No announcement yet.

Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever had something you did to be polite come back up to haunt you?

When I was in high school I had a really cool next door neighbor. She was a chemistry professor at a local college and had fled communist Poland right after finishing her university degree. She was an extremely interesting person and also a fantastic cook. She became my mom's best friend. I spent hours in her kitchen listening to her tell stories and learning to make strucla orzechami (nut roll), makowiec (poppy seed roll), kolaczki (jam cookies), khruchiki (angel wing cookies), meat stuffed potato pancakes and perogies.

One Christmas Eve she invited us over for a traditional Christmas eve dinner. I was really excited, especially since I had helped make the sauerkraut and mushroom perogies waiting in her freezer for the night. What I had missed in all the years in her kitchen was the important role of pickled herring in Polish cuisine.

In the course of this huge meal, featuring 12 dishes, a dish of pickled herring mixed with chopped tart apple, onion, and dill pickle in a sour cream dish was placed in front of me. I like most fish, unless it has experienced pickling and/or canning. I loathe pickled herring, the canned sardines my father ate ever Saturday lunch on rye crackers, canned salmon, anchovies, pretty much the lot except canned tuna in water. However, I was a guest. I was polite and ate it -- all of it.

For the past two weeks my mother has been making a big deal about a package she send me for Easter. It was a heavy, medium fixed rate box. I was told not to open it until Easter Sunday. She kept dropping hints about how I would enjoy the contents and how I would have a special snack to eat every day after Easter.

I'm sure you all have connected the dots at this point. I, however, had forgotten that pickled herring salad, consumed during the Carter administration. With enough apparent enthusiasm that it was indelibly burned into my mother's memory. So, I was taken completely by surprise when I opened a box of six carefully wrapped tins of sardines in olive oil, a packet of anchovies and a jar of pickled herring in cream sauce.

WD may have had the Easter bunny. I seem to have had the Easter dolphin.

Comment

• Happy meal.

A little rabbit has crossed the street into the fields.
      Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
      Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
      Show me, and I will understand.
      Involve me, and I will learn.”
      Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      And wisdom to know the difference.
      Living one day at a time,
      Enjoying one moment at a time,
      Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
      (Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)

Comment

• Storms storms storms ! What breakfast goes with severe thunderstorms ? I'll have that and coffee ! So far nothing tornadic , but they say it could happen ! It will arrive in the middle of the night (of course) ! Ugh......I love spring !
        I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
        It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• Yikes, the intertribal at GON is proving there are always non-Indians who can't be taken anywhere. Shessh. None of the Indian ladies are shaking their hips and rumps at anyone. Why would you as a non-Indian woman in an Indian space get on the floor and start dancing like you're in a night club?

Comment

• https://youtu.be/b1tPKa7KE8A

My nephew lookin keen ! Maroon shirt just right of center.
            Last edited by wardancer; 04-30-2022, 02:51 PM.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
              Yikes, the intertribal at GON is proving there are always non-Indians who can't be taken anywhere. Shessh. None of the Indian ladies are shaking their hips and rumps at anyone. Why would you as a non-Indian woman in an Indian space get on the floor and start dancing like you're in a night club?
              Why you didn't post a link ??? LOL

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• LOL. It was on the live stream.

WD, since you're on here I trust the rough stuff stayed west of ya'll.

Comment

• Originally posted by wardancer View Post
                  https://youtu.be/b1tPKa7KE8A

My nephew lookin keen ! Maroon shirt just right of center.
                  Good song!

Comment

• Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
                    LOL. It was on the live stream.

WD, since you're on here I trust the rough stuff stayed west of ya'll.
                    As usual , the storms were headed right at us and at the last minute they broke up and went right by on both sides of us ! I thought for sure we were getting hammered ! Of course this house is full of eagle feathers , that might have something to do with it !

Was that after Grand Entry ? Or was it after the day was done ? Did you see the lady with the flower covered staff ?

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• It was after grand entry. The camera caught her for a minute, then they cut away.

I missed the flower covered staff. Was that late last night? I crashed a burned around 11:30pm CDT.

Comment

• Just after the 5 minute mark !
                        https://youtu.be/PXZ_YEr-cpY

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• Oh my heavens. What on earth is she wearing? There are things flapping around on her skirt. I think she’s trying for Druid traditional wear. But the vibe to me is DnD cosplay.

WD do you remember the year we met up at Austin ISD powwow? There were some odd outfits at that one. Remember the two guys daubed in mud and wearing crowns of some kind of leaves? The ones that got me were the couple wearing meticulous reproductions of Ghost Dance clothes that are in the collection at Denver Art Museum. That really upset me. They were playing with things they should never have been touching.

Comment

• When I was in grad school there was a lady in the Houston area who would show up at powwows wearing her Polish folk dancing outfit. But she only danced intertribals and behaved just like the Indian ladies in street clothes. The only difference was she didn’t wear a shawl since she was in her people’s traditional clothes.

But there seems to be an bunch of non-Indian people who seem to think that the circle is the place to show off their special “vision”. They get out there and seem to want to draw everyones attention. It’s like they can’t stand one space where they are not front and center.

Comment

• There's always at least 1 !

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• Well, tonight is my turn to sit up and watch the radar. The weather radio went off for the tornado warning next county over. Now that I'm wide awake, watching the radar and trying to program my radio the right way. It looks like the storm is falling apart, but I prefer to be awake if it holds together long enough to go over us.

And wow, I thought TV was bad during the day. There is a new presenter on an overnight national news program who just tried to sing. I hope she doesn't quit her day job. But, it beats the infomercials and the Andy Griffin Show reruns.

Wow! That was one heck of a flash of lightning. Lit up the entire eastern half of the sky.
                                Last edited by OLChemist; 05-02-2022, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.