No announcement yet.

Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, we ended 2021 with a final freak occurrence. We had a 100 car pile up, winter storm Uri and widespread blackouts, two hurricanes, our usual tornados, 6" hail stones, and now.... fish rain! Yes, fish fell from the skies in Texarkana on 12/30.

Comment

• Stay safe and be healthy. We may get 4°C on Wednesday. Rain is announced and may be thunderstorm this afternoon. Unusual.

Tornado sucked up a water pit with all the fish?

Who knows what will be. The new year than is starting odd.
      Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
      Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
      Show me, and I will understand.
      Involve me, and I will learn.”
      Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      And wisdom to know the difference.
      Living one day at a time,
      Enjoying one moment at a time,
      Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
      (Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)

Comment

• It's kinda nice to know we aren't the only ones having odd weather. We set records last week and this week for high temps-over 83 a couple of days. The polar bear plunge was a bit of a cheat this year. The air temp in the morning was close to 72, and the water temp was about 68. Atlanta canceled the peach drop and Miami canceled the orange drop, but closer to home, at least for us, Fernandina Beach had the shrimp drop. They do it early so people can dash to overcrowded Jacksonville to see the fireworks at midnight.

OLC, did Jet come home? That cold front is headed our way, along with the rain. It's supposed to arrive in about 20 hours, and drop the temps about 20 degrees. Our high Monday will be lucky to hit 55. I remember seeing it rain fish once-mullet as a matter of fact. A water spout hit land and dropped a bunch of fish on the beach. If it had stayed over water the fish probably would have survived.

I'm glad this is the last of the holiday weekends. Working with the traveling public when they've been sitting in traffic for hours isn't pleasant-they aren't pleasant I should say. People act like it's my fault they decided to travel over a mind blowing busy time. Last weekend, people were very lucky I wasn't armed because a couple of them might have ended up wounded. Nah, just kidding. I did want to smack a few, though. LOL!
        Light up Amelia and the City of Fernandina Beach will once again host the annual New Year’s Eve shrimp drop at 7pm
        Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

• Jet, didn't come home for the night and didn't show up at Dave's, but he was at the door for breakfast this morning. At the moment he's across the street, sitting on the hood of Dave's truck, waiting for treats.

He has to have some place he shelters. Maybe the garage at the house where he was born. One of my next door neighbor's cats was dozing on the heated mat in the shelter, waiting for me to come out of fill the food bowl.

He's calmer in the cat carrier on the way to the vet, then he is in my house. He's calmer boarding with the vet. When he was much younger, I tried to close him in during a terrible thunderstorm. He went nuts, throwing himself against the windows, walls and door, until I let him out. (It was a prelude to the time he broke the guest room window.) Through the pelting rain, I had a single glimpse of him, illuminated by lightening, as he ran up the neighbor's driveway.

We had record highs last week -- upper 70's and low 80's. It was 18F this morning at Carswell. ERCOT reports around 7,100 MW of spun up reserve capacity for the Texas grid. We're good if nothing major goes south. But it's a holiday weekend. It's going to be around 20F tomorrow morning and all the businesses will be reopening.... Before last Feb, I never worried about this.

Subs, stories like that make me glad I'm not in customer service. I don't have your patience.

WD, you guys frozen up there?

BA, keep dry and warm.
          Last edited by OLChemist; 01-02-2022, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• Well , we got up this morning to a balmy 7 degrees F with a feels like temp of -6 ! Horse don't seem to mind it much , although they have their own private rodeo on mornings like this ! The dogs like it for about an hour and they're ready to come back in ! We go out just long enough for chores , period ! Getting to old for this stuff !
            I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
            It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• Do not know whta the weather guys are up to. 14°C and no rain and no thunder and lightning in my area. Good for Mom and me on visiting the grave in the forest though the way into the forest is mud and plastered with horse dropings.

Made round trip through Kevelaer and than back home. It was good to do so.
              Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
              Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• BA, 57F, I'm jealous. We just went above 26F; I can turn off all the dripping facets. I closed the drapes last night and all covered windows iced up on the inside. It is starting to melt off. My TV room is super cold this morning. Got to love the historic area codes that forbid adding storm windows if the house didn't have them in 1914, lol.

I may crawl back in bed for a while. Like I said, I think I'm still freaked out by last Feb's single digit temps and power outages. I've been through thirty or so 15F-20F nights without problems in the 20 years I've been in this house. But, I kept waking up every two hours and wandering around to check all the pipes, lol.

Jet's on the window sill scratching for a second breakfast. I guess he's feeling 11-ish, lol. Takes a lot of calories to run around in sub-freezing weather.

Comment

• Isn't it a bit late for second breakfast? Shouldn't it be time for a first lunch?
                  Yeah, to stay warm you need lots of calories in subzero (Celsius) temperatures.

That's the problem with historic houses and those building regulations for listed buildings. I believe you would not like our regulations too.

BIA might by delighted by German regulations of fall sort. I am still asking myself if they have copied half their regulations from German sources though the seems to have gathered everywhere to find the most tormenting regulations and invented some of themself.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
                    BA, 57F, I'm jealous. We just went above 26F; I can turn off all the dripping facets. I closed the drapes last night and all covered windows iced up on the inside. It is starting to melt off. My TV room is super cold this morning. Got to love the historic area codes that forbid adding storm windows if the house didn't have them in 1914, lol.

I may crawl back in bed for a while. Like I said, I think I'm still freaked out by last Feb's single digit temps and power outages. I've been through thirty or so 15F-20F nights without problems in the 20 years I've been in this house. But, I kept waking up every two hours and wandering around to check all the pipes, lol.

Jet's on the window sill scratching for a second breakfast. I guess he's feeling 11-ish, lol. Takes a lot of calories to run around in sub-freezing weather.
                    When we are going to have a hard freeze, we leave the bathroom sink faucet dripping. Hubby is in charge of turning them off. Several winters ago, it was cold, but the sun was out, and it looked warm. It was around 9AM, so I turned the faucets off. Dripping faucets make me crazy! It was too cold for the hubs to work that day, so it's a good thing he was home. About an hour after I turned the faucets off, they were nearly frozen again, but he was able to thaw them out with his propane torch. He now leaves a note on the faucets when they are dripping, telling me not to turn the water off. LOL!

The wind is really picking up, and we are now under a tornado watch. It hasn't started raining yet, but according to the radar, it's close. I can feel that the temps have started dropping. We were watching the news this evening, and had the front and back doors open. There was such a nice breeze blowing, and the temps were around 80. Hard to imagine for January.
                    Last edited by subeeds; 01-03-2022, 01:16 AM.
                    Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

• In the night we had the predicted rain only some hours later than announced.

And their was lightning in the sky. I pulled the bedspread over my head to hide.
                      Subeeds I hope you don't freeze your faucets or worse water pipes.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• Chuy, I'll take some blue corn meal mush with carne adovada and a fired egg on top, please.

Today,I have zoom meetings before lunch, during lunch, after lunch, and during diner. Dang time zones. I need a hearty breakfast.

How's everyone else? Get those Jan deer yet, WD?

Comment

• Blue corn meal mush with cam adovada and fired egg? Hahm, I might do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5VcQGaf2KI

Els
                          e a hearty breakfast, you can take whatever you want we have in storage. For example https://d7i2h9q3.rocketcdn.me/rezept...reuen.jpg.webp

LOL,
                          suppose you'd have a online meeting over here. You have breakfast, we have dinner.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• More like this: https://thefancynavajo.com/2020/07/1...n-mush-recipe/

I should have fried that egg, rather than firing it, LOL.

Comment

• Fired egg "gefeuertes Ei", hm burned egg, dismissed egg or shot egg? I suggest cooked egg. Burned neither smells good nor does it taste. Diemissed woult be a gone egg and shot egg gives you may be lead shotgun pellets as heavy metal supplement.

I need to lose weight and now I am hungry. I looked at your recipe.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

• Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
                                Get those Jan deer yet, WD?
                                Not yet ! Was going to hunt Tuesday but the neighbor that wants the deer , wasn't going to be home. It was miserably cold and icy on the 1 & 2 and I had to go to town on Monday. I'm to the point that I have no wish to process a deer for someone else , especially in sub zero temps(forecast for Thursday and Friday ). It looks like Saturday and Sunday will be the best , so our daughter is coming up to hunt with me on the weekend. I still have 3 tags I can fill.She wants me to try out her new rifle !
                                Last edited by wardancer; 01-05-2022, 02:06 PM. Reason: can't spell
                                I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
                                It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.