Hey, welcome!

Leave a comment:

• X cheryl X
    replied
    Welcome to powwows,enjoy!!

Leave a comment:

• Eagle Plumes
    replied
    Welcome, enjoy, ask questions that is how we learn and there are no doumb questions when you are really wanting to learn someting, check out all the forums and if you dont see what your wanting make a thread to get them anwsered.

Leave a comment:

• White Eagle
    replied
    Hope you found your Native American history families/Tribes tree in the future.

You can get your grand or great grandparent's birth/death certificate from state of Alabama Capital or other states searching your families tree in Libraries to find out what Native American you have.

I have more information about that in my website forum seen in my signature.

Welcome to the Powwows.com!
    Last edited by White Eagle; 09-07-2006, 03:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stillrezin
    replied
    welcome to the 'place'

enjoy yourself here.

Leave a comment:

• kiowakat
    replied
    welcome to pws.com!!!

Leave a comment:

• sawdoc
    started a topic Hello

Hello

Hi,

My name is Mike and I'm new both to powwows.com and to Native American culture.

Let me tell you a little about myself.

Although I know that I have Native ancestry, I really don't know anything about it.

My paternal grandparents, I know, were orginally from North Carolina.

I am told that they were Cherokee, but we've discovered things since then that make us not so sure about that. We really are not sure what tribe they came from.

My maternal grandfather was at least 50%. He was from Alabama, but around the time of his death, he dropped the bombshell on us that he was born in Canada or upstate New York. We know that his mother was 100%, and have reason to believe that his father had a strong Native ancestry.

Again, because this was not talked about, we really don't know what tribe he came from.

Our native ancestry was never talked about (but then, neither was our Dutch ancestry). It wasn't that it was hidden or a secret, it was just never an issue. It was trotted out as trivia, but that's about it.

One of the things that I've found as I've gotten older is that the older I get (I'm 37 now), the more important it becomes to me to know where I come from and the traditions that led my family and me to where I am now.

I'm not a wannabe and I'm not one of those people to go overboard like I know some people do, but I really do want to learn about those who came before me.

I'm new to all of this, so please be patient if I say something dumb.

I've been interested in all of this for some time now, but didn't know that there was a place like this until I saw the web address on a banner at the Schimitzun at Foxwoods two weeks ago.

I really became interested some years ago when I got to meet Native American artist, Bill Miller, through a friend of mine. He was very encouraging and told me that I should persue it if I was interested. I never did until after my grandfather's death when some "family secrets" came out.

I got to meet a lot of great people there, including a guy named Allenroy, who was very encouraging.

One of my mother's friends, Brinky, was a dancer there.

I'm originally from Alabama, but I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland now. I enjoy fishing, sailing and music.

I look forward to meeting all of you.

Mike

By the way, in case you're wondering, my screenname has no signifigance. It's just taken from the name of a band that I like (Saw Doctors).

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X