Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zeke View Post
    Sure.

But we're never going to be able to apply that much pressure, at least not without tackling the meaningful problems, first.
    Agreed and that is excatly what she wrote in her article, we are too few in numbers to march on anything and make it meaningful... However the numerous media outlets, social outlets, hell reality outlets seem to take a small issue (Like in this case) and magnify it then blow it compeltely out of porportion!!!!
    Who is to say it does not happen here???
    The Key is the Washington Redskins according to her article, they fold the rest will slowly cave in.
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

Comment

Originally posted by outershell View Post
      Spartan was never a racial epithet used against the people of Sparta.
      The US does not have 500 year history of committing genocide against the Vikings or Irish, or Patriots.
      ...so that's a little different.
      First, not different. Second, Spartan is used as a stereotype see meanings below:
      Spar·tan (spärtn)
      adj.
      1. Of or relating to Sparta or its people.
      2. also spartan
      a. Rigorously self-disciplined or self-restrained.
      b. Simple, frugal, or austere: a Spartan diet; a spartan lifestyle.
      c. Marked by brevity of speech; laconic.
      d. Courageous in the face of pain, danger, or adversity.
      n.

1. A citizen of Sparta.
      2. One of Spartan character.

Comment

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
        Agreed and that is excatly what she wrote in her article, we are too few in numbers to march on anything and make it meaningful... However the numerous media outlets, social outlets, hell reality outlets seem to take a small issue (Like in this case) and magnify it then blow it compeltely out of porportion!!!!
        Who is to say it does not happen here???
        The Key is the Washington Redskins according to her article, they fold the rest will slowly cave in.
        Then you have this:
        http://www.racialicious.com/2007/09/...n-stereotypes/

It's wishful thinking that everyone else will follow suit, if it's this much of an issue for one team. Colleges maybe, but I found more articles about the evils of stereotypes in the many college papers called the "Spartan" than I did discussion of the stereotyping of Spartan people. Many people are either insensitive or desensitized to alot of this. I think it's weird that people can be so politically correct and incorrect at the same time. This indicates that even many people who try hard to be considerate don't really understand or see it going on around them, maybe don't care to.

This wasn't true for other ethnic groups, even Vikings, so maybe people feel that if the stereotype is noble in some way or not totally demeaning, that it is okay. Or if it is about people they perceive to be white.

The team should do it on its own, without pressure. If they don't, then they aren't worth a crap even if they are forced to do it, they are still a bunch of ***, including the players. You can fill in the blanks. You'd think the players would have more honor than that. That's where the pressure should come from. And it doesn't, so there you have it.

Comment

I got bigger fish to fry! I don't care anything about whether sports teams use such terms. I just don't care. I'm neither flattered or unhappy. Bigger, much bigger fish to fry!

Comment

everybody keeps talking about bigger problems but nobodies sayin what those bigger problems are...what are they?????what will make you all happy talking about?

Comment

By big problems we are referring to poverty, poor education, crime, jobs, collapsing family structure, and alcohol/substance abuse. The same thing that plagues inner cities and other areas in poor socioeconomic standing.
              CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
              sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Originally posted by RestlessN8iv View Post
                Yea? Name one NDN team worth one fourth of a rat's a$$!
                Wyoming Indian Chiefs...state ball champs for several years.

Only 5teams have qualified for more Superbowls than the redskins.
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
                  Wyoming Indian Chiefs...state ball champs for several years.

Only 5teams have qualified for more Superbowls than the redskins.
                  And cowboys don't seem too upset by their characterization...

Comment

Originally posted by running_with_buffs View Post
                    everybody keeps talking about bigger problems but nobodies sayin what those bigger problems are...what are they?????what will make you all happy talking about?
                    i dont like it.......but lets just say that even though i dont like it and i will occasionally coment my displeasure on the subject.....that i simply just dont have all that much time for mascots
                    "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

And cowboys don't seem too upset by their characterization...
                      "Cowboy" is not a race. It is an occupation and a very racially diverse one, for that matter.
                      "Don't trust anyone who isn't angry."
                      - John Trudell

"Don't trust anyone who isn't hungry."
                      - Me

Comment

Most of the college and pro team mascots are relics of another century and in many cases, the mentality of some dorky white guys who were really insensitive and grew up in a vacuum. They viewed other cultures like different foods in their cafeteria tray, to like or dislike, but subordinant, there only to sustain and amuse them, and to be consumed.

Perhaps the problem is not that these old mascots exist, but that they persist and have not be updated and recreated. Why not modernize them? There is tradition, but there is also today, can the people of today not own them? Even so, mascots are what they are, a tiny piece of a much larger realm of symbols, which most of us know are representative, whether outright hateful bigotry or well-intentioned racism, and not re-presentations.

Comment

"Cowboy" is not a race. It is an occupation and a very racially diverse one, for that matter.
                          So they should be even more offended!

But they're not because they're panties aren't in a wad.

Comment

So they should be even more offended!

But they're not because they're panties aren't in a wad.
                            About a mascot? Oh, but they are
                            - John Trudell

- Me

Comment

About a mascot? Oh, but they are
                              Of course, their panties are in a wad because they are PROUD of the logo and desire to disparage others from stealing their brand.

MAJOR DIFFERENCE.

Comment

I'm sure Texas was just honoring Wyoming.
                                - John Trudell

- Me

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.