No announcement yet.

Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the travel log. Be glad I don't have slides to show ya'll :)

In Las Cruces, you need to visit Old Messilla. Get some local pistachios at Eagle Ranch. If you're there at the right time of the week, go to the downtown farmer's and craft market.

Take US70 east through the pass between the San Andreas and Organ Mountains. You're heading into the Tularosa Basin. This area played and continues to play a significant role in the US military and civilian space effort. Stop at the White Sands Missile Range Museum. They have a large number of military and research rockets, including one of the V2's brought to the States after the end of WWII.

Head up to White Sands National Park. This landscape of sparkling white sand dunes might be familiar from American movies and TV. The dunes are formed of gypsum crystals formed when periodic flooding and subsequent evaporation form deposits of crystals, which are broken by freeze thaw cycles and blown over into the valley.

(Bathe in sunscreen. Heading out on to that sand is like standing on a mirror in full sun. You will sunburn places you never knew you had.)

Apache people lived and travelled through the Tularosa basin. They gathered salt at lake near the southern end of malpais (lava flow) near Oscura.

In Alamagordo, stop at the New Mexico Space History Museum.

Comment

• Subs, obsidian is very interesting. At the club we use it a lot for beginning lap classes. It can be cheap. It also tends to be be free of cracks and other weirdness that can make a stone hard to shape and polish. It takes a high polish well. It's very easy to see if you didn't get all the scratches from the last round of abrasive out.

If cristobalite crystals form you get the white snowflakes. Iron and magnesium give the brown color seen in mahogany obsidian. Oriented gas bubbles cause the gold and blue sheens. And magnetite nano-particles create the rainbow obsidian.

Click image for larger version

Name:	genuineobsidian.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	3930505

Comment

• WD wakes up and looks around............can I get some coffee..........is the show still on ?
        I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
        It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• Hey WD, yes you can as much as you wish. And the shows are still on.

The Fire Stone looks fine. I only know those very black obsidian ones as arrow tips.
          Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
          Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
          Show me, and I will understand.
          Involve me, and I will learn.”
          Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
          Courage to change the things I can,
          And wisdom to know the difference.
          Living one day at a time,
          Enjoying one moment at a time,
          Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
          (Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)

Comment

• Chuy, migas and iced tea, please.

I'm doomed. I got into the halloween candy. Thankfully, the stuff for the treat bags is locked up in the server room at work. But, I'm going to have to replace one bag of the stuff at the house for trick or treat. The pickings in the stores are awfully thin already. It's going to be that Tootsie Roll mix I think.
            Last edited by OLChemist; 10-23-2021, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Big ? Tootsie Roll mix.

But I believe all will love your bags.
              Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
              Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• The stuff I'm referring to is a mix of big and little Tootsie Rolls (a chewy, chocolate taffy like candy), fruit chews (taffy), Dots (jelly candy) and Tootsie Pops (lollypops with a Tootsie Roll center). It's one of the cheaper Halloween candy mixes.

Tootsie Rolls were a popular candy with the kids of the 1930's and 1940's. They were the first individually wrapped candy on the US market. They survive heat and were used in WWII and Korean War field rations. They are one of my mother's favorite candies. But by the time I was a kid, Tootsie Rolls were considered an inferior treat. Real chocolate bars were the premium score, LOL.

We did not buy halloween costumes in my family. Mom sewed from the rag bag or using leftover fabric. Her favorite halloween costume was the tube -- a drawstring at the neck (and sometimes the bottom) and two slits for the arms. In orange, stuffed with newspaper, an old green pillow case with eye holes over the head and I was a pumpkin. Black with a painted cardboard box over my head and shoulders, two stuffed birds from the Christmas ornament box and I was a bird house. The best part of the tube was a 5th grader could sew one and mom could get out of the costume game.

My first solo effort was a brown tube made from an old brown sheet, hung from a circle of cardboard around my neck, with some letters painted on the sheet, and ruffle of butcher paper around my neck. I was a Tootsie Roll. Unfortunately, my outfit prompted people to go out of their way to give me Tootsie Rolls, LOL.
                Last edited by OLChemist; 10-23-2021, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Not many kids in our little town ! We used to go all out and a coupla years in a row got stuck with big bags of candy we won't eat , so we quit ! Now we turn all the lights off and stay in the back of the house. It works , and we don't get anyone anymore !
                  I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
                  It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• Since our neighborhood has gentrified, they're bussing in kids from OKC and Little Rock, I think. Last time I handed out candy, 2019, I went through three 250 piece bags and ran out before 7:30pm. I recognized fewer than 10 kids as being from our neighborhood.

Last year, I handed out bags of treats to the kids of our employees at work. I was going to hide this year and not hand out anything at the house this year and still may. But, I did buy a few bags for home, just in case.

Comment

• Not much kids coming around and Halloween isn't traditional as in the English speaking world.

May be I am wrong but I have had always the impression that it is a much advertised event for marketing and selling on just another occasion. I think we stay with more our traditions but well, other may think otherwise.

My country is no longer the country of my childhood.

Much in the times of my youth wasn't right but much of nowadays isn't better than the old times and in my eyes a lot is worse.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• My TV just started speaking Lakota at me! Apparently, Gap has decided Lakota is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yUreL8J320

Comment

• When I was a kid, Halloween was one of the top holidays. A lot of it was the costumes. Some of it was roaming around at night. Some of it was candy. Some of it was that everyone in the neighborhood participated.

Comment

• St Martin's day was it in my youth until Halloween has taken it's toll.
                            The lantern making and the St. Martin procession with bands playing and the children singing.
                            And the candy bag.

It is a very long time ago.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• St Martin's Day is not a big holiday in the States. Being a Protestant majority country few Saint's day holidays have gone mainstream. Pretty much the only vestiges you'll find are church services, the occasional recipe for Martin's goose and the pastries for sale in Polish bakeries.

Hey do you folks make marcinki? Sorry, I only know the Polish name. For the uninitiated, they are a crescent shaped pastry filled with a poppy seed, almond and raisin filling, with a vanilla glaze. Our next door neighbor made them. But unlike her pierogis, I never learned to make them.

Eat some goose, dumplings and red cabbage for us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8609.jpg?fit=1200%2C800&ssl=1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	3930664
                              Last edited by OLChemist; 10-24-2021, 10:51 AM. Reason: Added picture

Comment

• All of my two doors down neighbor's cats are lined up staring through the TV room window. I think their owner is sleeping in and they're hungry. Jet hasn't joined the fray yet.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.