Hi there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there

I've just joined this forum after googling for info on fan handles. I'm from the UK and we don't have the suppliers of all the stuff for making native crafts here.

I'm white by the way, so I hope I'm not doing anything wrong by making native style crafts, I'd sooner die than cause offence.

I'm sure there's lots of experts here with advice for this novice crafter.
    Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another!

Originally posted by ghostwoman View Post
    I've just joined this forum after googling for info on fan handles. I'm from the UK and we don't have the suppliers of all the stuff for making native crafts here.

I'm white by the way, so I hope I'm not doing anything wrong by making native style crafts, I'd sooner die than cause offence.

What kind of crafts do you make? My Mother used to make Black Ash baskets, she passed away several years ago, and was well known for her baskets, the basket lady. She came from a long line of basket weavers, on both sides of the family. These baskets are made from a tree called the black ash tree, not the white ash, which is similar. I wonder if they have black ash trees in Europe. Basket weaving, from black ash, as well as processing the wood, finding it even, is an art in itself. I was never any good at it, no matter how many years I spend watching my Mother make them. It is also very hard work, especially, the finding, hauling, pounding or processing the wood to get the strips to weave the baskets, best left to the hardy. I couldn't count the number of logs that I have hauled and processed for basket weaving.

I also had family, and had friends of family, who made porcupine quill baskets. I don't know much about these, as I had little to do with making them. I'm sure Europe has porcupines.

You never see any of these types of art or crafts, at any venue, anymore, at least I don't. I have never seen a black ash basket for sale, anywhere. I have several black ash baskets, but they are just for display, and decorations in my home, along with other Native American pictures, and pottery, sculpture. Nothing fantastic, just items we bought at various pow wows and galleries, baskets by my Mother, and other items by local artist, maybe not so local, as we got some items from New Mexico. I did see a quill basket in a Indian art store once, the price for just a small basket was around $5K.

Good luck to you in your craft work, if you decide to ever make baskets, remember that a razor sharp jack knife is essential. Don't ask me to make the handles or you'll get some funny looking handles.

Comment

Hi gtbdave. We have Ash trees but I don't know about black ash. I have seen photos of Native basketwork on the internet and some of them are fantastic, I wouldn't know where to begin.

We don't have porcupines here in the UK, we only have the hedgehog which is a bit like the porcupine's little cousin. I like the look of quillwork and I've read that it's quite difficult and labour intensive. I'm not sure that quills are allowed to be shipped over here to the UK though, the same as wampam shell and ermine tails (all the stuff I want - typical)! It's quite difficult finding alternatives.

Comment

Yes we find it offensive when non-Native people try to imitate, copy or mimic parts of our culture. The wannabes here will all support you, but us NDN's would rather you learn about our culture with out trying to copy it. There are somethings we may share and some we won't. You have your own amazing culture full of talents and arts to learn, and then you could call your work authentic.

Comment

Welcome to Powwows forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here and even finding some native crafts that will help you get ideas about the kind you want to make into crafts. As for me I am not a crafts person. I just love to dance in powwows. So enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
            Yes we find it offensive when non-Native people try to imitate, copy or mimic parts of our culture. The wannabes here will all support you, but us NDN's would rather you learn about our culture with out trying to copy it. There are somethings we may share and some we won't. You have your own amazing culture full of talents and arts to learn, and then you could call your work authentic.
            Thank you SuzzeQ4 for your candid honesty.

Originally posted by DeafToniB View Post
            Welcome to Powwows forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here and even finding some native crafts that will help you get ideas about the kind you want to make into crafts. As for me I am not a crafts person. I just love to dance in powwows. So enjoy!
            Hello DeafToniB, thank you for the warm welcome.

Comment

Welcome, Ghost Woman.
              I'm new here, myself.
              I was born in Australia, & raised here in Yankland; so don't worry about being the only white person here.
              My friend Nel (who is NA) invited me here.
              She know quite a bit about NA crafts, so don't hesitate to ask her any questions about it; she's really nice.
              Just don't ask me about NA crafts; I don't know much about it.
              I'm still learning, myself.
              For example, how to make frybread.
              That stuff is awesome.
              I prefer it taco-style.
              I'm not responsible for my actions, I just do what the voices tell me to do.

Comment

Hello Bodica, thanks for the welcome. I did find a frybread recipe once and tried it and loved it.

Comment

Hello Bodica, thanks for the welcome. I did find a frybread recipe once and tried it and loved it.
                  How did you have it?
                  Taco-style, pizza-style, or just all by itself?

Comment

Originally posted by Bodica View Post
                    How did you have it?
                    Taco-style, pizza-style, or just all by itself?

the recipe was just the frybread by itself and it was great so long as you ate it immediately, it didn't keep well.

Comment

the recipe was just the frybread by itself and it was great so long as you ate it immediately, it didn't keep well.
                      'I guess mine came out a little differently.
                      I altered the recipe, a little.
                      Well, I've got to go, now.
                      Bye, Ghostwoman.

Comment

Welcome, Ghost Woman.

My friend Nel (who is NA) invited me here.
                        She know quite a bit about NA crafts, so don't hesitate to ask her any questions about it;
                        I do??? lol! I know a few things, but not much. I get all my expertise from Okwataga, who is also very nice.

she's really nice.
                        Yes, I am nice. = )

Welcome, Ghost Woman!

Comment

Originally posted by neling4 View Post
                          I do??? lol! I know a few things, but not much. I get all my expertise from Okwataga, who is also very nice.

Yes, I am nice. = )

Welcome, Ghost Woman!

lol thank you Neling

Comment

lol thank you Neling
                            Nel's being modest; you should see what a cool NA shawl she made.
                            And greetings once again from across the pond.
                            Who says Irish & Poms can't get along, eh?

Comment

hi i am new here also.

can someone tell me where i can find JD?

welcome

...GoT GreaSe?...

www.Grease.It.Ayye.com
                              RezinInc

sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X