Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all. My name is Shalita and I am new to the group. I was adopted 33 years ago and I just found out about 8 years ago that my biological mother is Native American/African American; her father, my grandfather, is Haliwa-Saponi. Very little information was given to me regarding them. I hope that by joining this group, I can learn some new and interesting things about the Native American cultures and hopefully make some new friends.

Hi and welcome.

If you go to powwows in NC, maybe we'll run into each other sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by nadon1 View Post
      Hello all. My name is Shalita and I am new to the group. I was adopted 33 years ago and I just found out about 8 years ago that my biological mother is Native American/African American; her father, my grandfather, is Haliwa-Saponi. Very little information was given to me regarding them. I hope that by joining this group, I can learn some new and interesting things about the Native American cultures and hopefully make some new friends.

Hi Shalita! Welcome to powwows.com. Hope I can share a little advice with you.

Don't worry about learning interesting things abut NDN culture. Learn about yourself first! The Saponi office is located in Hollister, NC. Start there and find your family. The interesting culture of the Saponis and other east coast tribes is a different interesting culture of the tribes in other regions of the country, Canada and Mexico.

Hope you enjoy yourself here!

JD

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Hi I was adopted too. My best advice is to go to that office that JD mentioned. You'll make friends here but the learning you gotta do in person. Keep in mind that lots of us were adopted so your not alone. Be patient when learning. Learn from the people, go to cultural centers.
        At the Saponi office ask about their powwow. Watch out for white people callin themselves shaman. Watchout for NDN's with white followers. Sometimes it feels like it isn't easy. But it's worth it. Again, be patient, your learning what some have spent their life learning, and it's the key to avoiding the fakes.
        Learning involves getting out there and meeting people. Not just elders, but all the people cause by becomming part of the community around you , you will leaarn the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
          Hi Shalita! Welcome to powwows.com. Hope I can share a little advice with you.

Don't worry about learning interesting things abut NDN culture. Learn about yourself first! The Saponi office is located in Hollister, NC. Start there and find your family. The interesting culture of the Saponis and other east coast tribes is a different interesting culture of the tribes in other regions of the country, Canada and Mexico.

Hope you enjoy yourself here!

JD
          Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
          Hi I was adopted too. My best advice is to go to that office that JD mentioned. You'll make friends here but the learning you gotta do in person. Keep in mind that lots of us were adopted so your not alone. Be patient when learning. Learn from the people, go to cultural centers.
          At the Saponi office ask about their powwow. Watch out for white people callin themselves shaman. Watchout for NDN's with white followers. Sometimes it feels like it isn't easy. But it's worth it. Again, be patient, your learning what some have spent their life learning, and it's the key to avoiding the fakes.
          Learning involves getting out there and meeting people. Not just elders, but all the people cause by becomming part of the community around you , you will leaarn the most.
          Ditto what they said!! LOL

Have fun on the site, and see you in threads!!
          I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

Welcome to Powwows.com. I hope you can find your heritage what you looking for. It is also hard to look for your status, when you are lost, not knowing where to look for. Don't give up and keep trying. Good luck. I also hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here.

Comment

hi shalita welcome to the site.

tons of pictures and video round here.
              thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

Good advice was given.

Haliwa-Saponi powwow was last month, but Occaneechi band is coming up in June.

Quite a few Saponi people on here that you might meet along the way. Good luck with your search.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X