No announcement yet.

Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I have to employ a real Chuy for Rose and her Food wishes.
    We do what we can.

Birds watching, that is good. Yesterday we had half a dozen tits swirling among the brushes in the front yard. And of course the always present crows and ravens though they are more on the fields now.

I went to bed early and I am still sleepy in the morning. It is dark when your rise and it is dark when you go to bed.
    And we are closing on the 0°C temperature.

Coffee was hot and the Sunday egg just right.

Another great book would be Radiation and Scattering of Waves by Leopold Belmond Felson and Nathan Marcuwitz. No book for non math nerds.
    Last edited by Broken Arrow; 10-17-2021, 02:36 AM.
    Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
    Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
    Show me, and I will understand.
    Involve me, and I will learn.”
    Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.
    Living one day at a time,
    Enjoying one moment at a time,
    Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
    (Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)

Comment

• Well, since nothing else is going on, I'll keep torturing people with the places I'd send BA if he had a year in the US. (I've already emailed him northern NM and AZ, and SD, NE, WY, and MT.)

Once you'r out of the Salt River Canyon on US 60 you'll end up in Globe. Stop at the Besh-Ba-Gowah Archeological Park and Museum.

https://www.globeaz.gov/besh-ba-gowa...ark-and-museum

You can eat at my cousin's favorite restaurant, Irene's. The chicken and green chili chimichanga is good. After lunch, head toward Tucson on US 70/AZ7. Before taking AZ 77 into Tucson, keep on US 70 and head into the San Carlos rez. Just over the border is bead shop -- Beaded Edge Supply -- that I stopped at on my trip out there in Oct 2019. (A lady at Irene's told me about when she heard my cousin and I talking about beads. )

https://www.coppercountrynews.com/article/beaded-edge-supply-celebrates-expansion-with-grand-re-opening
      Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/beadededgesupply/

After you've stocked up on beads, hides and all, head down AZ 77 into Tucson. Once you get south of Oracle Junction you'll start to see those icons of the "Wild West" of the wild west of the imagination, the saguaro cactus (Carnegiea gigantea). To really them you need to go to Safuaro National Park

https://www.nps.gov/sagu/index.htm

These cacti are amazing. They grow only in parts of the Sonora desert in AZ and Mexico. They sink a large deep tap root into the earth and draw up water to saturate a spongy interior. At the height of the monsoon season, they can weight up to 90lb a foot. They flower in late spring and are pollinated by bees and bats. The Native peoples of the area harvested the red fruits using long hooked poles. The Tohono O'odham make syrup, jam and a wine used in ceremony from the fruits, and the seeds are processed into meal and oil. The woody ribs of dead cacti were used for construction in the wood poor area.

https://www.nps.gov/sagu/learn/histo...vest-Brief.pdf

After that head over to the Sonora Desert Museum. Just don't take me with you. I've been there twice and both times I've driven up the mountain in blinding rain storms. (I'm the desert rain magnet. When I went to Idyllwild in 2015, they were having a drought. It starting sprinkling when we hit Desert Center on I-10. A day later, the bridge on I-10 over Tex Wash was washed out by flood waters.)

https://www.desertmuseum.org

Then stop at Old Tucson. Old Tucson is a film studio and theme park. If you grew up watching exported American movie and TV westerns, you've seen Old Tucson (Movies and TV filmed at Old Tucson). Although what you see today will bear no resemblance to the movies and TV of old. In 1995, Old Tucson was heavily damaged by a fire started by a serial arsonist.
      Last edited by OLChemist; 10-17-2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Since I'm still waiting on my grocery delivery, I'll keep torturing ya'll.

Now BA, after you poke around Tucson, I'd send you east on I-10 to Benson, where you turn off on AZ 80 to Tombstone. Here you can almost choke to death on the thick "Old West" ambiance. It is a total tourist trap. In my opinion, it's every bit as bad as Deadwood, SD. But, I don't have much romance for that era of history. But my Dad grew up on 1940's Saturday matinees and loved all those 1950's and 1960's westerns. He had a ball pretending he was John Wayne.

Then head down the Tombstone Canyon into Bisbee. Bisbee is a copper mining town, which sounds completely unappealing. But it has rebranded itself as a day trip destination. The architecture is pretty and the canyon is lovely. The downtown has galleries, craft breweries, eateries and antique stores. Hit the Bisbee Mining Museum. Walk around and window shop.

The Phelps Dodge mining company used to take the turquoise that the got while mining copper and dumped it in the tailings piles. This turquoise was often smuggled out of the dumps by employees and made its way on to the market. In the early 1970's, Phelps Dodge granted mining rights and a couple thousand pounds of Bisbee Blue went on into jewelry and the stashes of various lapidaries. Some decades ago, Phelps Dodge declared the turquoise played out and covered the tailings piles with many feet of dirt and rock, in part to discourage casual prospecting.

After a nice day in Bisbee, head out early in the morning back up to I-10 and east into Las Cruces.

Comment

• Chuy, my breakfast was totally unsatisfying. Please surprise me.

Comment

• Some of the Movies have been exported to Germany. :) 3:10 Yuma, Bonnaza, El Dorado, Gunfight at the OK Corral, High Chaparral.

Saguaro, I like them. They look great but question is, if they will grow anywhere else.

There beads to have which ARE hard to get at home if at all. The buckskin cleaner is sold out.
            Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
            Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• Well, tomorrow morning we will have coffee, milk and sugar if you wish.
              Irish butter, Buns, White bread, crisp bread.
              Pepper salami, smoked ,eat, smoked tea sausage, Blueberry jam of different maker, Honey.
              Eggs are available too. Hard and soft cooked as you wish.

If you decide to get up early, I load you in my car. I am driving to the black forest as Mom wishes and I would make a detour drive for you to https://www.schinken-wein.de/sortiment. Mom wants to visit https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummel...ummelsee01.jpg.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
                Since I'm still waiting on my grocery delivery, I'll keep torturing ya'll.
                They should resort to delivery by drone. But be aware that you are not bombed with grocery deliveries.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• Originally posted by Broken Arrow View Post
                  Saguaro, I like them. They look great but question is, if they will grow anywhere else.
                  They only grow below 4000ft elevation in that part of the Sonora desert. Southern AZ -- Phoenix and south, at lower elevations. And a little strip into northern Mexico.

Click image for larger version  Name:	map.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.4 KB ID:	3930454

Comment

• Originally posted by Broken Arrow View Post
                    If you decide to get up early, I load you in my car. I am driving to the black forest as Mom wishes and I would make a detour drive for you to https://www.schinken-wein.de/sortiment. Mom wants to visit https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummel...ummelsee01.jpg.
                    Watch out for the nixie.

You'd find the mountains around Show Low and Snowflake familiar. A nice Alpine climate.

Comment

• Well I'll watch out for the nixie. I think I walk around the lake. It is flat and not so long forest path and Mom should get along. At lest that is one of the things she wants to do.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• Oh, I forgot! While you're in Tucson you need to go to San Xavier Del Bac Mission on the Tohono O'odham rez. It is beautiful.

Comment

• Can an outsider get a couple of burritos or do I have to sit thru the travel program to eat ?
                          Last edited by wardancer; 10-18-2021, 12:12 AM. Reason: can't spell !
                          I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
                          It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• I think you can have your buritos but have to sit through the travel program.

Perhaps you can make a contribution to the travel program and become an insider.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
                              Oh, I forgot! While you're in Tucson you need to go to San Xavier Del Bac Mission on the Tohono O'odham rez. It is beautiful.
                              You can also stop in Superior, Az. for a peek at the Apache Tears, (aka obsidian) Mine. This is one of my favorite gemstones, and I have been fascinated by the legend since I was a little kid. https://the-earth-story.com/post/137...ll-have-likely

It's finally fall here. I dug out the long sleeved, winter stuff today. Somebody needs to tell the mosquitoes, though. They are still out in force.
                              Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

• Originally posted by subeeds View Post

It's finally fall here. I dug out the long sleeved, winter stuff today. Somebody needs to tell the mosquitoes, though. They are still out in force.
                                Seems as if the mosquitos have heard nowhere that winter is approaching.

Nice stones, sorry history. Sigh.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.