Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• subeeds
    replied
    It's nice to see that ya'll haven't melted in the heat. Between the heat and all the dust we've had from the Sahara, I've been staying home. They also had the library closed due to a covid outbreak. It's hard to believe that we can get dust all the way across the ocean. I decided to start an embroidery project, so I've been keeping myself entertained. It's been years since I've done any embroidery (got side tracked by seed beads), and I had forgotten how much I love it. It also satisfies my craving for color. DMC floss makes about 500 colors, and I have close to 300. LOL! My mom taught me how to embroider when I was 7.

Not much new here. Pretty much everything laying low out of the heat. We need rain. It rains all around us, but we don't even get enough to dampen down the dust on the road.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Goyo, could I please have some fried hominy, a bowl of strawberries and some iced tea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3aEwJO.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	3933136

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Sigh, what will happen to me, if eating so much?
    The food must not be too spicy.
    I think you have to get used to it slowly.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    In the DFW area, most of our "Mexican" restaurants serve the hybrid TexMex or Chihuahuan, Coahuilan, Veracruzano, and whatever the heck you call the region around Mexico city style dishes. We have a place down the street that has some Oaxacan dishes - mostly 5 different kinds of mole and champurrado (which is also a New Mexico thing). There's a really upscale place in town where you can get cochinita pibil, which is a dish from the Yucatan with deep Mayan roots.

We're starting to get Salvadoran and Honduran restaurants. Pupusas are the hot thing with folks at the plant. Last lunch we had before Covid was pupusas, plantains, frijoles and salad. Locoro con queso, yummy.

Locoro (F. pandurata)

Pupusa

You got some real yummy stuff when Native and European food traditions collided. We're going to have to get you over here BA. There is a whole world of Native influenced food you need to eat.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    LOL.

More like this BA. In southern AZ, carne seca is a dish made with dried meat like you found. Burros are what people call burritos in the Tucson area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	El-Charro_1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	3933118

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    I hope, that is what you asked for.

https://assets.unileversolutions.com...pg?imwidth=800

https://www.usa-kulinarisch.de/wp-co...12/icetea1.jpg

Well, with these temperatures, I think the Rio Grande might fell low enough on certain spots just to walk back. But Chuy really should learn to swim.

Leave a comment:

• wardancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Broken Arrow View Post
    Where has Chuy been deported and where is the new guy from?
    Chuy got sent back to Mexico , but as soon as the RioGrande get a little lower he'll be back ! He can't swim so as soon as the river is low enough he'll just walk back over !

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    I recruited Goyo from Tucson. He was hanging out, learning to make popovers (local name for fry bread). I was dying for some gallina pinta, a sonoran hot dog, fish tacos and coyotas.

Speaking of which.... Goyo, could I please have a carne seca burro, calabacitas and iced tea.
    Last edited by OLChemist; 07-24-2022, 09:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Where has Chuy been deported and where is the new guy from?

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    LOL. You're right.

Leave a comment:

• wardancer
    replied
    Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
    Chuy, can I please have a cup of green chile stew, a bagel, an apple and some iced tea.

Chuy got deported , the new guy is Goyo ! Dang , and you hired him !
    By the way , I'll have the same !

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Chuy, can I please have a cup of green chile stew, a bagel, an apple and some iced tea.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Roads, it got better but at certain traffic lights and Autobahn you still have those ruts when the asphalt is overheated.
    In some instances you even don't need heat. If there enough trucks over a period of time you either get by the weight or by breaking at the traffic lights those ruts.

It is 6 am and the thermometer says 81F. It has rained in the night and outside it feels cooler.

Thanks heaven, my car has AC and it will be a four to five hour drive to Pforzheim. Round trip about 850 km or 530 miles in two days.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Sherbet is made with flavoring, sugar, water and milk or cream, with < 2% butter fat. It's not as rich as ice cream, which under US law must have >10% butter fat. (We have an in between category called frozen dessert. Many "ice cream" products sold in the US are actually frozen dessert.) Sorbet is made with flavoring, sugar and water and without any dairy products. Goggle translate offered Sorbett as the German translation. But, when I look up Sorbett it is describing something without dairy.

Well, it's almost 9pm and we're still over 100F.

Our trains, mostly light rail/trolleys, have AC. But, because of the heat, they are restricted to 35mph. The heat is making the overhead wires sag too much and is softening the road beds at crossings.

Over the past couple decades, the road surfaces seem to have gotten better at surviving the heat. When I was in grad school in Houston, in the summer (90-95F) the asphalt at the intersections would get these ruts and ripples. They were from the asphalt softening and deforming under the weight of cars waiting for the lights to change. That doesn't happen on the newer roads.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    What is Sherbet?
    Nevertheless, I offer six scoops of vanilla or lime. Hard chocolate on top as you wish.

I live in a house made of stone. In the cellar and the bedroom of Mom (half cellar) it is cool or quite cool and you do not need AC. We have half floors and many stairways. My bedroom is under the roof and I am very pleased that after three years of thinking about AC I have installed AC last year. A third of the house is acceptable and 2 thirds are difficult.

On the front side, we have the shutters down and it helps but the humidity is the real pain. This morning, outside the house was better than inside. There was some wind and I made three tours with the bicycle to get bread, journals for mom and Hansaplast. LOL, with the wind it was quite comfortable on the bicycle. A bit saving diesel fuel.

Unclear how many people die in Germany. May be thousands and mostly elder people.

I hope Friday will be a bit cooler. Not very pleasant to stand on the range for black powder championship.

LOL, our trains have AC but in hot times they fail. Joke "Before you nag about the air conditioning, the train has no"

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.