greetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greetings

Hey everyone I justheritage"to say hey and introduce myself. I'm genetically 1/8 north Carolina Cherokee and live in southern Indiana. I have always had a strong tie to my native heritage and have always wanted to be more informed on the practices lost in the WASPS. However I've never felt I wouldn't be disrespecting the culture in some way shape or form.

This feeling has been kind of smoothed out as of late though. My wife has been curious of the post life spiritual world since her childhood as she lived in a house occupied by shadow people near Atlanta Georgia. She has since become close friends with a group of "investigators". This has happened to iron a few things out for me as a few of the people that we have met specialize in the past lives of current humans.

The day I first met one of the people that focus on the past life side not a word was mentioned about my heritage until they casually asked me if I'm still in touch with my native roots. I replied that I was a bit as I have Cherokee in my background but no one in my family actively practices it. She made the comment of "I wasn't referring to your current heritage". I asked her to explain what she meant and she told me that she had seen a head dress and hunting materials as well as battle gear with me and in my home through the evening. We started talking a bit more about it and the animals that appealed to me and that I have always connected to without any major reason. Those animals happened to consist of the Thunderbird, red tailed hawk, wolf and whale. I was told to research that set of animals and see if anything was felt.

Through my research I was very drawn to the Makah tribe of the Olympic peninsula. There are things that mesh with me and the tribe that had no explanation as a child. I feel a stronger sense of connection and pride than ever in my life.

I hope I'm accepted here and not cast away, I was informed my feelings and presence were as strong as they are because I died young.

I hope to not be judged here and if there are any Makah members here please do not hesitate to message me if you see fit

Originally posted by RedTailWhale View Post
    Hey everyone I justheritage"to say hey and introduce myself. I'm genetically 1/8 north Carolina Cherokee and live in southern Indiana. I have always had a strong tie to my native heritage and have always wanted to be more informed on the practices lost in the WASPS. However I've never felt I wouldn't be disrespecting the culture in some way shape or form.

This feeling has been kind of smoothed out as of late though. My wife has been curious of the post life spiritual world since her childhood as she lived in a house occupied by shadow people near Atlanta Georgia. She has since become close friends with a group of "investigators". This has happened to iron a few things out for me as a few of the people that we have met specialize in the past lives of current humans.

The day I first met one of the people that focus on the past life side not a word was mentioned about my heritage until they casually asked me if I'm still in touch with my native roots. I replied that I was a bit as I have Cherokee in my background but no one in my family actively practices it. She made the comment of "I wasn't referring to your current heritage". I asked her to explain what she meant and she told me that she had seen a head dress and hunting materials as well as battle gear with me and in my home through the evening. We started talking a bit more about it and the animals that appealed to me and that I have always connected to without any major reason. Those animals happened to consist of the Thunderbird, red tailed hawk, wolf and whale. I was told to research that set of animals and see if anything was felt.

Through my research I was very drawn to the Makah tribe of the Olympic peninsula. There are things that mesh with me and the tribe that had no explanation as a child. I feel a stronger sense of connection and pride than ever in my life.

I hope I'm accepted here and not cast away, I was informed my feelings and presence were as strong as they are because I died young.

I hope to not be judged here and if there are any Makah members here please do not hesitate to message me if you see fit
    You won't be judged here and don't worry about your post. It makes me laugh.
    Wanjica Infinity No One

Comment

Originally posted by wanjica_the_one View Post
      You won't be judged here and don't worry about your post. It makes me laugh.
      Why does it make you laugh?

Comment

Why does it make you laugh?
        I didnt find anything Amusing on your post either, so I also dont know what he means..

Oh and Welcome

Comment

Welcome to powwows.com. We are a forum for the discussion of powwow dancing and powwow related crafts, not metaphysics. Indeed, most of us come from cultures that do not consider these appropriate or safe topics to discuss in an anonymous, online forum. We prefer to take these matters privately to those who specialize is such matters within our community.

I do have a question, maybe you can answer. What do you mean practice?

I have had a number of people of distant Native descent, tell me, as you did, their family didn't "practice." I find this an odd usage. Practice, like being Indian was a religion or martial art or musical instrument. Being part of a tribal community is kinship, shared mores, common stories, and mutual geography as well as ceremony. I can't be a non-practicing Indian any more than I can be a non-practicing woman.

Now, you will also learn Native people are great fans of teasing and other forms of humor. So, take this as intended :)

I want to practice being Indian. Maybe if I practice hard enough I'll end up looking like Irene Bedard!
          Last edited by OLChemist; 05-09-2014, 08:53 PM. Reason: Grammatical moving violation.

Comment

Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
            Welcome to powwows.com. We are a forum for the discussion of powwow dancing and powwow related crafts, not metaphysics. Indeed, most of us come from cultures that do not consider these appropriate or safe topics to discuss in an anonymous, online forum. We prefer to take these matters privately to those who specialize is such matters within our community.

I do have a question, maybe you can answer. What do you mean practice?

I have had a number of people of distant Native descent, tell me, as you did, their family didn't "practice." I find this an odd usage. Practice, like being Indian was a religion or martial art or musical instrument. Being part of a tribal community is kinship, shared mores, common stories, and mutual geography as well as ceremony. I can't be a non-practicing Indian any more than I can be a non-practicing woman.

Now, you will also learn Native people are great fans of teasing and other forms of humor. So, take this as intended :)

I want to practice being Indian. Maybe if I practice hard enough I end up looking like Irene Bedard!

Nor am I here to discuss metaphysics, I'm looking for a community to discuss things with as well as gain a true sense of community. I merely wanted to be upfront and honest about where I am personally at from post 1.

As far as "practicing" I suppose I chose a poor word. I would say a better vocabulary selection would be that they are not in touch with their own native American roots.

Comment

Nor am I here to discuss metaphysics, I'm looking for a community to discuss things with as well as gain a true sense of community. I merely wanted to be upfront and honest about where I am personally at from post 1.

As far as "practicing" I suppose I chose a poor word. I would say a better vocabulary selection would be that they are not in touch with their own native American roots.
              You're on a roll for now I am laughing twice as hard.
              Wanjica Infinity No One

Comment

I guess I am confused..
                Why the Makah? They live in an isolated community in Western Washington
                They are a small tribe and know each other having grown up around each other. There connection to one another is not only community but language and culture.
                You say you are NC Cherokee.
                A tribe that is as far from the Makah's in language and culture and distance that can possibly be.

Why not learn your own tribes history language and culture you would have a better chance to be accepted there than you would with somebody you have no ties with??
                ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                Till I Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                  I guess I am confused..
                  They are a small tribe and know each other having grown up around each other. There connection to one another is not only community but language and culture.
                  A tribe that is as far from the Makah's in language and culture and distance that can possibly be.

Why not learn your own tribes history language and culture you would have a better chance to be accepted there than you would with somebody you have no ties with??
                  He was connected to the Makah in another life.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by nicamarvin View Post
                    I didnt find anything Amusing on your post either, so I also dont know what he means..

Oh and Welcome

It figures that you wouldn't know because you don't understand. You're a paradox remember, you're like a native pocho.
                    Wanjica Infinity No One

Comment

Originally posted by wanjica_the_one View Post
                      It figures that you wouldn't know because you don't understand. You're a paradox remember, you're like a native pocho.
                      I amy be all that but I know Laughing at other people comments is not nice..

Comment

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                        I guess I am confused..

Thanks for this reply, I really appreciate your input. I have also been looking into the eastern band of Cherokee and am beginning to realize a stronger feeling for it than previously.

No need to concern yourself Marvin, tough guys will be tough guys

Comment

I use laughter as medicine. How dare you come about and tell me to be nice.
                          Wanjica Infinity No One

Comment

aww wanji , everybody tells you to play nice and it doesn't ever bother you ! Why let this guy ?
                            I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
                            It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

RedTailWhale, please bear with me here. I get a lot nicer toward the end. But, I'm going for a teachable moment, first.

I didnt find anything Amusing on your post either....
                              Let me explain why some people are laughing by quoting from "How to Write the Great American Indian Novel," by Sherman Alexie:

"In the Great American Indian Novel, when it is finally written,/ all the white people will be Indians and all the Indians will be ghosts."

Most of us have had more than few total strangers come up to us and announce they "feel a deep connection" to us, or they have a DNA test that says they're 3.76489374% Hid-In-The-Woods Cherokee of Southern California, Inc., or they were us in a past life. While they are saying this, if your appearance conforms to what they consider phenotypically Indian, they will look like they're getting ready to plant sloppy kiss on your check. Or if you fail to look Native enough, they'll have a gleam in their eye that indicates they're readying their Indian bonafides to trump you in a game of I'm more Indian in spirit than you. Should you fail to recognize and embrace your long lost, complexion challenged brother woe betide you. You will be told you are disgrace to your ancestors and just a plain bad old meanie.

And after a brief wish fulfillment fantasy about exactly what your ancestors would have done with this descent of the invaders, you realize this entire exchange has nothing to do with you. They aren't interacting with you as a person, but with some avatar of their romantic ideal of an Indian. But, being real Native person you are going to be a profound disappointment. Ultimately, you will be judged insufficiently authentic.

In the end you have choice, laugh over the fact that they'll never get it or cry. Laugh at the foolish stereotypes or cry over the dual burden of invisibility and perceived inauthenticity.

As for the OP, I am actually sympathetic. Based on my reading of his posts, he seems like so many other seekers I've met in my lifetime. He's trying to find a connection to some kin somewhere to fill that emptiness that results from living in a land to which you have no deep roots. But, he's gotten everything all mixed up with a New-Age retread of appropriated Hinduism and plain-old Spiritism.

So, rather than taking a trip to Cherokee, having himself a plate of bacon, cornbread, and scrambled eggs with ramps, and listening to some of that damn fine Cherokee hymn singing, he's looking to a tribe clear across the country. He could go meet himself some distant relatives and feel power of his homeland. Maybe even have some of the old family stories wake up, when he sees where his people come from. But instead he's chasing ghosts. It is sad. If he came to community in humility and an awareness of the boundaries imposed by being an outsider and distant descendant, he might have gotten some real insights.
                              Last edited by OLChemist; 05-11-2014, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.