• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn: Wal-Mart shoppers.. woman trampled rushing for DVD player

Woman Knocked Unconscious While Shopping

AP
    Patty VanLester of Orange City

ORANGE CITY, Fla. (Nov. 29) - A mob of shoppers rushing for a sale on DVD players trampled the first woman in line and knocked her unconscious as they scrambled for the shelves at a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Patricia VanLester had her eye on a $29 DVD player, but when the siren blared at 6 a.m. Friday announcing the start to the post-Thanksgiving sale, the 41-year-old was knocked to the ground by the frenzy of shoppers behind her.

''She got pushed down, and they walked over her like a herd of elephants,'' said VanLester's sister, Linda Ellzey. ''I told them, 'Stop stepping on my sister! She's on the ground!'''

Ellzey said some shoppers tried to help VanLester, and one employee helped Ellzey reach her sister, but most people just continued their rush for deals.

''All they cared about was a stupid DVD player,'' she said Saturday.

Paramedics called to the store found VanLester unconscious on top of a DVD player, surrounded by shoppers seemingly oblivious to her, said Mark O'Keefe, a spokesman for EVAC Ambulance.

She was flown to Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, where doctors told the family VanLester had a seizure after she was knocked down and would likely remain hospitalized through the weekend, Ellzey said. Hospital officials said Saturday they did not have any information on her condition.

''She's all black and blue,'' Ellzey said. ''Patty doesn't remember anything. She still can't believe it all happened.''

Ellzey said Wal-Mart officials called later Friday to ask about her sister, and the store apologized and offered to put a DVD player on hold for her.

Wal-Mart Stores spokeswoman Karen Burk said she had never heard of a such a melee during a sale.

''We are very disappointed this happened,'' Burk said. ''We want her to come back as a shopper.''

11/29/03 10:26 EST
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

While this whole thing bothered me, this is what I think bothered me the most.

Ellzey said Wal-Mart officials called later Friday to ask about her sister, and the store apologized and offered to put a DVD player on hold for her.

Wal-Mart Stores spokeswoman Karen Burk said she had never heard of a such a melee during a sale.

''We are very disappointed this happened,'' Burk said. ''We want her to come back as a shopper.''
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Exactly...Like she really cares about the damn DVD player now.

I cant believe people seemed to be oblivious to her..well I can believe it, but ya know....
      He's the type of rez I like
      ~A. Waquie Nov. 2003~

Comment

I can't even believe this happened in the first place! This woman's sister was all yelling to everybody to stop because her sister was laying on the ground.Nobody tried to stop or anything to help this woman up while she was having seizures on the floor! All they cared about was this stupid dvd player! I can't believe people could be so heartless maybe they should think about what about if this had been one of their family members they would have been ready to kick some butt!
        If you should suck my soul, I should lick your funky emotions. Nothing's good unless you play with it, play with me baby.

Did you just see what god did to us man?

If Barbie is so popular why do have to buy her friends?

Comment

a person is smart but people r stupid! together as a crowd..people can do some stupid chit!
          that is a very sad story.....walmart should pay for her christmas fro a few years...
          WHEN FACED WITH A CHALLENGE, LOOK FOR A WAY NOT A WAY OUT.
          Death: The pain passes but the beauty remains.

Comment

I would like to see every person who stepped on her charged with assault. They have all those cameras hanging from the ceiling and alot of people write checks or use credit cards. I'm sure Big Brother Government could match faces with names without too much trouble.
            "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
            Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

gheez.."save her a DVD player" how thoughtful
              at the very least they should be paying all her medical bills...
              Life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved

Comment

Jeeez!!!

If they charge all those people with assault, half of my auntys are gonna be callin me to bail'em out!!!

Gah poor thing! I swear, people these days are rediculous! But dont you forget goot ol Karma is just around the corner!
                ..::First ever 2002-2003 Powwows.com Princess::..
                ~*~*~* The original POWWOWCHIC49 *~*~*~
                *~*JINGLE IT*~*

Comment

that's horrible! I'm from a small town, (but, of course we have a super walmart) and a lady I know took her daughter who is fourteen to "the sale" for a four dollar coffee pot, when the whistle went off, the daughter went to get her coffee pot and this lady hit her and scratched her, she went home, bruised and scratched and with no coffee pot, her mother is very timid so she just got her daughter and ran, I wish I'd of been there, I would have kicked that woman's azz right there in the store!:Yell
                  sigpicDisclaimer: Storyteller and I are friends no matter what our evil twins say on the rhyme thread

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, laying in hospitals, dying of nothing....

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!

Four things you can't recover:

The stone........after the throw. The word........after it's said.

The occasion...........after it's missed. The time.........after it's gone.

Comment

My friend said that she saw a similar thing happen at our Wal-Mart. How on earth can anyone justify stepping on someone to get a stupid $29 DVD when they have some that are normally around $40 anyways?!!!

Comment

On hold?

This woman is easily gona have a $5000, dollar plus hospital stay, but as soon as she's well she can pick up her $29 dollar DVD player.

Comment

Re: Attn: Wal-Mart shoppers.. woman trampled rushing for DVD player

Originally posted by Mato Winyan
                        Woman Knocked Unconscious While Shopping

Paramedics called to the store found VanLester unconscious on top of a DVD player,

11/29/03 10:26 EST
                        *strolls up whistling nonchalantly*

'Yoink!'

lol
                        If'n you ain't the granddaddy of all liars. The little critters of nature they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny! A fly marrying a bumblebee. I told you I'd shoot! But you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

-Stinky Wizzleteats, genius

Comment

Kinda like Value Village on 50% off days.:D

Comment

My wife works at our local hospital and they had folks admitted bright and early Friday morning because of fights that broke out in the local Walmart by these same type people.

It's sad but I can completely understand how that woman was trampled. If you have ever been in a mob situation you would understand that the people in the back of the crowd start moving forward and pushing, causing the entire crowd to pack in tighter, and when that is coupled with a constriction of space (like a door way) this is highly likely to happen. Those in the back cannot see what is going on in the front of the pack and once that gal went down there was no hope for her until the bulk of the crowd was past. If any of the people up front had stopped to help her up they would have been on the floor with her and in the same predicament. Isn't a competitive nature a wonderful thing!

This is the same thing that happens in a panicked crowd that is fleeing. Many of the deaths that have happened in night club fires are not people burning or choking to death from smoke but they are trampled to death by the crowd trying to get out to a safer area.

What is sad is that there are so many people out there that are so conditioned by corporate America that they might as well name themselves spot and sit in for Pavlov's dog! I never go shopping the day after Thanksgiving and especially not for those 'wondrous' Friday morning sales...as far as I am concerned if they can afford to price those items like that to draw folks in then there is no reason it shouldn't be at that price all the time.
                            PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

I myself think its kinda funny in a way, yet I find humor in weird places.lol. but YES its messed up(dont want no one mad at me)lol. Its survival of the fittest, grandma got in the way. If it was me, and I was unconcious, they would have taken me to the IHS, lordy lordy lordy. Im sure she will get a good settlement out of it. Maybe she should train all year so next year this dont happen again.
                              :indian2: MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL, JEAN CLAUDE VAN DAMME IM FINE:muscles:

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• OLChemist
                                Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                                by OLChemist
                                *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                                06-21-2021, 01:08 PM
                              • NahimanaSung
                                Hosting young girl in rez
                                by NahimanaSung
                                Hey!

I'm half Lakota/Dakota native american, currently living in France. I'm 18 years old, and at a point in my life where I really feel the need to explore my ancestry and learn more about my culture.

I don't know if this is the appropriate forum or way to ask,...
                                03-07-2016, 09:56 AM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X