• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NorthofAda
    Back where I belong
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by FluteMaker View Post
    ya'know, i never mean to belittle anyone who is of genuine herritage wanting to take part in the culture of that herritage.ive never bought into the quantum idea, i hate the 'im part this and im part that' thing. i think it shows such a degree of self lothing that we subdivide even our own persons. what ever portion or portions of a persons herritage they choose to celebrate is thier own business (or problem,depending on how you look at it) but this chick cracks me up. you cant get too much farther from the us of a than austrailia and still be on dry land. and shes been dreaming of being an indian since she was a kid.
    i couldnt ask for a better example of why i sometimes feel sorry for the cherokee. here you have a people who have been so well documented throughout history that all a person need do is pick up a few books, learn some names and dates, key in on some select slang and boom, nstant ndn.

even with all the jokes i make about the cherokee people, my hat is off to all the true born cherokee who persevere and take the riddicule and abuse brought upon them by the crystal gripping hippie twinkie brigade. i salute you all
    Very well said, Flutemaker!

Yes, it's sad that those of us who are mixed bloods with some Cherokee heritage are almost afraid to mention it because we get that almost instantaneous "wannabe" labeling from full(er) bloods. Doesn't seem to happen with any other tribes, that I know of.

Comment

• timmy tiger
      Head Dancer
      • Aug 2007

Again, Josiah is absolutely right. They will not ask you for money or a specific dollar amount. Now, I have heard of some taking up a collection for a person who has come along way to help people, but that is done by someone else, not the person themselves. I have always been told and it is drilled into me (because of where I live)---If someone asks you for money or tries to charge you for a ceramony, then they are not who they claim to be. Also, if someone comes up to you and says "I can teach you. Follow me." Run like H*** the other way and DON'T LOOK BACK.

FM-I thank you on behalf of my ancestor's, family, friends both in the East and West and anyone in between.

Comment

• timmy tiger
        Head Dancer
        • Aug 2007

Northofada--actually it does happen with other tribes. It's just that it happens more with the Cherokee for many reasons. One reason is because back in history the Cherokee are listed as being the biggest tribe in this country and two because of all the stories and talk about the "Trail of Tears", that gives some their "in" even if they know or were told that they are not Indian at all by their family, they can use that as an excuse that their family "didn't know".

As I said above it is happening with others. Right now there are alot of people who claim to be: Cherokee/Blackfeet--okay so there there is a claim to Cherokee, but there are many now claiming to be Blackfeet alone and there are many that I know of who are claiming to be Ojib/chippewa---I know many people who really are of these nations and some of the Elders and there are many, now, who are learning that way and then a year or so later all you will hear from them is ceramony this or ceramony that and many will say "I'm annishanabe" (spelling?) I can say some of the words, but the spelling is beyond me sometimes.LOL I have seen many people who claim to be of one nation this year, but then a year later, they are something else. But they never mention their ancestor's names. That's what makes me suspecious. Other then that: what you are is what you are and who you are is who you are. That's it.

Comment

• Josiah
          Powwow Dude
          • Jun 2005

Is it Coincidence that you find these charlatans and confidence men and women far from Ndn Country???

That they seek out these "lost souls" and give them excatly what they are seeking. A measure of ndness and then take there money
          Very smooth operators these conpeople of course they have been around for thousands of years

But ask your self these questions
          1) Does it sound too good to be true?
          2) All that I am asking for I am getting?
          3) 500 dollars does not seem high

These should raise imediate flags!!! Hey wait a min should always be your next thought lets look at this

If you truly want to learn about a culture go and visit them
          Reading a tourist guide will only tell you the things the Author thought was important!
          Come to Oklahoma and drive to Tahlequah and see the Hertigage center which will give a look at cherokees 300 years ago
          But to know us today
          Drive North out of town to Gideon or RockyFord
          Or South out to Bunch or Eveningshade
          Or maybe West of town toward Hulbert or out in the woods to Lost City
          Or to Stilwell east of town
          you can drive all 4 directions out of town and hit a Cherokee

Or stay in town and come out to Birdtail where I lived growing up.

Thats where you come to meet a Cherokee and get to know them,

Or
          Cherokee North Carolina

but certainly not in the middle of Kentucky

or

Indiana

or New Hampshire

Sheesh
          ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
          Till I Die!

Comment

• timmy tiger
            Head Dancer
            • Aug 2007

Yes, yes, yes--
            If you truely wish to be a part of a community, you have to be there to participate and help those who need it or offer if anyone needs and listen to those who live there when they talk. Get to know the people who live in the territiories and have lived there for generations. Many of us were pulled away for many reasons as I have stated before (schooling, gov interference, divorce, etc.). And there are so many who are interested in different Native Tribes, the only way to find out----IS NOT IN ANY BOOK--it's by meeting and talking to the people who live it daily and have for generations, not a year or two.

These con people are quit a way from the Tribe when they pull this stuff and if the family finds out, they will take care of it--I found that out personally too. If you have a question ask someone who is of that Tribe what's what and they will set it straight on the spot, many of them will.

Wow, $500 is cheap, I have seen these people charge as much as $1500 for a weekend seminar and that's really crazy. But there are people who pay for it and go, it blows my mind. Many of these people read a book and you can read the same one from the library. But that doesn't make you anymore then they are---FAKES and PHONEY'S.

Comment

• superndngyrl
              hello
              • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
              Is it Coincidence that you find these charlatans and confidence men and women far from Ndn Country???

That they seek out these "lost souls" and give them excatly what they are seeking. A measure of ndness and then take there money
              Very smooth operators these conpeople of course they have been around for thousands of years

But ask your self these questions
              1) Does it sound too good to be true?
              2) All that I am asking for I am getting?
              3) 500 dollars does not seem high

These should raise imediate flags!!! Hey wait a min should always be your next thought lets look at this

If you truly want to learn about a culture go and visit them
              Reading a tourist guide will only tell you the things the Author thought was important!
              Come to Oklahoma and drive to Tahlequah and see the Hertigage center which will give a look at cherokees 300 years ago
              But to know us today

Or stay in town and come out to Birdtail where I lived growing up.

Thats where you come to meet a Cherokee and get to know them,

Or
              Cherokee North Carolina

but certainly not in the middle of Kentucky

or

Indiana

or New Hampshire

Sheesh
              but would you really welcome some touristy type coming up onto your land wanting to look at your cherokee-ness?
              The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

• Josiah
                Powwow Dude
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by superndngyrl View Post
                but would you really welcome some touristy type coming up onto your land wanting to look at your Cherokee-ness?
                HAHAH
                of course
                we charge by the hour
                or photo
                What do you think the Cherokee Holiday attracts every year???
                I heard it was over a 90,000 visitors this year that came to Tahlequah!!

All kidding aside, my point is that you need to go to the area that you would find these tribes and make friends if you are truly serious about finding your roots
                Otherwise...

p/o
                Last edited by Josiah; 09-06-2007, 09:34 PM.
                ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                Till I Die!

Comment

• Tiki
                  wakalapi wacinkte
                  • Jul 2007

sounds iffy to me
                  Last edited by Tiki; 09-17-2007, 05:33 PM.
                  "canunpa wan ci ciaupi ca yanipiktelo" -ptehincala ska wi

Comment

• FluteMaker
                    PowWows.com Addicts
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                    But to know us today

dude......this is pw.c.......you cant swing a dead mother board without hitting a cherokee around here

The older I get the less of a deterrent life without parole gets

Comment

• timmy tiger
                      Head Dancer
                      • Aug 2007

Okay, I'm a little confused about that one.

Josiah is right. If people want to learn about Cherokee's they should go to either OK or NC and find things out first hand. Not read a book written by some idiot that maybe lived with a family for a month or a few months and thinks that they know everything about the life and how to live it and all of that. Many of the people who write stuff up aren't even Cherokee and have never been there or talked with anyone who has ever lived in the Territory. Too many people take a little of this and a little of that and throw it into a pot, stir it up and get SLOP. But this goes for anyone of any Tribal affiliation, they should go to where the tribe is and meet some of the people there and visit and learn about them. There's no big secrets or mystery there, just a normal lifestyle. NOt the hype that so many out there make it to be.

Comment

• Josiah
                        Powwow Dude
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by FluteMaker View Post
                        dude......this is pw.c.......you cant swing a dead mother board without hitting a Cherokee around here
                        Dude! Precisely my point!
                        I know of only two others from my neck of the woods that are on here that can "legitimately" claim Cherokee not some great great grandmother who was ravished
                        But actual Brown Skin Cherokees
                        there is a difference by the way
                        hahaha
                        NOt speaking for NC because they are not my people

Enuff said
                        ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                        Till I Die!

Comment

• Tiki
                          wakalapi wacinkte
                          • Jul 2007

so you have to be dark skinned or you are nothing?? in your opinion is someone who's ancestors aren't on the rolls for some reason not native? sounds messed up if that's what you mean. I hope I misunderstood.

Comment

• Josiah
                            Powwow Dude
                            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Tiki View Post
                            so you have to be dark skinned or you are nothing?? in your opinion is someone who's ancestors aren't on the rolls for some reason not native? sounds messed up if that's what you mean. I hope I misunderstood.
                            Tiki you need to read the entire thread and not try to read into what I was saying true
                            This conversation started 4 or 5 posts ago about Charlatans and CON Artists that prey on People that have no "Legitimate Claim to being Cherokee
                            And these People seem to take up shop FAR from CHEROKEE LANDS to prey on people that are trying to Trace there ROOTS
                            And get charged THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS for there help!

So what I was saying to these peoples that are searching out there roots is go back to the source and find out for themselves
                            They will find no one charging them!!!
                            If you read the over 1200 posts that I have posted on this website you will find out more about where my Opinions lie...
                            Click on my name and then click on Threads Started by Josiah

And if you still disagree with what I am saying
                            Then you are lucky!
                            Because you live in a country where you can have your Opinion...
                            Josiah
                            ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                            Till I Die!

Comment

• Tiki
                              wakalapi wacinkte
                              • Jul 2007

I wasn't disagreeing with you Josiah, I was unsure of what you were saying. Thanks for clearing that up. Yea I read the thread. It does seem like something is off there...

Comment

• redthunder
                                Powwow King
                                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Tiki View Post
                                I wasn't disagreeing with you Josiah, I was unsure of what you were saying. Thanks for clearing that up. Yea I read the thread. It does seem like something is off there...
                                I think a little more than 'something'.

LOL...i love this thread...i gotta come here more often. I wonder what happened to said strumpet.
                                I'm interested more in self determination than gender equity. In other words, changing white men for white woman in the structures of power, does nothing to transform the opression in my community.

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
                                -Captain Jack Sparrow

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.