Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasichu
    replied
    Sorry, I disappeared for awhile... my internet connection is never stable for more than a short while at a time, grr. But thanks again for the welcomes in :)

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
    whats knot work and can we see a pic?
    This is a good example(not my work, but a friend's!):

Knotwork has been an art form since the Roman days, but it slowly made its way into Celtic/Gaelic culture long before the coming of Christianity in those parts. For the Celtics at least, the knots are often intricately drawn or molded into a circle, a sacred symbol to the Europeans as well, with every single part of the knot connecting to another, making an endless loop, symbolic of eternity and the connection between all living things. Its a beautiful artform, and really difficult to perfect... but I'm trying, haha!

I have been looking at the calender to see what might be happening anywhere near me... I live in the middle of Pittsburgh, not much happens around here, period Hopefully when I have the means to travel I can move around a little!

I've already learned a good bit and had a few questions answered just by browsing the forum and reading others' posts... this is a nice place :) My brain's fallen asleep before I have and I can't think of anything to add/ask here at the moment... but its nice meeting everyone here, and I'm hoping to be a little more active here in the future, haha.
    Last edited by Wasichu; 03-10-2009, 03:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ~Journey~
    replied
    welcome,

I find the chit chat forum very informative...LOL

Leave a comment:

• Asmajol
    Guest replied
    Check out Calender for events near you :)

Welcome to Forums

Leave a comment:

• SuzzeQ4
    replied
    puttong the shoe on the other foot...

whats knot work and can we see a pic?

Leave a comment:

• DeafToniB
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
    How in the heck was I sposed to know what u were..I didn't see a pic!

And if you wanna learn more...go somewhere where there's a large NDN population. act like ur lost and ask if you can mingle. Now that's the way to learn about NDN people!!! LOL
    That is exactly the right way to let the white woman mingle among native people in their community in her area. I do the same to hearing people to mingle among the Deaf community in her/his area and he/she can learn a lot about Deaf people. Anyway, she said she does not know how she got into the forum but she was glad she did so what is it that she want to learn from us about.

Leave a comment:

• Joe's Dad
    replied
    Originally posted by Wasichu View Post
    White gal And thanks for the welcome!

hahaha, practicing the trades of my own people is enough for me! I just want to learn about NDN stuff for the sake of knowing more about it.
    How in the heck was I sposed to know what u were..I didn't see a pic!

And if you wanna learn more...go somewhere where there's a large NDN population. act like ur lost and ask if you can mingle. Now that's the way to learn about NDN people!!! LOL

Leave a comment:

• DeafToniB
    replied
    Originally posted by Wasichu View Post
    Hi everybody I actually don't remember how I found this forum, but I'm glad I did!

Its probably obvious by now that I'm white xD But I'm looking to learn about Native history, culture and traditions... a task I'd pretty much given up on, because for every geniune article or unbiased book you come upon, there's a whole mountain of nonsensical bullplop to counter it and throw you off. Again, I'm glad to have found this forum! I'm bound to ask a lot of questions, bear with me And hoping to meet friends along the way!

My own heritage is Scottish, my clan being Kerr, which back in the good old(or bad) days was a war-clan on the border territory between Scotland and England. I'm involved in learning crafts and trades of my culture, namely Celtic knotwork and woodcarving/etching... eh, I'm not so good at either yet. But I've got the time for improvement!

I'm babbling... but I hope to get to know everyone a little better!
    Welcome to Powwows.com.

Hi, I am Deaf from birth. I have been in powwows since I was fifteen years old (I feel vibrations from the Drums when I danced as long as I tried to stay close to the cirlce of the Drums). I have Cree and Cherokee heritage from both of my parents. I am living in First Nation Reserve with my husband who is Ojibwe. You will be fine and you can learn about our native issues, dancing in powwows, arts, crafts, native fashion and native food (Taco, Fried Bread and etc.). I hope you enjoy staying with us as long as you respect us natives. I hope to see you around.

Leave a comment:

• tanner
    replied
    Hello white lady lol welcome to the forums. My own heritage is Native American and my mother side is Black Irish.

May the Great Spirit Bless you

Take Care
    Tann

Leave a comment:

• Wasichu
    replied
    White gal And thanks for the welcome!

hahaha, practicing the trades of my own people is enough for me! I just want to learn about NDN stuff for the sake of knowing more about it.

Leave a comment:

• Joe's Dad
    replied
    Will somebody say hi to the white guy?

You're better off sticking to learning the Celtic stuff. That NDN stuff gets rugged!

Hi and welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Wasichu
    started a topic Hi

Hi

Hi everybody I actually don't remember how I found this forum, but I'm glad I did!

Its probably obvious by now that I'm white xD But I'm looking to learn about Native history, culture and traditions... a task I'd pretty much given up on, because for every geniune article or unbiased book you come upon, there's a whole mountain of nonsensical bullplop to counter it and throw you off. Again, I'm glad to have found this forum! I'm bound to ask a lot of questions, bear with me And hoping to meet friends along the way!

My own heritage is Scottish, my clan being Kerr, which back in the good old(or bad) days was a war-clan on the border territory between Scotland and England. I'm involved in learning crafts and trades of my culture, namely Celtic knotwork and woodcarving/etching... eh, I'm not so good at either yet. But I've got the time for improvement!

I'm babbling... but I hope to get to know everyone a little better!

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.