Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know I'm Indian but I don't know what.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know I'm Indian but I don't know what.

I know I'm Indian, but I don't know what.

How many times have you read this or heard some one say it?

If you don't know which nation you are, then how do you know you're Indian? Can you just feel it? How does that feel? Is it tingly? Can feel it in your bones?

Do you look it? That can't be right because so many people said they have red hair/green eyes and can tell you their nation.

Maybe it's your senses. Explain your senses. Is it a 6th sense?

Or.........maybe it's your smell. Do you smell Indian? What does that smell like? I don't know because I shower with Irish Spring and it covers up my Indian smell. Indian Smell? haha

All you folks who "just know" that you're Indian, help us out here.
    If you help us out, maybe we can understand better.

Uh oh..I been using my wifes apple scented soap...
    My bark is worse than my bite

Comment

Hmm good question but you can definately smell an ashinaabe coming a good while back. And after a powwow a real one that is you can pretty much smell everyone.

Comment

.I know I'm Indian, but I don't know what.
        First, I sense some anger, not just thirst for knowledge and understanding.
        The question is a little tainted by your anger.
        nothing wrong with anger, but, your perspective may inhibit your search for knowledge.
        From the ones that i have met, the question sounds more like, "My Grandmother, she was American Indian, but we have no clue what tribe, or how much.
        we just know that we are decedents of American Indians.
        I believe that America is a pretty screwed up place, but, if American Indians were in control of America, we might correct things.
        I wonder if there is some way to get to the roots of my American Indian past, to the extent that I can live my life in a way more in accord with a better way for America."

If you don't know which nation you are, then how do you know you're Indian?

Well, if your elders have told you are a half breed, like i was told, you trust that you are a Blendian, not half species, and therefore part goat or something.

Can you just feel it?

Well, I feel a closeness to the natural world, and the spiritual world that is hidden in the natural world. that is just me.

How does that feel?

well, it doesn't feel tingly!

Is it tingly?

HEY, I just said, it doesn't feel tingly!!!!

Can feel it in your bones?

Uh, no, not really.

Do you look it?

Uh, no, not really.

That can't be right because so many people said they have red hair/green eyes and can tell you their nation. ( well, if you know the answer...)

Maybe it's your senses. Explain your senses. Is it a 6th sense?

No, its the N Sense.

Or.........maybe it's your smell. Do you smell Indian?

No, but you developed this sarcastic way of asking questions, then answering them. It is the surest sign of being an Indian!

What does that smell like? I don't know because I shower with Irish Spring and it covers up my Indian smell.

I shower with Pam , and I luv it!

Indian Smell? haha

Let me say this.
        American Indian family, they are all killed, except the children, who, are scattered to the wind.
        One is raised African.
        One is raised chemise.
        One is Raised white.
        One is raised American Indian.
        Twenty years later, their is a new generation of this blood line.
        The grandchildren of the original couple are now; one is
        I/2 Indian and 1/2 African, and one is !/2 Indian and 1/2 white, and one is 1/2 Indian and 1/2 Chinese , and one is full Indian blood.

Forty years later, there is a new generation of this blood line.
        The great grandchildren of the original couple are now;
        1/4 Indian, and 3/4 African, and 1/4 Indian and 3/4 white, and 1/4 Indian and 3/4 chinese, and one is full blood Indian.

60 years later, there is a new generation of this blood line.
        The Great Great Grandchildren of the original couple are now; 1/8Indian and 7/8 African; and 1/8 Indian and 7/8 white, and 1/8 Indian and 7/8 Chinese, and one who is Full blood.

But, for no fault of their own, the children of the original couple have been scattered to the wind, and now, thru some attraction, the lost children have a tugging in their hearts for the voices, music, traditions, and the faces of their parents.
        The spirits of the original American Indian couple would be blessed to know that , once this call to come home is heard, that their children will not be turned away after being gone so long from the womb of the American Indian.
        these people are to be welcomed, taught, and strengthened.
        Remember, they are outside the American Indian community thru the effects of the crimes of the white man against the original couple.
        Just my thoughts.
        Casey
        ------------------
        " We beseech and demand... that you accept the Church and the Superior Organization of the whole world and recognize the supreme Pontiff, called the Pope, and that in his name you acknowledge the King and Queen... his representatives, as the lords and superior authorities of these islands and main lands...
        If you do not do this, or resort maliciously to delay, we warn you that, with the aid of God, we will enter your land against you with force and will make war in every place and by every means we can and are able, and we will then subject you to the yoke and authority of the church and of their Highnesses.
        We will take you and your wives and children and make them slaves...
        And we will take your property and will do you all the harm and evil we can..."

--The Requerimiento (read by Spanish Conquistadors to the people of the "New World" )

Comment

Re: I know I'm Indian but I don't know what.

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
          I know I'm Indian, but I don't know what.

How many times have you read this or heard some one say it?

If you don't know which nation you are, then how do you know you're Indian? Can you just feel it? How does that feel?

Do you look it? That can't be right because so many people said they have red hair/green eyes and can tell you their nation.

For the sole purpose of understanding:

My Grams was adopted by a white man who married my g-granny.
          The marriage was "arranged" by my g-granny's family. My Grams always longed to know her father. The family would not speak or acknowledge the details. When my g-granny passed on...Grams contacted her Uncle who told her about her father and his tribal affliation. Up to that point she had "thought perhaps" that she was Chicasaw or Choctaw. The information and details given to her by her Uncle who knew her father is that he was a full blooded Cherokee. Gram's uncle also told her more details about her father. So, for many years I knew of heritage and anyone who knew me also knew that about me. My Grams "looked Indian" or in the words of my grandfather: "the most beautiful woman ever". I was in my 20's before I knew exactly WHICH tribal afflilation my g-grandfather belonged.

So, does this help?

My husband didn't always know he was Cherokee. His mother did the research because she "knew" she was indian. She found documents mainly because someone else was "convinced that they were related to her family because they looked alike" and so she sought to disprove it. (They weren't related.) Anyway, what was found also included documentation from newspapers & the courts because of a "hate crime" against his g-grams that actually took place on the Court House steps. For her protection, they fled the area for a better life. My husband never met his g-grams. His family always told him that he was indian, and when he was in his 30's he found he is Cherokee.

I really hope this helps others to understand. I understand there are wannabees/or fans seeking to be fulfilled.

Yeah, make mine "Caress" soap.
          Last edited by drinkingfromysaucer2; 02-22-2004, 05:02 PM.
          I love that song, let's turn the music up!

Smilies is not my 1st Language

Comment

ok now how come theres natives that have white skin some have red or blond hair and blue or green eyes and they say there full blooded back in the olden days when people where living in teepees there was no natives that looked white or had red hair or green eyes ok i jus wanna know im not bein a a** or anything because i have 2 little cuzins that look white really white and they have red hair even freckles 2 but i think they got those features from there grandpa caz he was white there mom looks white 2 but shes a half white and half native and shes not full blooded indian but how can someone be a full blooded indian if they got red hair or green eyes can someone explaine like i said im not bein a a** im jus askin
            Last edited by ; 02-22-2004, 10:29 PM.

Comment

I still don't have an answer. I'm confused.

I'm talking about people who don't know. In some folks profiles, they put unknown or something to that effect when filling in their tribal affiliation. That's what I don't get.

Comment

oh ok i c now what u mean people who dont know what rez there from

Comment

Not quite, Caramel.

I mean people who actually don't know what nation/tribe.

I know i'm Anishinaabe without a doubt. You know you're Blackfoot. Some people say that they don't know. How can that be?

Like, I ain't going to claim I'm white unless I know for sure who my alleged whiteness comes from.

Comment

Like, I ain't going to claim I'm white unless I know for sure who my alleged whiteness comes from.
                    :p

k just like me to talk bout myself :Chatter but why do ppl think i must be part white because i have freckles?? why is that posta be a white thing? that confuzzles me......

Comment

freckles r not a white thing my brother is full blooded indian and he has freckles we named 2 of them cause we can see them the most heckle and jeckle.......''lol

Comment

Not quite, Caramel.

I mean people who actually don't know what nation/tribe.

I know i'm Anishinaabe without a doubt. You know you're Blackfoot. Some people say that they don't know. How can that be?

the best thing to do is talk to your parents or grandparents or aunts and uncles maybe they will know

Comment

well i KNOW anybody can have freckles and moles and stuff but WHY do ppl think freckles are a white thing?? ppl always say stuff bout my freckles... bout i must be white

Comment

Originally posted by LilMissDopey
                            well i KNOW anybody can have freckles and moles and stuff but WHY do ppl think freckles are a white thing?? ppl always say stuff bout my freckles... bout i must be white
                            prolly cause there stupid a**es that dont know s**t
                            about anything

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^:Eyepopper hooleh. That's all I gotta say about that one.

But on a different note, I know of a few people who are obviously ndn, and did not know where they came from. Seriously. It all came from adoption, being adopted out into a non native family and not having one clue where their people are from.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.