Greetings from a bored beader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from a bored beader

Hello everyone, here is a little relevant background from me: I currently live in Southern New Mexico, but was born and raised in Western Oklahoma. Growing up in OK, I went to Red Earth the first ten years or so they had that... I never danced or anything, but I always liked to go. I went to a few other pow wows out at Concho and stuff, but I was young so don't remember that very well. Now I live in New Mexico, I sometimes go to Gathering of the Nations, but I hate the venue. I love all dance styles, but especially the shawl dancers; it's been crazy to see how much their regalia has changed over the years! THE COLORS, lol! I love it. <3

Anyway, I come from a looooong line of Southern Cheyenne beaders, and know my way around a beading needle to be sure, but I didn't get to grow up in the pow wow scene, so I don't know anything about crafting contemporary regalia. I learned my mom's beading technique, style, colors, patterns, etc., and she learned from her mom and grandma, who learned from their mothers and grandmothers, and so: my beadwork is a bit TOO traditional. (AKA it's stuffy and old-fashioned, lol.)

This forum seems friendly, even to those of us who aren't FBI, so I'm hoping to make friends and get some advice that will bring my beadwork into the 21st century! Thanks for reading. :)
    Last edited by bluebelle; 03-05-2012, 07:17 AM. Reason: Lol, wrong emoticon.

Hello, and welcome to pws.com. Not a thing wrong with stuffy and old fashion lol you keep up the good work so these ways will make it to another generation. But I will agree it is nice to bead other ways with other colors and designs once and a while . That is one of the many reasons I enjoy beading for other people that gives me a chance to bead something different once in a while. pLease enjoy the site look around we have alot to offer :)
    I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Thank you for the welcome, Eagle Plumes! The site seems amazing so far, I'm bummed I didn't find it sooner.

Comment

Comment

Hi welcome.
          sigpic<--- I'm not Short I'm fun sized.
          When life gives you lemons throw them back and tell it to make its' own ******* (fill in the blank) lemon aid.

Sometimes the cup is have empty, Sometimes it is half full. I just want to know who keeps drinking my .

Comment

good morning
            "I'm learning to accept the things that are beyond my control,
            and working on improving the things that are." -RBTF

Comment

Hello and welcome to Powwows.com, [MENTION=145986]bluebelle[/MENTION] ! Feel free to browse, post, create, and you certainly are more than welcome to jump in on any of the many discussions going on here on our forums. Be sure to check our amazing selection of ever-growing articles, photos, videos, and information pages. Don't forget to cool off at the Red Horse Cafe, located in the Chit-Chat forums, with a little digital food and hilarious banter!

Don't forget to join us for our live webcasts from several of the biggest powwows in ndn country. The first one we will be broadcasting from is Gathering Of Nations from April 26th to the 28th 2012! There will be a live stream and a live blog for chatting and commenting and Facebook based chat window as well. These webcasts and chats are always a fun time.
              CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
              sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Hey there! Welcome to Powwows.com
                It is what it is. I am who I am. I say what I say. I think what I think. I love what I love.

Comment

Thanks for such a warm welcome, everybody! I feel right at home already. :)

Comment

old fashioned? stuffy? I thought it was called "traditional"....lol Welcome welcome welcome...see you on the boards :)
                    sigpic This is how I dance when your standing next to me...

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."

Comment

Welcome to the site! Have fun posting :)
                      Make sure to post on the books thread http://www.powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=62514

And look, a Stitch smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy_truckin_NDN View Post
                        old fashioned? stuffy? I thought it was called "traditional"....lol Welcome welcome welcome...see you on the boards :)
                        Traditional is what you call it til you've crafted your 50th barrette or necklace with the same chevron, triangle, or back-to-back K design... Then you start callin in something else, lol. Don't get me wrong I love my family's style, but I'm ready to try some new technique! Thanks for the kind welcome. :)

Thanks to everybody who's stopped to say welcome or hi, left me comments, and gave me beads... I've been on other message boards/forums before, but this one's set up much differently than most, so I'm still getting the hang of it. This is also about the nicest online community I ever saw, so thanks for being so friendly!

Comment

Hi and welcome (from a Northern Cheyenne beader). Have you tried looming for a change of pace? It's easy to get the hang of and there are some nice Cheyenne patterns.
                          Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Very nice to meet a cousin from the North! Yes, I love the loom! I think it's one of the best ways to get a design from out of your heart and into the world. <3 When my mom passed I inherited her large loom, it's like, 5 inches wide or something crazy, lol... I haven't messed with it yet, but plan to make a serious belt with it.

I'm hoping to move from small projects with fairly straightforward, repetitive designs to bigger, more challenging stuff with more complex patterns. Honestly, I have my heart set on making a pair of moccs and possibly leggings, and am trying to work on a design with kind of a layered look... Perhaps a larger central design with smaller elements peeking out from behind it and surrounding it? It's all in the conceptual phase for now, lol, but I have big ideas and I love to learn.

Comment

Hello, I would love to see some of your work we have some out of this world beaders on this site and we love seeing pics

Theres a few cuzins on here eeeeeeeee. Im southern Cheyenne, id name the others but at this time of the am dont want o be rude and leave anybody out lol but theres more lol.
                              I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.