Snake handlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake handlers

There is an old story I know you have all probably heard in one form or another... basically it goes...

A young girl was walking through the woods one day when she almost stepped on a snake. She pulled back in horror, but to her amazement, the snake cried out to her, "Oh, I'm so glad you came along. I'm so cold and need a friend. Will you please pick me up and put me under your coat so I can get warm, and will you be my friend?"

In fear, the girl replied, "Oh, no, I can't possibly do that. You're a rattlesnake and I can't pick you up."

"No," the rattlesnake answered, "that's not true. I promise I won't bite you. I really want to be your friend, and after all, am I not a creature of Tukunsila just like you? I'm so cold; please pick me up."

The girl sat down to think it over. As she looked at the snake, it became more beautiful to her with its many colors. She noticed its graceful lines and movement, and gradually it began to look harmless to her.

She thought, "Well, just because most rattlesnakes bite doesn't mean this one will. It seems like a very nice snake, and shouldn't I be willing to be a friend when someone asks me?"

So, she said, "Yes, I will be your friend," and she picked up the snake and put it under her warm blanket. Immediately the snake bit her, and the pain and poison flooded her body. She cried out in pain, "Why did you do that? Why did you bite me? You said you wanted to be my friend."

As the snake wiggled away from her, it turned and with a smirk, said, "Hey, you knew what I was when you picked me up."

So, with that... Are you or have you been a snake handler?

I have been...only thing is this last time has cost my household to be in finiancial caos.
    :(
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

YEP...I've been a snake handler...oh well, ya live and learn. AND, I have a very special person in my life thanks to the snake...my baby-girl.:)

AND, its her birthday today...my little Halloween baby :49: :46: :HappyBD:
    yeah, yeah, yeah...

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• OLChemist
      Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
      by OLChemist
      *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
      06-21-2021, 01:08 PM
    • NahimanaSung
      Hosting young girl in rez
      by NahimanaSung
      Hey!

I'm half Lakota/Dakota native american, currently living in France. I'm 18 years old, and at a point in my life where I really feel the need to explore my ancestry and learn more about my culture.

I don't know if this is the appropriate forum or way to ask,...
      03-07-2016, 09:56 AM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X