going to college, trying to find drum/dance group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going to college, trying to find drum/dance group

I have been out of the circle for a while, with college apps and other school things, but now I'm going to college and I want to get back into it. I'll be going to USC this fall in LA and was wondering if anyone knew a drum group over there. I'm from Texas, so all the songs I know are southern style, mostly Ponca. I also fancy feather and have a new set of regalia going since i grew out of my last one. I'm not familiar enough with the tribal affiliations over there to know who to contact, much less what kind of powwows take place.

PS. Does anyone know the info for the Indian Center in LA?
    Last edited by tgoedecke; 07-18-2009, 11:52 PM. Reason: reply prompted it

Welcome to Powwows.com. Congratulation on going to college in LA, California. I am very happy that you have kept up with your traditional dancing and drumming so don't lose them. I used to live in California years ago and I have not attended the powwows there and I don't know of any drums group in LA. When you get there, maybe you can check at the Indian Center or look up in the phone book for native organization. That is my quess and my opinion. I am sorry that I could not help you in this matter. I hope you find something that you are looking for. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around.

Comment

SCIC is having a 1 dayer on Saturday Aug 1st if you're already in town.

A lot of the indians in LA are tribes from oklahoma that did the relocation. Same types of tribes that are in Dallas area. There's some Otoes, cheyennes, poncas etc... plus there's tons of Cali indians.

The pow-wow scene in Cali starts in September. Beginning Labor Day weekend with Barona and continuing on.

If you don't meet anyone in LA at the university just show up in your gear at a pow-wow and start chatting.
      The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

i think this site will be doing a live webcasst at the Morongo powwow.. so find ur way ova there and shake it
        thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X