Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLChemist
    replied
    Yikes, I just looked across the street and Jet is peeking over the edge of the basket of a parked aerial truck! The linemen are eating lunch and he is waiting for handouts or dropage

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Hey WD, do they have beechnuts in OK? I haven't seen them in this part of TX. Back east, where my great uncle hunted, they were very common. The nuts would be all over the ground by now. The turkey, bears and deer would be having a feast day

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Have a candle, matches and a flashlight at hand.
    I pray that it does not take long.

I am getting hungry for turkey though it is late but not to late. Outside it is black as night.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Wild turkey is good eats, especially if they've been eating beechnuts and acorns. My great uncle rubbed his with salt and fresh ground pepper, and cooked it covered with some water in the roaster to keep it moist. He made a bouquet garni with thyme, parsley, bay leaves, garlic cloves, juniper berries, and whole cloves that he put in the water. He also put some thyme springs and cored and quartered Granny Smith apples in the body cavity while roasting.

I'm not optimistic. The electric distribution company has been holding a cherry picker convention in the alley across the street. They've got all the lines covered with guards. It looks like they're getting ready to move the transformer and lines to the new poles they put up in the spring. I bet my power is going to go out in short order. I'm not sure how much they're going to get done. The sky is starting to look threatening.

Leave a comment:

• wardancer
    replied
    Glad to be home ! Was a good trip ! It seems as a hunter I've become the teacher and the next generation of hunters are my students ! Walked many mile with my daughter and saw some really cool stuff , although we didn't kill anything I did instruct a nephew on how to field dress and then process a nice little buck ! Had a huge Bobcat walk to within 15 yards of us before he smelled us , and that was amazing to watch. Saw some turkeys doing their little rituals with a big old Tom , who later gave himself to one of the other nephews. I did shoot a coyote as there are so many of them. All in all it was a good 5 days !

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Chuy, can you do something in a cat friendly breakfast burrito -- maybe tuna, mouse and egg, lol.

Jet is sitting on the tailgate of Dave's truck sharing another breakfast burrito. He pushed his dish over to the other side of the porch, away from the cat house of horrors. But, Purina One must pale in comparison to chorizo and egg with extra cheese and jalapenos.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Cremini, please.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Semmelknödel no problem, we have enough for you. Mushroom sauce alright but what mushrooms do you want?

You better ask for those which I can get at the shop. Please don't send me to collect mushrooms by myself. I might collect the wrong ones. Well at least I will not pick up Fliegenpilz but else I don't trust me.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Chuy, semmelknoedel with mushroom sauce.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    A couple days ago, there was frost on the roofs, but the air temp was well above freezing. There was a hard freeze warning for the counties to the east of us. My neighbors covered the planters on their porch. Jet was hiding under them and pouncing on blowing leaves like a kitten. First day with blowing leaves and he forgets his gray hair, lol.

I bought him a new heated cat shelter. I figured he might use one if it didn't smell like the opossum, that took a liking to it last winter, or Blondie, a neighbor's cat. It is washable, has insulated walls, and a heated pad -- deluxe. Yesterday, I set it up next to his dish. He reacted like I had placed a baited cat trap on the porch. He went across the street to share a breakfast burrito with Dave the contractor, and let Blondie, Picasso, Libby, and The Nun -- aka the Meow Mob -- eat his cat food.

All the cats are confused by the time change. The Meow Mob must have come to the door at 6am CDT, because when I filled Jet's bowl at 6am CST, I didn't have four cats -- that I don't own -- swarming into the living room when I opened the front door.
    Last edited by OLChemist; 11-08-2021, 06:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    May be they learn now.

Rain, wind and cold. No storm but there are falling branches of the trees. Not so good if you are parking your car under there.
    It is autumn I have heard..

Leave a comment:

• subeeds
    replied
    Safe travels, WD.

We have had a wild 48 hours weather wise. we've been under gale warnings and flood warnings. The flood warnings because the wind is coming in off the ocean (from the north east), and pushing all the rivers inland, and in some cases over their banks. Not to mention the 3-5 inches of rain that's fallen. There's a low pressure system that has spun up off the coast, and it's giving us the strong winds. It's blown 3 sailboats into the Bridge of Lions, and 1 into the sea wall on the bayfront in St. Augustine. Fortunately, nobody was hurt and only one of the boats was occupied. Apparently, these boat owners need to learn how to tie their boats down better.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Stay safe.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Have a safe trip.

Leave a comment:

• wardancer
    replied
    Oklahoma is calling , I may not be around for a few ! Everyone stay safe and healthy ! shhhhhh.....don't tell anyone !

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.