I have read this a lot.

NSB

Leave a comment:

• Tsalagi_Phoenix
    replied
    I'm reading The Book of Dust by Philip Pullman.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    I'm re-reading Scared Wildness by Susan Power

Leave a comment:

• Nina265
    replied
    Hi,
    I am currently reading: On My Knees, A Memoir _ Periel Aschenbrand.

Dafont 192.168.l.l FileHippo
    Last edited by Nina265; 04-10-2019, 03:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kassu
    replied
    I really love to read. Recently, I often read e-books. I bought almost the entire series of books about Xanthus (this is fantasy by Anthony Pierce, here is a description). At first, these books seemed childish to me, but then I realized that adult questions were raised there. The author brilliantly described the quantum theory in one of his books. I like how easily and simply the author describes such social problems as racism, censorship, conflicts in relationships.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    George J. Barth
    Native American Beadwork

Leave a comment:

• Tsalagi_Phoenix
    replied
    Currently reading You're Making Me Hate You by Corey Taylor.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Re-reading Tim McCreight's, The Metalsmith's Book of Boxes & Lockets

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Currently reading GEO Epoche
    Thirty years war 1618 - 1648

Leave a comment:

• Tsalagi_Phoenix
    replied
    Currently reading Brutally Honest by Melanie B.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.