Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
    Chuy, a bowl of chip and queso,
    the Powwow.com bottle of tequila and some margarita mix....

The quote came back for 20 kits, shipped from India, at $900 + tariffs! The order is non-cancelable and non-returnable. I went home early and just got the email. I hope she didn't order this before knocking off for the day. Otherwise my Christmas bonus this year is going to be 20 boxes of caps!
    You get the extra large bottle of Powwow.com tequilla. The food as you wish until you have enough on the house.

I think it will not work but I would try my hand over here at:

Conrad

or

Reichelt

or

Buerklin

The last one has a shop in Essen close to the school where I started teaching.

Unfortunately, non English. Buerklin should still have its paper catalog. Where I am now, the lab orders depending on prices at all three and some other.

0,1 uF Keramik
    Last edited by Broken Arrow; 07-24-2021, 02:00 AM.
    Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
    Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
    Show me, and I will understand.
    Involve me, and I will learn.”
    Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.
    Living one day at a time,
    Enjoying one moment at a time,
    Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
    (Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)

Comment

Originally posted by wardancer View Post
      Dang , I don't speak "picnic table"! LOL
      Me either, cuz. LOL!

Not much new here. I started work on the 1st of 3 Cmas. stockings. We're also waiting to see what that system spinning off the coast is going to do. If it does anything interesting, they will call it Frank. I wish there was a way to send some of this rain out west where they really need it. Between climate change, and the weird need to keep all those golf courses and yards green, they could use the water.
      Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

That is a weird summer. Rain, sun, hot, cool, humid.
        No new beading project at this moment.
        I need to paint the roof planks of the car port a third time but somehow it does go forward.

They need to be dry and when they are dry I am either driving mom to the doctor or it is raining again or both. Sigh.
        Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
        Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Chuy, chocolate now! Uh, please.

*Rose retreats to the picnic table by the generator and begins making a sculpture out of 10 feet of used Chem-Wik unsoldering braid.*

Grrrr. I should've known better than to trust online documentation. "...works with any Arduino UNO and compatibles, Mega..." Put a nice touch screen that uses the same graphics library that my other code does, a micro SD card, and a mounted nav switch on one board, add a little advertising lingo and my brain goes offline. It said right there that it used SPI and IC2. I've design, built and programmed 4 measurement devices using Mega 2560 controllers. I know full well where the hardware MISO, MOSI and CLK pins are, and that they're not anywhere near where the pins are in an UNO. But I was swooning over not having to mount four different breakout boards.... I bought one.

I could have saved the day, had I brought my brain to work this morning. But, no. I had to go and solder on the multipin headers, before holding it over the board thinking wait a minute. My choices are: running it on an UNO; digging through two dozen libraries in search of the locations where I need to change from hardware SPI to software SPI and eating the performance cost; or un-soldering the *blessed* headers.

The UNO program memory -- all 32K -- was 87% full with the test program for the display. I need the 256K of program memory on the Mega. So, I've tried getting off the headers. I got one 6 pin header off. The 8 and 12 are hopeless with the equipment I have. I'm afraid I'm going to tear the pads off the board. I burned my thumb and am beyond crabby....

*Rose alternates between sucking on her burnt thumb and stuffing M&M's in her mouth.*
          Last edited by OLChemist; 07-30-2021, 06:12 PM.

Comment

All right for the fast nerve fix M&M chiocolate as wished. I have more them for you. They are part of the party.

For thr burned thump, I have

If you need 256k of Memory than the UNO with 32k is no choice or you can add external memory like with a 8051 but that one is restricted to 64k.

I a prefer but you need some space.

I pray for you, your thumb, your nerves and the project.
            Last edited by Broken Arrow; 07-31-2021, 02:14 AM.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Have you got a snack for an old guy that's grumpy most of the time ? LOL Something cold and relaxing , but non-alcoholic ? Well , if not I'll just have some lemonade ! Hopefully you all are good , staying healthy. This younger generation just is so ........frustrating !
              I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
              It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

LOL, younger people.

I have those well cooled in the refrigerator to offer. Non alcoholic.

There are different ones, lemonade, elderberry, black currents, ingwer-orange,lychee. Your orders please.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Broken Arrow View Post
                  LOL, younger people.

I have those well cooled in the refrigerator to offer. Non alcoholic.

There are different ones, lemonade, elderberry, black currents, ingwer-orange,lychee. Your orders please.
                  I'll try an elderberry one, please.

We've been experiencing triple digit feel like temps the last few days. I keep expecting to find the cat melted on the porch. She refuses to come in, even though she knows it's cooler in the house. We've got an old pecan tree on the west side of the house, and this time of year, it drops nuts on the roof. I think the sound kind of freaks her out, too.
                  Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Elderberry for you.

Close your eyes and you can see and smell and taste it.
                    Last edited by Broken Arrow; 08-01-2021, 02:35 AM.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Chuy, a limeade for WD on me.

We were spared much of the dubious blessings of social media usage during our formative years. I post here and was once involved in an online writer's group, but I really don't think humans are wired to cope with the kinds of input you get from social media, especially as teens. There is mounting evidence that for a not small number of people, social media leads to depression and loneliness.

On the lighter side:

I work with a bunch of younger colleagues who seem really shun human to human interaction, especially if it is with people with whom they are not close friends. And they absolutely don't want to cope with any sort of interruptions. Things my generation handled with a 90 sec phone call or conversation, now take several hours of texts or emails. (They also leave you wondering about the literacy of the graduates of various universities.) For example:

8:15am Rose:"Hey X, where did you put the new sample bags?"

8:32am Colleague X:"On shelf"

8:35am Rose:"Where and which shelf? "

9:23am Colleague X:"Top"

9:25am Rose:"Where is this shelf?"

10:01am Colleague X:"!?! On the top."

10:25am Rose:"Sorry. Of the approximately 60 shelving units in the plant, in which one is this top shelf located?"

(Over the next 5.5 hours leave 4 voicemails, between fruitless forays into various storage rooms.)

4:05 pm Colleague X:"U know, maybe in drawer, not top shelf."

4:10 pm Rose:"Which drawer and in what cabinet?"

4:21 pm Rose:"Never mind. I just ordered some from Amazon. They'll be here before you get back to me."

Comment

Originally posted by subeeds View Post
                        We've been experiencing triple digit feel like temps the last few days. I keep expecting to find the cat melted on the porch. She refuses to come in, even though she knows it's cooler in the house.

LOL. Jet, my black outdoor cat, will lay in full sun on 102F days. You could fry bacon on his fur. He'll be too hot to pet. I swear his brains have cooked like an egg in a 80's anti-drug use PSA.

Comment

Good heavens! A bat keeps brushing the window. He's swooping around on the porch, I think eating bugs attached by the porch lights.

Comment

Very well, lemonade on you for WD.

Which one for you?

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Well you are not in Romania, Transsylvanien. Else it might be a creature of Fürst Vlad.

I have a colleague from there.

On some young people you may find three of this smart phones nowadays with hurt thumbs typing in rapid fire letters.

Lot of conversation but little results.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Lemonade with bergamot, hmm. In Europe would that be Monarda fistulosa, M. bradburiana, or Citrus bergamia?

Back in the day, dance clothes and winter clothing were packed with sachets of hehaka tapejuta --horsemint, sweet leaf, M. fistulosa -- to keep them fresh smelling and the deter bugs. You'd walk past folks lining up for grand entry and frequently catch the odor. I've also heard it called Indian perfume. I think that name is highly regional, because the herb sold in NM as Indian perfume is a different plant. In Lakota culture it is associated with elks and romance. On very rare occasions up north, you'll see a dancer carrying a hoop decorated with dried horsemint among other things.

Its smell is produced by a mix of monoterpenoids: 5-methyl-2-(propan-2-yl)phenol (thymol), 2-methyl-5-(propan-2-yl)phenol (carvacrol), 1,3,3-trimethyl-2-oxabicyclo[2.2.2]octane (eucalyptol), (2E)-3,7-dimethylocta-2,6-dien-1-ol (geraniol), and 3,7-dimethylocta-1,6-dien-3-ol (linalool).

Thymol, as the name suggests, produces the characteristic odor of thyme. Herbs containing it have been used in food preservation the Old and New World. It exhibits strong anti-fungal and anti-bacterial activity against some common food damaging pathogens. It's lipophilic and thus is accumulated in bacterial membrane, interfering in membrane mediated processes. It is also used in toothpastes to treat gingivitis.

Carvacrol produces the smell of oregano. It too exhibits anti-fungal and anti-bacterial activity. Eucalyptol, again as the name suggests, produces the odor of eucalyptus. It's used as a flavoring agent in various foods. The compound acts as an insect repellent, except that it attracts the males of a bee species. Geraniol and linalool have floral smells.

On a semi-related personal note, I got a case of the giggles when I looked up thymol in the Merck Index. I find the smell of thymol very distinctive, very strong and irritating. When I was taking Qualitative Analysis as an undergrad, we got three unknown compounds to identify. One at a time, we'd go to the instructor's lab to get out samples. He handed me the test tube, I unstoppered it and the smell hit me. Stupidly, I almost shrieked "thymol". He took the test tube back and gave me another. It would have been such a simple lab -- an index of refraction, a UV-vis, IR and an NMR. I could have skipped all the time consuming wet chemistry, LOL.
                                Last edited by OLChemist; 08-01-2021, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.