Comerical shows US Calvary using cellphones to massacre NDNs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comerical shows US Calvary using cellphones to massacre NDNs

I got this from another board I belong to and thought it should be posted here. Not only does this tell about the comercial but also includes e-mails to the companies and their responses.

Originally From: "Kanatsiohareke Community"

Please distribute widely-

On December 2nd and 4th I witnessed a commercial being aired on WWLP-TV22. The commercial depicted the US Calvary's use of cellular phones to better defeat the Indigenous Peoples who's lives werealready the prime target of extermination by the US Government in aclaymation format. The commercial is distributed by Wireless Zone, a nationwide business of cellular phone services.

The television station was initially contacted by myself and numerous other individuals. I was told by Mr. Bill Pepin, the General Manager, that I had four minutes to state my case as to why I found this advertisement for genocide to be offensive. When I had used my four minutes he told me that he would speak with the sales department but would not guarantee that they would even do anything about it.

Corporate Prostitution at its best.

I initially contacted Verizon Wireless about the commercial and after a lengthy investigation by their company (they were very helpful), I was told the the commercial was distributed by one of their vendors, that being Wireless Zone.

I have attempted to contact Wireless Zone both by phone and email. I sent them copies of pictures of what the effects of the Indian Wars were....numerous dead indians, left where they had fallen or dumped into mass graves. I recieved an email response from Mr. Mark Asnes. He evidently does not understand or does not care about the horrific ordeals Indigenous Peoples went through at the hands of the US Calvary. He tells me that his ad is based on a factual event. Somehow this is supposed to be okay.

At the bottom of this email is a copy of the email sent to me. If the commercial is running in your area, please contact your local television station to let them know you will not stand for advertsements promoting the erradication of an entire culture.

Please take the time to contact Mr. Asnes, as he feels that because there was initially only the one complaint from myself, that its okay. He feels that because the commercial was test marketed before a focus group and no one objected, that the commercial is acceptable. Because it is seen by millions of people in 13 states and he has only recieved my objection, that it is fine to continue to run his campaign of humorous slaughter.

If you would be interested in participating in a protest in Western Massachusetts please contact me at [email protected] or 413- 529-9423

Contact information-

Wireless Zone
    Mark Asnes, Executive VP and General Manager 860-613-0393,
    [email protected]
    Fax 860-613-0878
    General information: [email protected]
    Company President: [email protected]

WWLP-TV22
    Bill Pepin, General Manager 413-786-2200
    Fax 413-786-2200
    Newsroom 413-377-1169
    Email [email protected]

Regards,

Sky Davis

To: <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>

Dear Mr. Asnes,

Having read your dismissive reply to a friend - Sky it's apparent that you believe that Sky is the only American Indian who objects to your commercials falsely representing the reality of the intentional genocide on the part of European colonizers that overtook and nearly annihilated our peoples. Perhaps you think that the version of US History you were taught is somehow humorous - that the annihilation of approximately 125 millions of indigenous peoples in the Western Hemisphere is some kind of proper joke in the media - and that it is somehow appropriate to simply walk over those corpses who make your "modern, civilized" life possible with no respect whatsoever.

We disagree, and I think you're about to find out how much. Such callous stupidity must be exposed, and I guarantee you that every news venue - both in the Springfield area, and across America - possible will be barraged with calls, faxes, emails, and other communications to express the outrage that American Indian people feel. We have targeted not only the local station, but your company as the producer, and Verizon Wireless overall for a boycott campaign. You stated to Sky that the commercial had run numerous times prior to its detection - more the shame on you, Mr. Asnes; such braggartry only inflames our rage at this thoughtless racist outrage.

Below is the letter I sent to Verizon Wireless; I guarantee you that I and many other of their customers - it's the twenty-first century, Mr. Asnes, and Indians are educated and use cell phones extensively - will be boycotting not only your company but your carrier, Verizon Wireless as well. I'm sure that will go down well with them. At the end of my letter to Verizon, there is a request for an apology from the responsible party; that is now a demand, and it must be national in scope - I don't particularly care what zone your particular company covers, this is now a national issue - and made in such a way as reflect both a sense of the different version of history you are sure to be taught by the many American Indians who you will be hearing from, and a sincere regret for having presented such a callous joking reference to the millions of American Indians dead at the hands of the colonizers. The letter to Verizon follows:

Verizon Wireless Customer Service,

I was stunned, literally stunned, to find out that Verizon Wireless had run a television commercial that depicted a member of the "US cavalry" using a Verizon cell phone because he was under attack by "Sioux Indians." I would have thought it inconceivable that something of this nature would even be considered as appropriate in the 21st century; I was angered enough to write to you to express my outrage that in 2003, you would run an such an atrocious commercial that used vicious and spurious stereotypes of MY ancestors - I am of Lakota and Dakota (what you call Sioux) heritage - considering the kind of genocidal treatment we went through in the defense of OUR HOMELANDS at the hands of the United States, both its military and its civilians. I cannot say enough in protest of this odious miscasting of the realities of what really happened on the northern plains, and the kind of callous misrepresentation Verizon made of Indian people in your commercial.

I am simply astonished that Verizon would be party to such a commercial and would run it. You should be deeply ashamed of yourselves, and you owe the Native peoples of this land, particularly the "Sioux," the Lakota, Dakota, and Nakoda, a sincere apology.

I am considering the option of discontinuing my service with Verizon for cause should no public apology for this abhorrent and vicious attack on a people who were cheated, starved, and murdered, whose treaties were violated by the US before the ink was even dry, and whose culture was nearly annihilated by the US in the name of "civilization."

Sincerely,

Prof. Mike Two Horses
    American Indian Studies
    Department of Interdisciplinary Studies
    Virginia Tech
    344 Lane Hall (Mail Stop 0227)
    Blacksburg VA 24061-0227
    The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
    -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Is this for real??!!??!?

Man, if factual event was the excuse given, then someone should suggest to them that they make a commercial showing the Nazis utilizing cell phones to better exterminate Jews.
    It is so sad that a family can torn apart by something as simple as a wild pack of dogs.

Comment

As far as I know this is real, but I have not personally seen the commercial yet.
      The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
      -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

I haven't seen it yet either. Unreal if this is legit.

Comment

SICK!
          alamosaurus

Comment

The disease keeps spreading when the buck is getting bigger in their pockets, sadly this is just another sad example of what the buck will do to people. I agree with you all, very sick to say the least, but there is only one way to stop these kind of jerks, that is to give it back to them again and again, take up lawsuits, that they understand and FEAR. Hit them with that and see how fast the commercial disapears! Tell them you talked to a lawyer and they want to sttle this kind of thing with a $100 million lawsuit for the bennefit of the survivors that now have ot suffer under this renewed humiliation!!!
            Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
            Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

At first I thought this sounded like a hoax. But here's the website where you can watch the commercial. Couldn't get it to play on my computer, tho.
              http://www.wrecklessabandon.com/WAcommercials.htm

There is a link where you can email the creators of the commercial at wrecklessabandon.com.

Has anybody checked on the names and/or phone numbers listed? On Indianz.com someone said they checked on the one guy and he works for an automotive technology company.

I would suggest that somebody check on those names, numbers and email addy's before we start calling and/or emailing.
              ...it is what it is...

Comment

I can't stand the words of contempt I feel when I saw your clip with the non-Natives versus the Indians. Will You do anything for a buck???
                This kind of racial slurr is what gets companies like yours into so much trouble world wide. Custer was a fool for what he did but you are even bigger fools for your explotation of such a stupid disaster in history. I for one will boycott your product because of this kind of hatered.

This is what I just sent!
                Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.

Comment

That was crazy: "You have reached the voicemail of General George Armstrong Custer"

They should add on the end "I can't come to the phone right now because I have an arrow stuck in my a$$"
                  Got percap?

Comment

Dang, you got it to play??:( Ima try again.
                    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Tibiki Kinew
                      I can't stand the words of contempt I feel when I saw your clip with the non-Natives versus the Indians. Will You do anything for a buck???
                      This kind of racial slurr is what gets companies like yours into so much trouble world wide. Custer was a fool for what he did but you are even bigger fools for your explotation of such a stupid disaster in history. I for one will boycott your product because of this kind of hatered.

This is what I just sent!
                      But did you watch it?? I finally wisened up and downloaded QuickTime and it played! It IS funny, especially with Jibby's last line tagged on.:Chatter

Like someone on the other forum said. NOTHING could have helped Custer.
                      ...it is what it is...

Comment

Yes I watched it but hey where do we stop, is nothing sacred, do we do anything for a buck, I for one would not go to the bottom of the ocean in front of the titanic and say Hello anyone there" on a cellphone, it is just poor taste that some people would exploit their very history and destroy the roads of freedom!

Sure I agree commercials are a good way to make a point but again where do we tow the line!!!

Comment

Hey ,,,,I got an E-mail from the company, they pulled it and will not show it on the site anymore, AS well they appologized to me and agreed that it was offensive from the NDN point of view, i would like to post the letter but due to the way it was written i can't display it,,, copy guard and fines if they find out I posted it,,, go figure . I thought they would be happy to see that their appology would be able to be seen.

Comment

Post it anyway, Tibbs.

Comment

They have my work address and that would make it too easy for them to get back at me,,, no not this time! It is a fine line but the thing is they did appologize which I figure is good! It was heart felt and they repeatedly said that they didn't consider anyones feelings in this regard. They also mentionet that they had no control over the final use of the commercial spot itself though.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

• OLChemist
                                Redhorse Cafe -- the Food Truck
                                by OLChemist
                                *Rose wakes Chuy up and chases him out in to the parking lot to see his new digs. She fires up the portable evaporative cooler next to the tables. *

Chuy, some iced tea, carne adovada, calabacitas, and sopaillas, please. It's so much fun to watch WD and BA chase their napkins in the...
                                06-21-2021, 01:08 PM
                              • NahimanaSung
                                Hosting young girl in rez
                                by NahimanaSung
                                Hey!

I'm half Lakota/Dakota native american, currently living in France. I'm 18 years old, and at a point in my life where I really feel the need to explore my ancestry and learn more about my culture.

I don't know if this is the appropriate forum or way to ask,...
                                03-07-2016, 09:56 AM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X