Please forgive my late introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please forgive my late introduction

Kwe! I have posted here once before looking for some advice, but did not realize there was a place to introduce myself. Please forgive the rudeness/ignorance, as I am not accustomed to online communities and such.
    Some small facts:
    I am Micmac/Abenaki on mom's side, but did not grow up with her. (she left when I was two and my dad raised me; recently found her living in Arizona!)
    Was born in Oklahoma, grew up near Chicago, and now reside near the Gulf Coast.
    Native/Scottish/Welsh on my dad's side, but the Native no one in my dad's family talks about; all the "hush-hush" regarding being ndn.
    I have often been asked "What are you?" because of my brown skin, brown hair, and blue-green eyes. My usual reply is "I'm a human, what are you?" It was hard growing up bi-racial, but it has slowly gotten easier, although occasionally I still feel negativity from some folks I meet.
    I am a proud 40 year old (happily divorced) mom of two teen boys. (do not look my age, I can safely brag!)
    Worked as a correctional officer for the state prison system for 10 years; quit to go back to school. Now attending a university.
    Ummm, I am not sure what else to say! I read the posts and am pleased to see all the positive replies, funny jokes, and obvious care, concern and respect for those who write and share.
    Love the feeling of "Family reunion" when I go to Powwows; don't know how to dance, but want to learn, maybe Jingle or Fancy Shawl.
    Wela'lin!
    Thanks! Hope to meet some great people!

Hello, welcome to the best website in the world...
    working as correctional officer sounds like a ruff job...what are you taking at university?
    90% Angel
    10% Lil Devil

But I've been told it's the other way around!

Comment

Hi! Thanks for the welcome! I am currently a biology major, but am think of switching to history and minoring in bio instead. Will have a better chance of finding employment with a history major at my age; especially where I live where the job market is in sad shape.

Comment

What do you want to work in? You should always follow what you would be happiest in, I wish I had the nerve to go back to school this late in life, I'm 37. I do have to take courses every year to keep my veterinarian tech license up to date...but not quite the same thing.
        90% Angel
        10% Lil Devil

Comment

I want to educate people, but not in a school setting; more like a museum or something of the sort; my big dream is to get a cultural center for the Native community where I live. We have a joke around here: that there are a lot of "closet ndns" that want to connect with the people, but because of the past discriminations encountered, not to mention a lot of phonies, (more on that later) they keep to themselves.

Comment

as for going back to school, go for it! I almost talked myself out of it; you know, "too old, what about finances" etc. Had to put my little family in poverty to do it, but we have always struggled since my divorce, (1989) so it was no big deal. Not to mention I am a lot happier now that I no longer work in a cesspool!
            Last edited by natureluvr; 05-22-2005, 01:05 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Well, I think with my hubby being 51 and already retired from anheuser-Busch, not to mention tryin to send our two boyz thru college that it would be selfish of me, I love what I do and would only use more school as something to learn and not something to have a career in...so I don't go. That sounds like a good idea above about a cultural center...
              90% Angel
              10% Lil Devil

Comment

WELCOME TO THE SITE

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
                When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

Comment

Thanks! This is a good site; very informative and the people in the community seem very nice.

Comment

Welcome to the site

Enjoy your college studies.... whichever route you choose.
                    I'm planning to go back next spring to gt to the next level. It seems someone gave me some misinformation when I was attending the local community college and I thought I only had 1 year of financial aid left... turns out I have 2 years left!

BTW pathwalker - I wouldn't let age deter you from going for college if you really want to go - I didn't. Like naturlyvr, I live in an area that is very depressed economially - 7.6% unemployment for the county (April 2005), and that's just those that are being tracked in the system.

Go for it naturlvr!
                    "Liberty is the one thing you can't have unless you give it to others."
                    ~ Wm A White

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
                    some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
                    some have weird names, & all different colors,
                    but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon

Comment

Welcome to pws! I'm glad to hear that you already enjoy it here. I am also happy that you are back in school. woohoo! Have a great day and fun posting! See ya later
                      "Last night, I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts."
                      -For nightvision like an owl, you'd need eyes the size of a grapefruit!-

Comment

Kwe'! Hello, Singingdeer! Thanks for the welcome! That is good news on the financial aid! I would not be able to afford school if it weren't for that! I am taking 6 hours during the summer, 3 summer I, and 3 summer II, and just tuition and fees alone is over $940.00! Glad to meet a fellow student!

Comment

Hi SideSteppinMom! Thanks for the warm welcome and pat on the back regarding my return to school! Great to meet you! I cracked up over you signature about the blank tape and the mime..............:D

Comment

Financial Aid

Originally posted by natureluvr
                            Kwe'! Hello, Singingdeer! Thanks for the welcome! That is good news on the financial aid! I would not be able to afford school if it weren't for that! I am taking 6 hours during the summer, 3 summer I, and 3 summer II, and just tuition and fees alone is over $940.00! Glad to meet a fellow student!
                            Same here .... and one semester here is $2577! I didn't have a lot of choices about campuses 'cause I can't really relocate att, but one univeristy has a satellite campus about 40 miles from where I live... they have a "learning center" at the local community college, but coursework is very limited and 99% is distance ed from the main campus.
                            "Liberty is the one thing you can't have unless you give it to others."
                            ~ Wm A White

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
                            some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
                            some have weird names, & all different colors,
                            but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon

Comment

Wow!

Originally posted by SingingDeer
                              Same here .... and one semester here is $2577!
                              How many hours is that? Full, 3/4, half?
                              I am fortunate that I live about two miles down the road from the university I attend. It is not the main campus, but a branch, but still very nice! Student population right now is about 8,000.
                              The community college has two campuses, one about a 15 minute drive, and the other about a 25 minute drive. My oldest son goes to the community college.
                              What are you studying?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X