What is to be done with the Wahnahbees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Rat
    Where in the bluest of hell's did my picture come from? I'm going to burn down this entire city...
    on the web site ur in i guess its grand entry
    Oh yeah, I used to know Quentin...He's a real...He's a real Jerky

~Flat Beat~

Comment

I was raised white, and when i , as a child, would ask why I was called a half breed, I was never given a straight answer by my elders.
      My elders lived in the scrub country in North Central florida, near the Oklawaha River.
      Our people have survived in florida for 10,000 years.
      I guess they thought it was better to pass for "white" and stay in the Land of the sun, than to be killed, enslaved, or force marched to a Rez.
      The Potano were a light skinned tribe, and in a state were taned people are all the rage, it was a survival move.
      I mean, I am still in my homeland, no matter what you call me.
      Can I swim like a demon, catch gators, bear, deer, fish and fowl, you bet.
      Can I suvive in the florida wilderness, sure.
      So, i have been taught most of the Potano ways by my elders.
      I was taught values, skills, and history.
      Including how to hide, how to blend in to escape predetors, even human predetors.
      We survived, we blended in, should we have jumped up and said, "Look over here Indian Killers, you missed us" ?
      I understand that my brothers and sisters who cannot pass have suffered a brutal oppression from the Euros.
      It is understandable that they would call me a wahnahbee.
      It is also understandable that it is now time for the Potano to come out and to join our Red Brothers and Sisters out n the open.
      It will take us all a while to get where we should be, can be, but I like our chances of living the Red way, living our way, again.
      I am Casey, and i am a Potano Descedent.
      You can call me anything you would like.
      I will call you anything I want.
      It is the desicions that I make that do more to define me than anything another may say.
      It is the same with you.

I guess I am just a little more sympathetic with the whites, because I look so white.
      I am glad that when I was on my journey, and i am certainly still on that journey, I am glad that I was not discouraged, but encouraged to be the real me.

Maybe there can be a place for all people in the better days ahead.
      Maybe even a place for all people on this board.

I dont have to know you, to be here.
      I want to .
      I want to know you, your tribe, your life.
      In some way, each of us are reflections of others.
      What have I learned about you.
      Well, you are not so different from the epople in my life.
      You are funny, sweet, kind, loving, and all good things.
      you are mean, vengful, and many sad and bad things.
      It is your willingness to be human to each other that is most beautiful .
      I take your sarcasism to person, that is my own fault.
      I will not condemn you for calling people wahnahbees.
      I just want you to better understand the path of those who may be hearing their Indian Blood for the first time.
      The lost have a hard and lonely road.
      The lost are hungry for a familiar fireside, familier voices.

Does any of this , my rambling, make any sense to you.
      Am I helping bring us together?
      ------------------
      " We beseech and demand... that you accept the Church and the Superior Organization of the whole world and recognize the supreme Pontiff, called the Pope, and that in his name you acknowledge the King and Queen... his representatives, as the lords and superior authorities of these islands and main lands...
      If you do not do this, or resort maliciously to delay, we warn you that, with the aid of God, we will enter your land against you with force and will make war in every place and by every means we can and are able, and we will then subject you to the yoke and authority of the church and of their Highnesses.
      We will take you and your wives and children and make them slaves...
      And we will take your property and will do you all the harm and evil we can..."

--The Requerimiento (read by Spanish Conquistadors to the people of the "New World" )

Comment

I am sincere in this question, I am not being sarcastic. How do you hear your indian blood? I am sure this is a poetic image you are invoking, but i do not understand your position. If you were raised Indian then you certainly identify with your culture. Then if you move away or become estranged you may have a longing for it, miss it. But If you have no contact with Indian culture, how do you miss it? Maybe you had contact, know your language etc. maybe a remnant of tribal society remained, I don't know so I cannot judge you. My concern is here are those in this world who bring up spritual identity. They do not identify with thier genetic rootes so they wannabe indians. It smacks of new age hokey pokey. There is no such thing as being a spiritual indian. there is no such thing as genetic memory. Because someones distant ancestors were Indian or german or scottish does not grant special spritual knowledge to them.. You can see where this makes folks uncomfortable. But blood does grant access... you should be free to learn about your ancestral traditions. I have met white people who tell me they were Inidans in a past life. UH.. I know of know traditional, aboriginal, tribal traditions that believed in reincarnation ( maybe there were). Many of us have had to deal with the New Age stuff and It makes us gun shy...Thus the criticism..Ask yourself. Am I an Indian? ( by blood, traditions I guess you can make up your own definition)if yes.
        Learn what you can. You asked for Our definitions and got some good ones.
        Last edited by storm; 02-02-2004, 12:06 PM.
        My bark is worse than my bite

Comment

I am sincere in this question, I am not being sarcastic.

Well, my answer was not to you specifically. But , have you seen people being sarcastic here/
          Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

How do you hear your indian blood?

Havent you heard your Indian blood?
          Mine sounds like... BOOM boom boom boom BOOM boom boom boom

If you were raised Indain then you certainly identify with your culture.

I was just lucky to be raised.

Then if you move away or become estranged you may have a longing for it, miss it. But If you have no contact with Indian culture, how do you miss it?

Well, my path keeps leading me to defending florida, especially sacred waters.

Maybe you had contact, know your languageet. maybe a remnant of tribal society remained, I don't know so I cannot judge.

We aparently have no such remnant of sociaety, but I am always discovering things about my ancestors, so I may find some .

My concern is here are those on this board who bring up spritual identity. It smacks of new age hokey pokey.

HEY, dont EVER knock the Hokey Pokey

There is no such thing as being a spiritual indian. there is no such thing as genetic memory. Because someones ancestors were Indian or german or scottish does not grant special spritual knowledge to them..

Well, you and I must aggree on one thing, that we cannot definitifly state such a thing.

You can see where this makes folks uncomfortable.

TRUE!

But blood does grant access... you should be free to learn about your ancestral traditions.

I have met white people you tell they were Inidans in a past life. UH.. I know of know traditional, aboriginal, tribal traditions that belived in reincarnation ( maybe there were). Many of us have had to deal with the New Age stuff It makes us gun shy...Thus the criticism..

Hey, I am learning to understand this gun shyness.
          I am a 7th generation floridian on my white side, and Potano remnant on my red side.
          I do smirk a little when i hear people say, ' I've been in florida for 20 years, so I'm as good as native."

Just a reminder, there are many paths to truth.
          It is wise to be aware of this.
          ------------------
          " We beseech and demand... that you accept the Church and the Superior Organization of the whole world and recognize the supreme Pontiff, called the Pope, and that in his name you acknowledge the King and Queen... his representatives, as the lords and superior authorities of these islands and main lands...
          If you do not do this, or resort maliciously to delay, we warn you that, with the aid of God, we will enter your land against you with force and will make war in every place and by every means we can and are able, and we will then subject you to the yoke and authority of the church and of their Highnesses.

--The Requerimiento (read by Spanish Conquistadors to the people of the "New World" )

Comment

blah blah blah....

Comment

I was not raised choctaw nor creek.I didn't really bother with the fact that I'm native.On the outside if you are shallow or ignorant I'm sure all you see is black.I am black,choctaw,creek and scottish.Because I was not brought up in native ways does that make me a wannabe?No,I don't think so.I dance at pow wow's,was introduced to the circle last year and am running for princess of Okla Chahta but because I have not been dancing my whole life does that make me a wannabe?NO,I don't think so.If anyone is mixed then they are mixed,period the end.Wannabe to me is someone who is not a native american at all.In cali we have a bunch of hobbiest out here who think that dancing on the weekends and making regalia is a hobby.That's a wannabe to me.A wannabe can be anyshade as well,not just white.Really think about who you call a wannabe and also think of others feelings.
              Err body in da club eatin chips!

A part of me feels so bad but ooh not that bad

Comment

Well said.
                I love all these wise women here.
                Beautiful people, they are.
                ------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Stirbaby
                  Well said.
                  I love all these wise women here.
                  Beautiful people, they are.
                  me too! .. what u said.
                  "When the forest weeps, the Anishinabe who listens will look back at the years. In each generation of Ojibway there will be a person who will hear the si-si-gwa-d, who will listen and remember and pass it on to the children."

"Night Flying Woman"

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X