Bannock Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bannock Bread

I was just hoping someone would help me out.

My man is Cree and he is wanting bannock bread. I don't have the slightest idea how to make it. I guess he's tired of Sioux-style frybread and gabubu bread.:) Anybody willing to help?

bannock bread

well we calls it buckskin bread and I know some people are reluctant to give out their recipe but it is just like frybread just baked in the oven or over the stove.

Make it like a giant biscuit, cause that is what it is.

Comment

I LOVE BANNOCK!! Unfortunately, I don't know how to cook it. My aunt makes the best I have ever eaten and she puts bacon on the bottom of hers instead of greasing the pan and it makes it so YUMMY. The bacon gets all crispy and adds flavor!! Now, I'm hungry again...

Comment

Re: Bannock Bread

Originally posted by siouxmommy
        I was just hoping someone would help me out.

My man is Cree and he is wanting bannock bread. I don't have the slightest idea how to make it. I guess he's tired of Sioux-style frybread and gabubu bread.:) Anybody willing to help?
        *Champion Bannock Baker walks in*.. :sw200::rating10:

Hey siouxmommy! :Wave

Jibby and Oji_Flava... tried really hard to get me to spill my secret recipe.. last nite. Sorry... I've patented my recipe. :Chatter...

All it takes is practise!! If ya know the basic ingrediants for bread, (flour, salt, baking powder) you can make Bannock. The ingrediants might be a lil' different for some folks.... i.e. some might use "lard". Personally, I prefer bannock without the lard.

1. Mix ingrediants
        2. Knead the dough (juss make sure not to knead it for toooo long)
        3. Place in lightly greased pan
        3. bake in oven... turn bannock over once
        4. Enjoy with real butter.. mmmmm

Simple as that.

It might take a few tries to get it juss right... but you'll soon perfect it..
        ~* Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to *~

Comment

Originally posted by ndnmba
          I LOVE BANNOCK!! Unfortunately, I don't know how to cook it. My aunt makes the best I have ever eaten and she puts bacon on the bottom of hers instead of greasing the pan and it makes it so YUMMY. The bacon gets all crispy and adds flavor!! Now, I'm hungry again...
          Really? Bacon... must give it a nice lil' flavour.. I gotta try that out. :D

Comment

Yuuuuuup. Miss Nish def takes the title of Bannock Babe. I was chompin on that on the way over to Oji's.

It had that good ol' Ahnishinaabe flava. Hey Bunz...make sure to bring one on SUnday hehehe.
            Got percap?

Comment

Originally posted by Jibby™
              Yuuuuuup. Miss Nish def takes the title of Bannock Babe. I was chompin on that on the way over to Oji's.

It had that good ol' Ahnishinaabe flava. Hey Bunz...make sure to bring one on SUnday hehehe.
              Of course!!... maybe I can cook supper, too. Well, if you don't mind.. :).. I know you're the queen of the kitchen.. :p

Comment

Originally posted by Miss_Nishnab
                Of course!!... maybe I can cook supper, too. Well, if you don't mind.. :).. I know you're the queen of the kitchen.. :p
                Stay outta my kicthen!!:Yell
                jks

we'll figger something out.
                Got percap?

Comment

Re: Re: Bannock Bread

Originally posted by Miss_Nishnab
                  *Champion Bannock Baker walks in*.. :sw200::rating10:

Hey siouxmommy! :Wave

Jibby and Oji_Flava... tried really hard to get me to spill my secret recipe.. last nite. Sorry... I've patented my recipe. :Chatter...

All it takes is practise!! If ya know the basic ingrediants for bread, (flour, salt, baking powder) you can make Bannock. The ingrediants might be a lil' different for some folks.... i.e. some might use "lard". Personally, I prefer bannock without the lard.

1. Mix ingrediants
                  2. Knead the dough (juss make sure not to knead it for toooo long)
                  3. Place in lightly greased pan
                  3. bake in oven... turn bannock over once
                  4. Enjoy with real butter.. mmmmm

Simple as that.

It might take a few tries to get it juss right... but you'll soon perfect it..
                  Sounds good. You know how to make frybread dough, right? Just a bit less water than what you would normally add .
                  If you want to add lard ( mideh), substitute bacon grease. Just a coupla teaspoons. Don't over do it. Nice flavor.
                  A nice variation would be to add raisins (just a little). Skip the mideh if you do this.
                  Miss Nish has it down pretty good. Keep practicing until you get it right.
                  Oh yeah, after removing from the oven and pan, wrap it while hot in a clean dish towel for 5-6 minutes. This softens the outside.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Bannock Bread

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
                    Oh yeah, after removing from the oven and pan, wrap it while hot in a clean dish towel for 5-6 minutes. This softens the outside.
                    Ohhhhhhh - so that's why my mom does this (my granny did it too!) - my mom still makes the best bannock ever!:D

That likely explains the hockey pucks coming outta my kitchen! :Cry :o

Comment

sounds good

I know this woman who can make her buckskin bread float it is so fluffy and yummy it doesn't really need butter it melts in your mouth and is great for dippin' I am getting hungry now too!

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Comment

If any of you need any Lakota-style recipes just let me know... wojapi, wasna, puppy soup:p just kiddin'!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.