Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Redskins a derogatory term?

Is the term Redskin derogatory to you?

I have read two polls. One said only 10% of Natives think it is derogatory. Another poll says a majority of Natives think it is derogatory.

It is now being dissected in the courts, the media and around the cooler.

What is your take? Is it or isn't it a derogatory and demeaning term?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post

I have read two polls. One said only 10% of Natives think it is derogatory. Another poll says a majority of Natives think it is derogatory.

I like the peanuts, but I'm allergic to them.

Comment

Is the term "hillbilly" derogatory to West Virginians?

Personally, I believe context is everything. For example, I can easily write or speak a sentence where Redskin is used endearingly and Native American is a racial epithet.

In general, I've found that Indians who worry so much about names are the ones who only have the name left: if they had anything else, they wouldn't be worried about it.

Yes, definitions matter but I'm not defined by what somebody else calls me so I don't really care.

We've got bigger fish to fry.

Comment

It's not that important to me, so no it doesnt offend me. Only how sports fans portray what they think as native truly bothers me imo
        Last edited by blueberry111; 03-25-2013, 05:52 PM. Reason: didnt answer fully

Comment

yes. historically it is a racial epithet.
          It's use as a mascot is derogatory because using an entire race of people as a team mascot is derogatory.
          When you see sports fans dress up and play "Indian" you see the racism embedded in the culture.
          Maybe they don't think they are being racist.... they just rely on ridiculous stereotypes and Hollywood generalizations instead of actual facts.
          There is only one success; to be able to live your life in your own way.

Comment

Right off the cuff, I say YES. And I am one who is not in favor of removing native names from sports teams...except the derogatory ones, ie. Savages, etc...
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

I really could care less what someone calls me or my people. We all should know who we are and nobody can change that!

Comment

Yeah, it's racist I think. I think teams can do than that. People would be upset if a team was named the Blackskins or Yellowskins and rightfully so. Just because it is so entrenched and people may just not care to be uptight about it or or care about it at all or have bigger fish to fry doesn't make it right. I think it probably affects younger children the most, who see it and then get to learn about the derogatory term.

We bring our Seminole chairs to our local powwow and many people there have the same chairs. They were on sale for $5 a piece is why. And they are decent chairs.

Comment

The problem is "Political Correctness" where do you stop?

I work in Aviation and for the last 30 years in the private sector, "Gender Specific" terms have been stricken from Manuals that are used to maintain aircraft.
                  Such as: "Manhours" or "2 man Lift" ect ect ect

However this has not carried over to the Military Manuals
                  GASP!!!
                  Its a question of Money some of these manuals were written in the 1950's when these terms were used without a second thought,
                  And the DOD does not have the money nor the Legal prodding to go back and change them!
                  So where do you draw the line??

I am sure that someone found these terms offensive and court cases were fought and now millions are spent on changing these terms to fit a "Gender Neutral Society" Buh!

While I do agree that some of these sports teams and the tomahawk chop should go
                  Where do you Draw the Line??
                  The College I went to were called the Redmen and changed their name to the Riverhawks
                  Just not the same

I say enough! we have farrrr bigger fish to fry that is for sure
                  In this I agree with Zeke!
                  So Hail to the Redskins LoL

As far as names go at one time one sports team was called Bean Eaters...
                  Thank god somebody changed the name from the Bean Eaters though
                  I mean really Bean Eaters! Can you imagine farting all over the place
                  Must have been a Rez team at one time called that
                  ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                  Till I Die!

Comment

Thats insane, Josiah. That reminds me - I think it was California that a number of years ago got rid of the terms "Master" and "Slave" when referencing computer or other hardware. That and Diane Feinstein are amongst the reasons why I have decided that I would never live there.

As far as the term Red Skins is concerned I take the "Zeke" answer here and say that there are far bigger issues to settle first. It's too much money and energy wasted fighting over some words when there are issues like alcoholism, drugs, crime, and poverty to be squashed first.
                    CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
                    sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
                      Thats insane, Josiah. That reminds me - I think it was California that a number of years ago got rid of the terms "Master" and "Slave" when referencing computer or other hardware. That and Diane Feinstein are amongst the reasons why I have decided that I would never live there.

As far as the term Red Skins is concerned I take the "Zeke" answer here and say that there are far bigger issues to settle first. It's too much money and energy wasted fighting over some words when there are issues like alcoholism, drugs, crime, and poverty to be squashed first.
                      Yeah, but the os is called UNIX, like isn't that bad too? UNIX isn't UNIX without masters, slaves, zombies, and my favorite if pasttime of killing orphans and runaways. That is going way way way too far and makes me ashamed to be a woman, if women caused this.

If someone is negatively affected by computer terms, they have much much larger issues...

Look at the games kids end up playing when they get home from school, like gta and other adult stuff. Yeah, terms we use in the computer room are really a problem.

Comment

I don't see a problem with it. It's just a word that does not define me. Beside, my ole man, he always talks about the beauty of his redskin...lol He doesn't get black like me in the sun, he gets red, hence, his redskin...lol
                        sigpic This is how I dance when your standing next to me...

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."

Comment

Agreed we have bigger fish to fry.

However, the more the American public sees Indians as mascot characatures, the harder it is to take Indians as a whole, seriously.

I guess seeing my daughters bullied and called dirty redskins on their school bus in the Washington DC area has made this personal.
                          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Agreed we have bigger fish to fry.

However, the more the American public sees Indians as mascot characatures, the harder it is to take Indians as a whole, seriously.

I guess seeing my daughters bullied and called dirty redskins on their school bus in the Washington DC area has made this personal.
                            As a guess, that's a DC issue and not a mascot issue?

If I lived in Watts or Harlem (which has cleaned up nicely, by the way), I'd attribute any guff received there to prevailing local coarseness and not monikers of nearby sports teams.

It's not as if I don't live in Chief-land and this sort of thing just doesn't happen here, at least to me?

But I'm not all Malcom X about it which is one of the things that annoyed some wannabe militant types when I ran a Native-based not-for-profit, here.

Comment

Me pesonally I think there is bigger concerns than this too..but I always think about derogatory names agianst other races....what if they was called the washington n word or washington beaners...would those sets of people put up with it or do somthing about it? Cause I think there's african americans who wouldn't care if they was called that and I'm positive there's mexicans that wouldn't care if they used names like wetbacks! But there is enough of them that mainstream america wouldn't dare call teams these kind of names. The only thing wrong with this is mainstream america thinks that all indians are gone or to politcally weak to not care

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

• namamiinc
                                Hello From FLorida
                                by namamiinc
                                I’m a new member in town` and I’m so honored to be a part of PowWow community. Hope will to get to more friends and knowledge....
                                12-01-2022, 07:14 AM
                              • OLChemist
                                Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                                by OLChemist
                                *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                                06-21-2021, 01:08 PM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X