Optin Monster

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduction

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Introduction

    Hello, I am Robert. I live in Bakersfield. I am new to this site. We have the Standing Bear Pow wow here. I have read a few of the posts here and responded to one of them. Then realized I was not being polite by not introducing myself first. So I took the time to read about how this site operates. I hope to meet other people and talk with as many people as possible. See you soon.

  • #2
    Welcome to the insanity of PWs.com!!
    I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Welcome to the Powwow.com. I have not been post much, but I come here now and then just to check how everything is going on. And if I want to say something about a certain topic for discussion, then I will post it. I love to powwow. We have powwows on the island here and on the mainland every chance my husband and I get to go. I do hope you find lots of wonderful things here on the forum. Just jump in and discuss anything you like to post on. I hope to see you around.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you for the contact, DeafToniB. You are way up there in the beautiful north country! I have always dreamed about going to Canada or Alaska. I like to be outdoors when my bones permit. I used to be stationed in Wyoming. I use to go to the North Platt River at Crow Creek where the old stone fireplace remains. There, I would be alone with just a couple of friends. We would go our own way for most of the day to absorb everything that was before us. We would be up around 10,000, maybe 11,000 feet. I fed many a wild animal up there. I never really tried to kill anything, except the mountain lion that tracked us out off the river once. But he left us alone. Very cool! What is a deaf elder dancer? I hope this is OK to ask. I live with my wife, son, daughter, and grand daughter. All of us enjoy outdoors more than inside. I do not think there is another Standing Bear pow wow here the rest of the year. I will have to find one close after I recover from my knee replacement. Again, thank you for the contact. Hope to tell you about our next pow wow. See you soon. Robert
        Last edited by ihavenotbeennamed; 06-18-2009, 01:47 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thank you for the contact, Soopashinaap. I like to speak with people about different topics. I came across Pow Wows.com by accident. I was looking for the Standing Bear pow wow here in town. Paul G. gave me a hand and I now have contact information. The first Standing Bear pow wow we came across just driving around the college one night. It was during a fabulous sunset and we found the Standing Bear pow wow in progress. We went in and just observed. While pow wows are held in public places I did not feel it was ok to start asking a bunch of questions in the middle of that pow wow. I figure I can do that here. Hope so, anyway. smiles. I like your slogan. lol. Seems most people hear have a slogan or quote of some kind. Very cool. I like this place. Well, brother, have a great night. I am having my knee replaced this Friday so I might be off site a little while. Keep me in your prayers for a full recovery. See you soon. Robert
          Last edited by ihavenotbeennamed; 06-18-2009, 01:50 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ihavenotbeennamed View Post
            Thank you for the contact, DeafToniB. You are way up there in the beautiful north country! I have always dreamed about going to Canada or Alaska. I like to be outdoors when my bones permit. I used to be stationed in Wyoming. I use to go to the North Platt River at Crow Creek where the old stone fireplace remains. There, I would be alone with just a couple of friends. We would go our own way for most of the day to absorb everything that was before us. We would be up around 10,000, maybe 11,000 feet. I fed many a wild animal up there. I never really tried to kill anything, except the mountain lion that tracked us out off the river once. But he left us alone. Very cool! What is a deaf elder dancer? I hope this is OK to ask. I live with my wife, son, daughter, and grand daughter. All of us enjoy outdoors more than inside. I do not think there is another Standing Bear pow wow here the rest of the year. I will have to find one close after I recover from my knee replacement. Again, thank you for the contact. Hope to tell you about our next pow wow. See you soon. Robert

            I have to admit I don't have a traditional outfit (someday I will have it) to dance in but when the announcer say it is time for us, who are not into traditional outfits, can dance with them. I danced on the powwow grounds outdoor on the islands and mainland and sometime indoor like the Gathering of Nations in Albuquerque, New Mexico or the Sudbury Powwow in Sudbury, Ontario. I am very good at dancing the two steps. For me being Deaf, which mean I can not hear the sound too good at all even with my one hearing aid on the left side of my ear (totally deaf on my right ear). It sounds muffled, I think. Anyway, I can feel the vibration from the Drums which was very loud and I danced close enough to feel the beat of the Drums. I am Cree and my husband is Ojibwe.

            Comment


            • #7
              Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy all the endless resources on here ^_^

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DeafToniB View Post
                I have to admit I don't have a traditional outfit (someday I will have it) to dance in but when the announcer say it is time for us, who are not into traditional outfits, can dance with them. I danced on the powwow grounds outdoor on the islands and mainland and sometime indoor like the Gathering of Nations in Albuquerque, New Mexico or the Sudbury Powwow in Sudbury, Ontario. I am very good at dancing the two steps. For me being Deaf, which mean I can not hear the sound too good at all even with my one hearing aid on the left side of my ear (totally deaf on my right ear). It sounds muffled, I think. Anyway, I can feel the vibration from the Drums which was very loud and I danced close enough to feel the beat of the Drums. I am Cree and my husband is Ojibwe.
                Hi ToniB, Please forgive me. I am not assuming anything being new to this Native American website. I did not know that you are deaf, as in hearing loss. Music, sweet music, it transcends all of us, every part of all of us, weather we have hearing or not, seeing or not, healthy bones or not. Music is a language all it's own. Music does not know race or color or heritage. When we hear it we, as a human being, respond by natural instinct as the Creator made us. It is way cool that you dance. Do all of the dances of Native Americans relate to something in particular? I do not know of any native dances from my heritage. I am sure that there must be some, though. I am listening to "Music from a Painted Cave" just now. The first song is called "The Dance". Brother Mirabel is quite special. You are so special and fortunate to have a heritage and culture that uses music to sing and dance for various types of celebrations.
                Well, thank you for speaking with me again. I am enjoying our conversations. I will not be able to answer for about one or two weeks. In five or six hours I will be under the knife for total knee replacement. When I do not answer back right away do not think I have stopped speaking with you; it will be kinda hard to get to the computer for a short while.
                Are the Cree and Ojibwe from Canada or from the States down here?
                Thank you and may you be granted what you ask for in prayer. See you soon. Robert.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Asmajol View Post
                  Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy all the endless resources on here ^_^
                  Hello, and thank you, Asmajol. I am learning there are many resources here for one to use and have fun. I am reading some of the topics covered by Natives that seem to relate just to Natives. Seeing how I do not know about any one Native American heritage or culture I refrain from any comment. I have a bad habit of talking too much. Within the confines of this website, however, I am learning there is peace in silence. A little hard to get use to, but, very refreshing. This was the way I was at the two Standing Bear pow wows I observed. No reason for me to say anything. I was privileged to be a guest at those pow wows. Just because admission is charged and it is held at a public place does not give me the right to interfere with another man's gathering. I was wondering if you could help me with something. What does NDN stand for? I am a white man from Spanish and Italian heritage. What words and terms are proper for me to use? Would you help me with these questions or are there other places/forums here that answer these questions?
                  Thank you again for the contact. I am having total knee replacement so I will be away from the computer for a short while. See you soon. Robert.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The Ojibwe people are both in the U/S. as well as Canada. As for the word NDN... just say it, and the "word" is evident!!

                    Lemme know if you get it or not.
                    Last edited by soopashinaab; 06-19-2009, 10:16 AM.
                    I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

                    Comment

                    Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                    Loading...

                    Trending

                    Collapse

                    There are no results that meet this criteria.

                    Sidebar Ad

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X