Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLChemist
    replied
    I'm reading Dana Lone Hill's A Week in the Life of a Rez Chick. I'm fifteen pages in I keep startling the cat by busting out laughing: "...bigger players than a whole drum group...", "...ladies related to everyone for 'maximum wateca exposure'....", "don't pet Wahumpi...." It's been ages since I've heard anyone described as gigi.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    https://assets.thalia.media/doc/b2/1...e9a6923996.pdf

I know the Developer System by Keil for the Intel 80XXX and using C.
    Not so bad a book to read. Well, not as easy as Tom Clancy's Sum of all fears.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Now the start the not so interesting read: Practical Microcontroller Engineering with ARM­ Technology

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    I stayed up half the night reading Bringing Home Columbia, about the space shuttle recovery efforts in east Texas in 2003.

When the shuttle broke up over north Texas, I was in the parking lot outside our research machine shop. It was a Saturday morning and I was checking on the large scale diamond flycutting machine, which had been cutting a large prism array for two days and had two more days to go. I heard a boom as I got out of the car and saw a couple streaks of fire cross the sky. I thought it was a meteorite and just went into work. I never even connected it with the shuttle.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    I reread Touching the Fire by Roger Welsh.

It is better then the first time reading.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    I just finished re-reading: The Unquiet Grave : The FBI and the Struggle for the Soul of Indian Country by Steve Hendricks and Ultraprecision Machining of Hybrid Freeform Surfaces Using Multiple-Axis Diamond Turning by Dennis Neo Wee Keong.

I'm waiting for my copy of A Journey to Freedom: Richard Oakes, Alcatraz, and the Red Power Movement by Kent Blansett. I had hoped to get it Friday but it's late :(

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Aram Mattaioli
    Verlorene Welten (Lost Worlds)
    Eine Geschichte der Indianer Nordamerikas ( A history of North American Nations)

Think there is no English verison. You can find comments in English on that book. A very well written book which leaves no doubt.

Leave a comment:

• gameofdrones
    replied
    Im currently reading game of thrones. I watched the series first but I wish I had read the book prior to that .

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Just got and started to read and look:

Pehin Hanska Kasota
    Rubbing out Long Hair

The American Indian story of the Littlr Big Horn in Art and Word

by Col. ret. Rodney G. Thomas

Insightful, balanced text and g´reat great pictures of the ledger art.

He recognices and emphases the ledger drawings as beeing great art (skills of the artists) and a way of transportation of historal truth and more which have long been not recognized as it should have been.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
    At the end of the video he talks about his older brother teasing him about shaving his head. He replied that it beat the "braid over," LOL.
    That remembers me of an old coworker of dad who a wig when a wind gust lifted his wig. After that he went with bald head.

David Treuer has his way of humor.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Originally posted by Broken Arrow View Post
    Since 2012 he has gotten older and

lost a lot of his hair.
    There is only one way the keep from getting older. I don't recommend it.

At the end of the video he talks about his older brother teasing him about shaving his head. He replied that it beat the "braid over," LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Since 2012 he has gotten older and

lost a lot of his hair.

I fully support his saying and view of obiuatry.
    He knows to think and argue on what matters.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    OK [MENTION=236688]Broken Arrow[/MENTION], time to let the Indians come into modernity for a while. They're missing pizza and Facebook, LOL.

I have a recommendation for you. It will let Native people get to today:

David Treuer, The Heartbeat of Wounded Knee: Native America from 1890 to the Present, Riverhead Books, 2019.

Book TV: David Treuer talking about The Heartbeat of Wounded Knee

I really like what he says in the beginning before he reads from his book.
    Last edited by OLChemist; 06-21-2020, 07:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
    You need to read:

Edward Kadlecek, To Kill An Eagle: Indian Views on the Last Days of Crazy Horse, Johnson Books, 1983.

You can hear the author talk about his book.

Book TV: The Killing of Crazy Horse
    Luckily, that book is available at a seller in the US who delievers to Germany and is lower priced for a new pocket book with tranpsort fees than a used paperback offered in Germany. (20 € againts 70 €)

Thank you for the Video Links. A lot to browse and find.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    BA, you might find these of interest:

History TV: NMAI Little Bighorn Exhibit

Winter Counts

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.