Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gilisi
    replied
    Yes, if you use it in a derogatory fashion. I'm not MalcolmX about it either, nor do I maintain any inclination to be MLK jr about it. In other words, say all you want, but at the end of the day if it comes down to potential harm of me or my loved ones I am under no obligations of martyrdom.

But political correctness?

I have met some straight up evil folk hiding behind masquerades of political correct jargon.

Show me some correct politics, then maybe politics will deserve to hang the word 'correct' behind it's name.

Leave a comment:

• Dalaa Bacho
    replied
    Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
    Is the term Redskin derogatory to you?

I have read two polls. One said only 10% of Natives think it is derogatory. Another poll says a majority of Natives think it is derogatory.

It is now being dissected in the courts, the media and around the cooler.

What is your take? Is it or isn't it a derogatory and demeaning term?
    Short Answer is NO.

I am of the opinion that the Native American Mascot deserves a place in the Americana we call Sports. Americans are very much into sports it is a way of life, A religion if you ask some. The Notion that a team and fan base would name their team something that they hated or wanted to mock or make fun of is absolutely crazy. Since the introduction of the Native American Mascot to Sports the interest in Native American Culture has sharply risen. So Native American Mascots are not bad in my opinion.

What is a Mascot? Greg Deal went on a show called Totally Biased and likened a Mascot to that of a Clown or Jester. I read a comment on Think progress where a woman likened The Redskin to an Animal Stating that " Most Sports teams are Named after Animals...." She said that was why the Native Mascot was chosen cause it was though of as an Animal... Sad... I asked WHY is it ONLY the Native American Mascot that is the Clown, or Jester or Animal and not other mascots that represent people groups like Cow Boys, Packers, 49'ers Texans, Patriots.... Why is no one saying that these groups are being disrespected and comparing them to Animals and Clowns???

I get the Feeling that people don't want to see the Native American People represented in the Sports world. I get the feeling that people are less offended by the name and more offended by the Native American....

There are a lot of claims of the origin of the word Redskin and claims of negative history behind the word. Claims of Scalp bounties and Phips Proclamations.... Sounds all official, but lacks the documentation and what is out there is ambiguous at best.
    There are a few things I take issue with this argument that REDSKIN = BLOODY SCALP... It was said that Scalp offended people back in the day so they substituted the word Scalp for REDSKIN...
    Honestly, just doesn't make sense. Remember back in the day the News papers did not have computers and laser printers... People have to build stamps for the PRESS ( this is where the Press term came from) It took time to print things so the less letters the better so swapping SCALP at 5 letters for REDSKINS at 8 letters doesn't sit with me. Point # 2 Scalp offended people but the graphic image of a bloody (RED) skin didn't?? Okay on one hand people are saying that the "RED" in RED Skin refers to skin color, but on the same token they are saying that it is bloody scalps..So which is it?

So they have this SINGLE news paper article that talks about paying 200 dollars for dead Indians and sending Redskins to purgatory... I am sure you all have seen this. #1 the Authenticity of this document is questionable at best, but Based on what I know about history and the Phips Proclamation I am willing to concede that it is "representative" of something that might have been published back then.
    So that article basically uses the Term INDIAN and REDSKIN as synonyms. i.e. Dead Indian,,, and sending Redskin to purgatory.... I mean they honestly don't think they were sending scalps to purgatory right?

This brings me to my next point. As Native Americans we all know the history and the horror stories like Wounded Knee and the Trail of Tears so we know there was a time in this country that the United States declared WAR on out people. With war comes hatred and ignorance. YES we were persecuted and hated and discriminated against. We were called everything from Savage, INDIAN, REDSKIN, even our own Tribal Names like APACHE, CROW, PAWNEE, etc etc.... These are all words that have been used against us at one time or another. There were bounties for Various People and Various Tribes so there was talk about Dead Apache and Sending Apache to hell too does that make The word Apache a Racial Slur?

So they liken the word Redskin to that of the infamous "N-word" Most people who make this claim have more than likely never been called the n-word. Key difference is that Redskin is a word that was translated from tribal language a word that this particular tribe called Natives while the n-word was created by poorly educated,ignorant white southerners who hated blacks. This word has and always will have negative connotations and hatred. It is known as the most offensive word in the English Language. Completely on a different page than Redskin.
    Then you have the argument that people use saying the word is in the Dictionary as a racial slur... I am sure you can find the words Gay and Faggot in the dictionary too... Depending on the Context they mean Cheerful and a bundle of twigs.... Redskin is no different from any other word used in the wring context it can be deemed offensive.
    Hateful and ignorant people have taken these words and many other and have perverted theme.

I choose not to surrender to hate. I will not allow hateful people and the ignorant to take from me.

and Those are my thoughts on the subject.

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• milehighsalute
    replied
    Originally posted by Zeke View Post
    Sum?

This is going nowhere.
    agreed.......and who is surprised by 4&5 when we are less than 1% of the population

Leave a comment:

• Zeke
    replied
    Originally posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
    He said the Redskins name is not on the agenda for the owners' meetings. Redskins owner Dan Snyder has vowed to keep the name, and an AP-GfK poll conducted in April found that nearly 4 in 5 Americans don't think the team should change its name.
    Sum?

This is going nowhere.

Leave a comment:

• AmigoKumeyaay
    replied
    The NFL Listening Now

Y! SPORTS

WASHINGTON (AP) — The NFL is prepared to meet with an Indian tribe pushing for the Washington Redskins to drop the team's nickname. Just not this week.

As league owners gathered Monday in the nation's capital for their fall meetings, the Oneida Indian Nation held a symposium across town to promote their "Change the Mascot" campaign. Oneida representative Ray Halbritter said the NFL was invited to attend.

Instead, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said, a meeting has been scheduled for next month — and could happen sooner.

"We respect that people have differing views," McCarthy said. "It is important that we listen to all perspectives."

He said the Redskins name is not on the agenda for the owners' meetings. Redskins owner Dan Snyder has vowed to keep the name, and an AP-GfK poll conducted in April found that nearly 4 in 5 Americans don't think the team should change its name.

It's a topic generating discussion lately, though. President Barack Obama said in an interview with The Associated Press last week that he would "think about changing" the team's name if he were the owner.

Halbritter called that statement "nothing less than historic" and said the team's nickname is "a divisive epithet ... and an outdated sign of division and hate."

Addressing the NFL, Halbritter said: "It is hypocritical to say you're America's pastime but not represent the ideals of America."

U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum, D-Minn., said the league and team are "promoting a racial slur" and "this issue is not going away."

View gallery."
    The shadow of Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, D-D.C., is cast on the backdrop during the Oneida Indian N …
    For years, a group of American Indians has tried to block the team from having federal trademark protection, and Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, the District of Columbia's envoy to Congress, predicted Monday that effort eventually will succeed.

"This name is going to go into the dustbin of history," she said.

Lanny Davis, a lawyer who said he's been advising Snyder on the name issue for "at least several months," said in a telephone interview after the symposium: "The Washington Redskins support people's feelings, but the overwhelming data is that Native Americans are not offended and only a small minority are."

Davis also said the campaign is "showing selective attention" by focusing on the Redskins and not teams such as the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs, NHL's Chicago Blackhawks, or Major League Baseball's Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves.

Earlier, Halbritter was asked about those other nicknames.

"The name of Washington's team is a dictionary-defined, offensive racial epithet. Those other names aren't," Halbritter said. "But there is a broader discussion to be had about using mascots generally."

Players for the Redskins have remained mostly silent on the topic, including star quarterback Robert Griffin III, who recently called the debate "something way above my understanding."

Some players approached in the locker room Monday avoided addressing the subject altogether.

"It's really tough. And I mean this sincerely: I get both sides of the argument," guard Chris Chester said. "I see how it can offend some people, but I feel like the context that this organization has, there's no negative connotation. You wouldn't name your team something you didn't have respect for. At least I wouldn't. I mean, I understand, too, that it offends some people, so I sympathize with both sides."

Leave a comment:

• milehighsalute
    replied
    i also see that sometimes some indian cultures PROMOTE their own warrior culture....brag about it, write about it, basically tell anyone who will listen.....i aint blaming them but is it really a surprise when someone names themselves "the fighting sioux" or the "apache raiders" or the " savage scalpers" or something?

Leave a comment:

• cris_neva
    replied
    Just posting...I don't agree or disagree

Vid of President Obama: Redskins name offends a sizable group of people

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/A9uqmh0dquw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

President Obama: Redskins name offends a sizable group of people

Leave a comment:

• milehighsalute
    replied
    Deadspin: 'Full-Blooded Chief' Redskins Defender Not a Chief! - ICTMN.com

Leave a comment:

• RestlessN8iv
    replied
    I'm sure Texas was just honoring Wyoming.

Leave a comment:

• Zeke
    replied
    Originally posted by RestlessN8iv View Post
    About a mascot? Oh, but they are
    Of course, their panties are in a wad because they are PROUD of the logo and desire to disparage others from stealing their brand.

MAJOR DIFFERENCE.

Leave a comment:

• RestlessN8iv
    replied
    So they should be even more offended!

But they're not because they're panties aren't in a wad.
    About a mascot? Oh, but they are

Leave a comment:

• Zeke
    replied
    Originally posted by RestlessN8iv View Post
    "Cowboy" is not a race. It is an occupation and a very racially diverse one, for that matter.
    So they should be even more offended!

But they're not because they're panties aren't in a wad.

Leave a comment:

• muskrat_skull
    replied
    Most of the college and pro team mascots are relics of another century and in many cases, the mentality of some dorky white guys who were really insensitive and grew up in a vacuum. They viewed other cultures like different foods in their cafeteria tray, to like or dislike, but subordinant, there only to sustain and amuse them, and to be consumed.

Perhaps the problem is not that these old mascots exist, but that they persist and have not be updated and recreated. Why not modernize them? There is tradition, but there is also today, can the people of today not own them? Even so, mascots are what they are, a tiny piece of a much larger realm of symbols, which most of us know are representative, whether outright hateful bigotry or well-intentioned racism, and not re-presentations.

Leave a comment:

• RestlessN8iv
    replied
    And cowboys don't seem too upset by their characterization...
    "Cowboy" is not a race. It is an occupation and a very racially diverse one, for that matter.

Leave a comment:

• milehighsalute
    replied
    Originally posted by running_with_buffs View Post
    everybody keeps talking about bigger problems but nobodies sayin what those bigger problems are...what are they?????what will make you all happy talking about?
    i dont like it.......but lets just say that even though i dont like it and i will occasionally coment my displeasure on the subject.....that i simply just dont have all that much time for mascots

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.