Tiny Tot Dancer
    • Jan 2004

How can I find Out about my Native Heratige

indian2: Melody
    :) Eyes_of_the_Wolves ;)
  • Mato Winyan
    Lovin' life,
    • Mar 2000

Best thing to do is to talk to any and all relatives. Ask questions of anyone you can think of. Ask about names.. dates of birth, marriages, deaths. Found out about any adoptions. Ask about counties. That will get you started. Search our archives here, there is some great advice in there. :)
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
      Tiny Tot Dancer
      • Jan 2004

ok I got the names of my grandparents on my mom's side and where they were born and died at and what years. Now what do I do? :(

Comment

• storm
        Teen Dancer
        • Jan 2004

You mention your tribes. You need to see if any were enrolled members of each tribe. To be a cherokee you have to have a blood relative on one of the Dawes rolls.(1906) I have no idea about the Sioux but call tribal offices. Check the web for geneology sources. as you get info will try to help more.
        My bark is worse than my bite

Comment

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
          Tiny Tot Dancer
          • Jan 2004

only problem is I don't even know how much they had in them

Comment

• storm
            Teen Dancer
            • Jan 2004

YOu do not need to know how much. You need to know where they were born. Were they really Indian or is it just talk. What band were they from? Thier home towns will help you determine this. This can take months or years. Try Genweb the oklahoma site and others to find Cherokee names on the rolls.

Comment

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
              Tiny Tot Dancer
              • Jan 2004

Well then I might be in trouble because my mom was not told much about it as a kid.Plus can't yyou be native and just not have chosen to be enrolled?

Comment

• superndngyrl
                hello
                • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Eyes_of_the_Wolves
                Well then I might be in trouble because my mom was not told much about it as a kid.Plus can't yyou be native and just not have chosen to be enrolled?
                yea. there's a lot of people that were not enrolled because they were ashamed and then there's some tribes where you can only enroll if your father was that tribe and many many other reasons. Unless you're cherokee then u just have to be a descendant of a descendant of the tribe. ;)
                The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
                  Tiny Tot Dancer
                  • Jan 2004

ok I know i have cherokee in me, but i not sure who is father back after my mom though

Comment

• storm
                    Teen Dancer
                    • Jan 2004

Yes there are plenty of unenrolled natives. It make it harder to trace your lineage though.:(

Good luck. tomorrow I will post some sites you can go to that may help.

Comment

• Okwataga
                      Senior Dancer
                      • Oct 2000

If you know you have cherokee then you should know who else in your family is cherokee too, otherwise how do you know?

do you have any family names?

if they are western then theres the emigration rolls for those that moved before removal or the dawes rolls too

if eastern we base off the baker roll 1924

unless you know who is on the siler, hester, chapman or churchhill rolls
                      Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
                        Tiny Tot Dancer
                        • Jan 2004

Ok this is what I have so far. My grandma is Vivan David born in some town called Avenue,MO or KS in 1921. Died in same town in 1987. Either her father or some how related name is Arthur David. I think not sure though he died in 1921 in the same town.

My grandpa is Virgil Van Cleave not exactly sure where he was born at or died, but he was born in 1905 and died in 1967. That is about all I have at this time.:(

Comment

• Okwataga
                          Senior Dancer
                          • Oct 2000

okay virgil being born 1905 not sure when the dawes rolls started but from where you say they lived most likely on the western rolls

okay just looked at baker and churchill (1908) and there are no davids or van cleaves

so I guess then you need to check the dawes on the western hope that helped get you started
                          Last edited by Okwataga; 02-04-2004, 11:27 AM.
                          Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

• storm
                            Teen Dancer
                            • Jan 2004

Dawes rolls ended 1906.

Comment

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
                              Tiny Tot Dancer
                              • Jan 2004

Yea I wish my uncle knew the names and years and places of my Great Grandparents. That probably be better to trace to the rolls. :(

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.