• Red_Passion49
    replied
    nevermind......:devil

Leave a comment:

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
    replied
    Actually I think this is goin to be easier than trying to do my dad's side.

Leave a comment:

• AlmostThere
    The Original OP CREW

• katezninen
    replied
    Good Luck!...

Leave a comment:

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
    replied
    Yea I wish my uncle knew the names and years and places of my Great Grandparents. That probably be better to trace to the rolls. :(

Leave a comment:

• storm
    Teen Dancer

• storm
    replied
    Dawes rolls ended 1906.

Leave a comment:

• Okwataga
    Senior Dancer

• Okwataga
    replied
    okay virgil being born 1905 not sure when the dawes rolls started but from where you say they lived most likely on the western rolls

okay just looked at baker and churchill (1908) and there are no davids or van cleaves

so I guess then you need to check the dawes on the western hope that helped get you started
    Okwataga
    Senior Dancer
    Last edited by Okwataga; 02-04-2004, 12:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
    replied
    Ok this is what I have so far. My grandma is Vivan David born in some town called Avenue,MO or KS in 1921. Died in same town in 1987. Either her father or some how related name is Arthur David. I think not sure though he died in 1921 in the same town.

My grandpa is Virgil Van Cleave not exactly sure where he was born at or died, but he was born in 1905 and died in 1967. That is about all I have at this time.:(

Leave a comment:

• Okwataga
    Senior Dancer

• Okwataga
    replied
    If you know you have cherokee then you should know who else in your family is cherokee too, otherwise how do you know?

do you have any family names?

if they are western then theres the emigration rolls for those that moved before removal or the dawes rolls too

if eastern we base off the baker roll 1924

unless you know who is on the siler, hester, chapman or churchhill rolls

Leave a comment:

• storm
    Teen Dancer

• storm
    replied
    Yes there are plenty of unenrolled natives. It make it harder to trace your lineage though.:(

Good luck. tomorrow I will post some sites you can go to that may help.

Leave a comment:

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
    replied
    ok I know i have cherokee in me, but i not sure who is father back after my mom though

Leave a comment:

• superndngyrl
    hello

• superndngyrl
    replied
    Originally posted by Eyes_of_the_Wolves
    Well then I might be in trouble because my mom was not told much about it as a kid.Plus can't yyou be native and just not have chosen to be enrolled?
    yea. there's a lot of people that were not enrolled because they were ashamed and then there's some tribes where you can only enroll if your father was that tribe and many many other reasons. Unless you're cherokee then u just have to be a descendant of a descendant of the tribe. ;)

Leave a comment:

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
    replied
    Well then I might be in trouble because my mom was not told much about it as a kid.Plus can't yyou be native and just not have chosen to be enrolled?

Leave a comment:

• storm
    Teen Dancer

• storm
    replied
    YOu do not need to know how much. You need to know where they were born. Were they really Indian or is it just talk. What band were they from? Thier home towns will help you determine this. This can take months or years. Try Genweb the oklahoma site and others to find Cherokee names on the rolls.

Leave a comment:

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• Eyes_of_the_Wolves
    replied
    only problem is I don't even know how much they had in them

Leave a comment:

• storm
    Teen Dancer

• storm
    replied
    You mention your tribes. You need to see if any were enrolled members of each tribe. To be a cherokee you have to have a blood relative on one of the Dawes rolls.(1906) I have no idea about the Sioux but call tribal offices. Check the web for geneology sources. as you get info will try to help more.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X