Baby Moccasins....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Moccasins....

Are newborn moccasins that are beaded on the soles considered ceremonial or 'death' moccasins? Specifically from the Pueblo Nations. Or there's no significance? Can anyone answer this for me?

I have both bead and a quilled pair.
    -Don't hate me because I'm
    wise beyond my years-

Comment

ummm, okaaaaayyyyy

Huh? What does that have to do with my question?

Comment

Geez....Easy easy......

Touchy Taani....:p ;)
        "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Shush up Coyot!!! LOL love ya

I'm just saying...I just asked a question and the reply wasn't to the question asked. Get it? If you do let me know what it means! :Eyepopper

Comment

When I see Tobacco I'll Talk....

AYYYYYY!:p

I'll tell ya when I see ya.....Are ya coming to the Social?
            "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Not going to the Social :( and I'm gonna miss Sandi and Bill's wedding this w/e too!!! Going to the PA PowWow and gonna see Crow.

Okay now back to my question??!!? Anyone? Anyone?

Comment

Heard Midnite ain't going...?

Can't say it's a Fact, but I heard it thru Moccasin Telegraph....Don't tell me YO MAN! was recruited by Dunc to sing ova dare...?
                Last edited by Coyot_In_The_House; 11-06-2003, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Who?

ummm, Who? and no he wasn't recruited. Actually we haven't spoken to him in a while. Just figured he'd be there since Midnite's Host. Trying to have a fun relaxing w/e away from court battles with Monster, ShyGirl, and my apt.

Comment

I was under the impression theat the pueblos did not bead their
                    moccasins. They wore the kind that fastened up the side with
                    silver "concha" buttons; same style as the Navahos, except that
                    come of the pueblos dyed theirs white, rather than rust brown.
                    alamosaurus

Comment

They don't normally bead their mocs but if they did would it be considered ceremonial or burial mocs? or no signficance?

Comment

I'm from the plains and I was told that beaded moc soles are considered death mocs. But like I said..that's just what I was told.
                        >:< ~~ >:<

Comment

Originally posted by taani
                          They don't normally bead their mocs but if they did would it be considered ceremonial or burial mocs? or no signficance?
                          The Taos Pueblo people DO bead their moccasins. But this is only because of their trading relationships with the plains tribes during their age old Taos Rondezvous.

Several pueblo individuals have adopted beading. . . But this is not their tradition. I think this is what you may be asking (in a really odd sort of way).

If a pueblo person beaded the bottom of moccasins would it have significance? Other than personal or *requested significance, I don't think so.

(*requested significance: If a northern plains Indian specifically requested a pueblo beader to bead them moccasins with beaded soles - to be used to bury someone in.)

Also remember there were over 120 pueblo villages at one time that were decendents of the 19 modern pueblos.
                          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Question by TAANI
                            "Baby Moccasins.... 11-06-2003 09:59 AM
                            Are newborn moccasins that are beaded on the soles considered ceremonial or 'death' moccasins? Specifically from the Pueblo Nations. Or there's no significance? Can anyone answer this for me?"

Originally posted by ms. jingler
                            I'm from the plains and I was told that beaded moc soles are considered death mocs. But like I said..that's just what I was told.
                            I never saw this thread before so sorry if I'm a bit late. I spoke to a Lakota Curator of the National Museum of the American Indian about mocassins beaded on the soles and he replied that not all mocs were used for burials. He said that sometimes they are made for people that you really love and you want to honor them. The example he used was "like when you really love your child and you want them to look their best at all times so you dress them up really good and maybe you would carry them so they wouldn't have to walk, thereby showing the soles of the mocs or if you adopt someone into your family, to show your love for that person, you might bead them mocs like this."
                            I hope this has helped. :)
                            Last edited by Kakeeya; 12-11-2003, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I'm from the Plains, and i was told that beaded soles on moccasins were considered death moccasins. But not sure bout the pueblos.
                              yeah, yeah, yeah...

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• OLChemist
                                Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                                by OLChemist
                                *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                                06-21-2021, 01:08 PM
                              • NahimanaSung
                                Hosting young girl in rez
                                by NahimanaSung
                                Hey!

I'm half Lakota/Dakota native american, currently living in France. I'm 18 years old, and at a point in my life where I really feel the need to explore my ancestry and learn more about my culture.

I don't know if this is the appropriate forum or way to ask,...
                                03-07-2016, 09:56 AM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X