Greetings from a 'displaced' Rosebud Sioux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from a 'displaced' Rosebud Sioux

Hello all! I am happy to have found this site not only for the outstanding music channel but for the sense of community with my native brothers and sisters which I have been seeking.
    I was born on the Rosebud Res in central SD and spent my formative years just north of Rosebud in Norris, SD. After completing my education in Rapid City, I ventured out to Denver and entered the work force as a Restaurant Server, which led to several restaurant managerial positions throughout the country. While I can't say I broke bread with many people from around the world, I can say if it were not for me they would not have enjoyed the fruits of labor from some of the most talented chefs in the country. I have lived in many large metro areas including Denver, Atlanta, Orlando/Jax/Tampa, Chicago before finally settling down in NYC.
    A few years ago I became disabled and was forced into an early retirement, so now my days are spent at home with my spouse and our 'son' a Golden Retriever, Frazer. My family still lives in SD and I return there occasionally, but as my mother ages it is becoming apparent that I need to travel back home more often.
    I recently had to have a pacemaker installed to keep my old, weathered heart beating and that in itself was a life changing experience for me. There is nothing like having a heart beat of 30 knowing the lowest possible rate on record is 28 bpm to get you to appreciate all our Great Spirit has blessed one with.
    It might be somewhat a coincidence that I begin searching for Lakota music to allow me to return to my culture and heritage shortly after I got out of the hospital. It is so easy to take life for granted until you come that close to being reunited with your family members who have made that last great journey to be with our maker.
    My Unchi was a major presence, along with my beautiful mother in my life and both of these women have instilled in me the values, traditions and heritage that separate us from our non-native brothers and sisters. When Unchi was with us here on earth, she was among the strongest and wisest women I had ever known. Her drive, strength and determination not to have her spirit broken made her an outstanding influence in my life. She was considered one of the last remaining traditional Sioux Indian women who was so full of wisdom, empathy and compassion. Thanks to her, my aunts and my mother I have lived what I consider to be a life unequaled. I recall many of my tribal elders, medicine men and leaders visiting her in hopes of having her courage and wisdom bestowed upon them. She was the last word on anything Lakota and will always be remembered for her unblemished character and integrity. I can honestly say without her and my mothers combined guidance, I would not be the person I am today.
    Among my many interests and hobbies are ANYTHING Lakota...music, dance and powwowing, architecture, design, home improvement, extensive travel (I've been to 48 of our 50 states), fine dining and of course, politics. Animals of all kinds fascinate me as I think they hold much more intelligence than we give them credit for. I have always had a canine companion and my current buddy is a 9 yo Golden Retriever who adopted us as his family when his 'father' passed on unexpectedly a few years ago.. In his eyes I see nothing but compassion and never ending love. Anyone who shares my love of animals can do no wrong.
    So there is a bit about me! I look forward to getting to know all of you over the coming years. I might come off as harsh in my postings sometimes, but beneath that anonymous exterior lies a very understanding and never judgmental person who has a life time of experience to share.
    "Sometimes the character of the opposition defines why something ought to be the most politically viable thing in the world that needs to be changed"

Welcome...I'm retired in FL and displaced too but this is the best place for me. Hope all goes well with your heart. I recently started a diet, a pre-1492 diet which has been working well for me, so my objective is to get healthy.

Welcome here.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the site. I love animals as well. Currently I have four hamsters and birds.
      Make sure to post on the books thread http://www.powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=62514

And look, a Stitch smiley!

Comment

Welcome, from another animal lover.
        Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.