Newbie needs some info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needs some info

Hey all! I'm new here and was just having a look around. I've noticed alot of mention of "cards" here and there. I don't have one, so don't bother with all that. I was raised knowing my heritage of Lumbee & Cherokee as well as Scotch Irish. If you have to know my pedigree, my grandfather on my father's side was Lumbee, and my mother's side? *shrugs* Somewhere about 3 generations back there was "Big Mama" who was full-blooded Cherokee. As to her real name, I haven't a clue. I spent my summers as a child playing at the Okunoluftee Village with my dad's cousin, we grew bead plants in the back yard, and I've always had a pair of moccosins by my bed from as far back as I can remember, but all that aside, I've got some questions! Part of the reason I joined this site was to learn why it is that my son (who's father is 1/2 Cherokee) can dance at pow wows without question and when people look at me, there's no doubt as to my ancestry due to my facial structure, etc....but when it comes to me wanting to display my artwork, it's "Where's your card?" My dad could most likely help me if I were to really want one, but being I live out in Arkansas now and am probably the ONLY Lumbee in the state, I don't think that'd really be acceptable to tribal elders. Anybody out there have any advice? I know I sound kinda pissed off and my apologies for that, but I kinda am. I'm tired of being termed as "wannabe". I'm Tuscorora (Lumbee/Cherokee). My parents saw to it that I KNEW where I came from but it seems that more and more I have to PROVE it! Help?!
    "These days people seek knowledge, not wisdom. Knowledge is of the past, wisdom is of the future" (Lumbee)

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• sbarnes88
    Belt Buckles Front or Back?
    by sbarnes88
    Hello everyone! I'm hear to learn so if some of my questions seem a little on the dumb side please forgive me.
    Ok, I live in TN where everyday I get told something I should or should not be doing based one what "my clan and ancestors told me to tell you" there is very few here who...
    11-17-2010, 08:22 AM
  • BlueWolfSpirit
    My Grandmother and lost heritage
    by BlueWolfSpirit
    I tell you my story because I would honestly like some thoughtful feedback about this. Perhaps someone else has been in my situation and knows more about it...

My mother and father divorced when I was 9. Visitation was sporadic and by the time I was 15, I had a step-father and my birth...
    08-29-2006, 12:37 AM
  • APACHEFIRE
    AMERICAN AIRPORTS V/S NDN's
    by APACHEFIRE
    ok, heres the deal. ever since 9/11 i have been regularly pulled from line to be frisked and all my traditional items poked through.

now i understand about the safety of everyone and all that, but when it comes to my medicine bag and other special items, what legal recourse can i take?...
    06-26-2008, 12:26 AM
  • Agaliha Tsiwodi
    White Cherokee, out of place??
    by Agaliha Tsiwodi
    I'm half Cherokee (father) and half Irish (mother). That's a huge contrast.... my mother had extremely fair skin and firey red hair. Unfortunately, I got mostly mom's genes. I have light olive-toned skin (not as fair as hers), and light brown hair. I've been hassled for years by people whenever I say...
    02-19-2009, 05:15 AM
  • MixedIndian
    What do Full Blood NDN'S think about Mixed NDN's??
    by MixedIndian
    Hi all, I was just wondering how people feel about situations concernig this topic. I am part Choctaw and part Cherokee, and at least one other tribe that has not been confirmed, and when you add that all makes me about 1/4 Native in general. I just found out about the Choctaw line a couple years ago....
    11-18-2006, 09:24 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X