Intro and some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro and some questions

Hi, my name is Erica. I'm Scottish, Swedish and Anishinaabe... I just happened upon this site and thought I'd check it out :)

As for the questions... no one in my family practices, or really even knows anything about our traditions or culture. My mom was brought up Christian, as was my grandmother... so there's no chance for me to learn about my Native heritage from my family, and I'm really not sure where else I could turn to learn even basic things. There aren't a whole lot of books out there on the Ojibwe nation, hehe, and while there's a lot on the internet, I'm never sure whats true and what's not xD So this seemed like a good place to turn to just learn general information, or get pointed in the right direction so I can on my own. Could anyone tell me anything about Anishinaabe history, the language, stories and traditions, culture... I'd like to have some grasp of this part of my heritage, and I know I never fully will... I'll never be involved in sacred ceremonies or speak the language or dance, but I'd like to have some knowledge of who this part of me is :) Any help is appreciated.

hi, hope you enjoy the site. If people knew the general area you lived in they coulf point you in the right direction to go, also where your family is from would help...good luck

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! If its any help, I grew up in Redwood Falls(MN) and my family is still there... but right now I'm in Pittsburgh for school.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• CrispytheCityChicken
        Have I "Earned the Right"?
        by CrispytheCityChicken
        Hi, uhm, this is my first post.

Short Version:

I feel like I haven't earned the right to call myself Native yet because I haven't contributed to the community at all and don't have the same kind of struggle darker skinned Natives have.

Long Version:...
        08-02-2021, 02:56 AM
      • jwhitley
        I'm new here! A little about me....
        by jwhitley
        Hello everybody!
        I'm new here! My name is Jennifer and I moved to Tennessee from Oklahoma. I've been married for 5 years, and have a 19 month old son. I love working on cars, plaing music, cooking, reading, and making jewlery.
        Anyways, I'm Choctaw and I'm trying to learn more about my...
        03-06-2008, 10:48 AM
      • 2lineCarrandMorgan
        DNA testing
        by 2lineCarrandMorgan
        Hello all,

im bring this to powwows , i have many friends here and i have grown to trust yall ways in being state with ppl,
        im fixing to put a cotton swab to the inside of my cheek to look for answers of my familys history we have much oral history but no pappers to back up our claims,the...
        04-28-2009, 11:38 AM
      • samenulali
        Identity Confusion
        by samenulali
        Hello,

I apologize for making one of these types of threads, but I would really appreciate advice in this anonymous setting.

Lately I am feeling like I should give up everything regarding my native identity. I have done these things since I was seven, learning languages,...
        07-26-2021, 09:59 PM
      • HyperAware
        A Little Lost
        by HyperAware
        My name is Anastasia Benson and I'm hoping to learn more about my Native Ancestry from my great grandmother's side of the family and gain a level of connection with that heritage. I'm also hoping to better understand the world from the Native point of view and have hopes of accurately depicting Native...
        05-19-2017, 04:51 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X